1. No Profile Picture
    TBF
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Using different variant sites for essentially one company

Hi there - it's been a long time but I hope to start getting involved again.

Firstly a question. I am shortly to have an interview with a company and so been trawling their website and checking them out. On doing so, I've noticed they have 4 separate websites (might be more but haven't had the time to delve):
    (e.g. say if their company name was dave and they sold socks)
    a) dave.co.uk - the main website
    b) davesocks.co.uk - as far as I can see it is moreorless a duplicate website
    c) davecareers.co.uk - their jobs site
    d) welovesocks.co.uk - an 'independent' site with articles about socks and a blog about socks - with a number of links back to the main site

Now my first thoughts are 1) that the duplicate website (b) is a no no, 2) that the jobs site (c) could reasonably easily be included within their main website, and 3) the 'blog' (d) would bring greater linkage etc back to the main site if it was based there.

Currently, if you search on google for certain terms both (b) appears at No.4 and (a) appears at No.8

Your thoughts??
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I agree with you; it's silly to split focus (content, content marketing and backlinks) over 4 sites, rather than concentrating on a single site.

I would advise merging the sites (and be sure to set up 301 redirects appropriately, to consolidate the incoming link-juice).
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jul 3rd, 2017 at 02:06 PM.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]