1. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Valid HTML -> Impact on SERPs

I have always thought (although with no hard evidence) that valid HTML code would be benneficial if anything in google.

I found an interesting read here - http://www.site-reference.com/articles/Search-Engines/Valid-HTML-Does-Google-Care.html

Now I wouldn't for a minute think of purposely making a sites code invalid HTML. But very often you do get a debate that my site has messy code and ranks finr - vs the code is the reason google can't index it properly.

I have seen some sites done in front page that would rank well if the code was clean but I have also seen some sites with really bad code done in front page that rank well!

MSN definately rewards good clean code but what about google - any thoughts?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

RE: Valid HTML -> Impact on SERPs

I can't see it having a massive impact, just have a look at this: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.google.co.uk

However, having a valid website is a good thing to ensure cross-browser conformity!
    Last edited by Ralphster; Mar 22nd, 2006 at 08:19 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Valid code has 0 impact on Google rankings. Choose any popular keyword and you will see the majority of the top rankings do not validate. Matt Cutts has also explicitely stated that code validation is not a factor Google looks at or cares about. And lastly, from a search engine goal perspective, it would make no sense. When a user searches for something, they want information. They coiuldn't care less how the site providing that info is coded.

There are many reasons to stick with proper coding syntax, but SEO is not one of them.

Comments on this post

• FogHorn agrees : Yup!

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I agree with brandall
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by brandall
    There are many reasons to stick with proper coding syntax, but SEO is not one of them.
    Hummm... strange, it is in the mouth of the world that correct html syntax do care. Of course there are other factors more important that can overlap that.

top 10 in google.com search "google correct html syntax":
    web.olm1.com/search_engine_tips/5655.php

The catch is to have more content than HTML trash... that definitely will help.

Cheers
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Assuming your code isn't so messy that G can't understand it...
    The only positive effect I can think of (and it is a little tenuous - lol) is that - by validating - you are effectively ensuring that your site will be correctly viewed in most browsers...
    Webmasters & site owners use a wide variety of browsers...
    Therefore valid code will ensure your site renders correctly, thus "encouraging" more free incoming links.

I told you it was tenuous
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  13. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    Assuming your code isn't so messy that G can't understand it...
    The only positive effect I can think of (and it is a little tenuous - lol) is that - by validating - you are effectively ensuring that your site will be correctly viewed in most browsers...
    Webmasters & site owners use a wide variety of browsers...
    Therefore valid code will ensure your site renders correctly, thus "encouraging" more free incoming links.

I told you it was tenuous
    it doesn't matter. But IMHO it goes with proffessionalism. As long as your site is spiderable and all the content can be read. However, it may be of some benefit in the future and its not hard to do so why not go for it.
    Work Smarter, Not Harder
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Notus
    Hummm... strange, it is in the mouth of the world that correct html syntax do care.
    I'm not sure what you are saying here, so please excuse me if I have misunderstood you.

To be clear though, I am a big proponent of proper coding syntax. Poor coding is simply not professional, IMHO, and may lead to a lot of current and future browser compatibility issues. But the fact is, it has no effect on Google SEO. If the "mouth of the world" says otherwise, said mouth misspeaks.
  17. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by brandall
    I'm not sure what you are saying here, so please excuse me if I have misunderstood you.

To be clear though, I am a big proponent of proper coding syntax. Poor coding is simply not professional, IMHO, and may lead to a lot of current and future browser compatibility issues. But the fact is, it has no effect on Google SEO. If the "mouth of the world" says otherwise, said mouth misspeaks.
    Nicely put
    I agree with you & googler about the professionalism aspect though - I also like the "secure feeling" I get when I know the site is right!
  19. What do you do again?
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Basically agree as long as incorrect code is not so bloated as to not allow complete caching of pages. Incorrect syntax and unnecessary code can create pages that are too large for Google to fully index. I have seen countless pages that are made of of 300+ lines of code when 100 would have done it. The majority of the time though this is more a web standards and accessibilty issue. Other advantages to trim, clean code are usabilty, scalability and transferability.
  21. No Profile Picture

[QUOTE=brandall]I'm not sure what you are saying here, so please excuse me if I have misunderstood you.

I was just saying there are a lot of SEO articles claiming that good HTML coding can have effect on Google Rankings...

Some say yes some say don't and we get confuse...

But even if good HTML does not care fore ranking of course it will bring a lot of other benefits so we must follow it.

Cheers
  23. My SE ran out of Gas...
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

may or may not they have influence on the SERPs..

ERRORS never get recommended anywhere...

So I am not getting the idea on Keeping them inside - while there is a better way to clean them - no matter, it may or maynot help your Ranks..

does-w3c-html-css-validation-affect-ranking-in-google-
    you may find some more opinions here...
    Last edited by kichus; Mar 23rd, 2006 at 05:56 AM.
    KICHUS - SEO KiD
    "Sooner or later, those who win are those who believe they can."
    • Virtue SEO - "a plan with the virtue of being practical"

SEO Consultant India
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think validation is more important for new sites, while old sites are established so they have nothing to "prove" to Google. I think it's possible that having a domain registered for 5+ years and a validly coded page may help in minimizing the sandbox penalty because spammy pages usually would not go to the trouble.

It definitely does not hurt your rankings and it increases your website's usability. If it's possible, I would validate.

My $.02.