I am going to try to make this short and sweet as possible.

Working with a eCommerce site.
Our system is setup so that the URL for each product looks like so:

h*tp://w*w.fakeTelevisionWebsite.com/products2.cfm/id/1828/name/Samsung-LCD-46-FlatScreen

I see that the majority of other website have shorter URLs like:

ht*p://w*w.fakeTelevisionWebsite.com/Samsung-LCD-46-FlatScreen

My opinion is that shorter URLs without the unnecessary words "/products2.cfm/id/1828/name/" would help my website improve in SERPs.
I recall Matt Cutts saying in one of his WebMaster Youtube videos, that as long as there are Keywords are in the url, it should not matter that much of the position of the keywords. ( h*tp://w*w.youtube.com/watch?v=gRzMhlFZz9I&feature=channel_video_title )

Also, if you look in the SEO Starter Guide ( h*tp://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/w*w.google.com/en/us/webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf) Page 9 states not to using lengthy URLs with unnecessary parameters and session IDs.

The company who built and supports our website said they could re-create the url structure so that it looks like so: h*tp://w*w.fakeTVwebsite.com/#productName#-#productID#"

The company also said that if they did that...
"changing your URL's at this point can be detrimental. We will have to setup 301 redirects for all of your products which could result in lowered SEO rankings, and your products URL's already have the product name in the URL and the 2 url variables which are present are meaningful. "

From what I have read, Permanent 301 redirects are accepted by Google and wont harm any positions that I currently have.

Also, our website is not even a year old. Our positions are horribly low due to being a new website, and not a lot of in-bound and out-bound links, and the majority of our content is scraped due to the massive amount of merchandise we have.

So... my thinking is that, changing the URL cannot be that detrimental, when our rankings are bad as it is, and Its better to get it URLs corrected early, then worry about it later.
Any opinions?