1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Using new domain without creating duplicate content?

Hey guys,

Is it possible to change my site domain whilst keeping my old domains email address active for people to send mail to during the migration?

I want to do this whilst avoiding a hosting set-up that Google would deem as 'duplicate content' & knock my rank for? For example I can't use either of the following options:
    -One site hosted under multiple domains/host accounts
    -Multiple domains pointing towards one site

Someone mentioned a 301 Redirect but I have a feeling this only works by duplicating content online.

Please bare with me if any of this sounds misinterpreted, I'm a newb..
    many thanks 4 ur anwers,
    j
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

You mean buy a new domain yes ? ok so you only need hosting on the old site for email to work on that domain, you dont need to / shouldnt host a duplicate of what youre about to put into the new domain. Therefore take your webpages down from the old domain, leave hosting and email running, then write a 301 redirect in that old domain, which will tell google where to go and whats happening, and also take your visitors to the new domain automatically.

However do note - you will not be transferring rank or PR or anything else you may have gained seo wise to the new domain, from the old domain. The new domain will be judged on its own merits, but it will be vital to delete all content from the old domain to avoid a duplicate penalty. In this way you can have email running on both domains for as long you want to pay hosting for.
  5. Online Business Builder
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Hi Joshj, TBH I am bit confused with your question. Let me give you standardized migration guidelines that won't hurt your organic ranking.

1. Get both the domains verified in Google webmaster (using same ID/in one account)
    2. 301 all your old pages to their respected new pages
    3. In Google webamster of old domain, go to "change of address" located under configuration tab
    4. Select your new domains and submit

you are done.

per my knowledge, email has not nothing to do with redirection. you will be receiving emails as long as you keep your old email server live.
    Lead, follow or leave the way...