1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exclamation URGENT: How to remove PDF file from Google Search Results??

All,

One of my client website is on test server and 80-100 pages of the site that mostly includes pdf files showing on Google search results. Client want me to remove the whole site from Google search. He don't want to leak the information before launch. Last month I have implemented below Google webmaster recommended techniques for removing site from Google search:-

1. Implementation of robotst.txt with below text in file:-

User-agent: * Disallow: /

2. Implemented below code on all pages of site:-
    <meta name="robots" content="noarchive" />
    <meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />
    <meta name="robots" content="nosnippet" />

3. I have placed entire website removal request in Google webmaster tool. But the request got denied because of below reason:-

Your request has been denied because the webmaster of the site hasn't applied the appropriate robots.txt file or meta tags to block us from indexing or archiving this page.
    Please work with the webmaster of this site or select an alternate removal option from the webpage removal request tool.

4. After that I have manually submitted the site pages including the pdf file on Google webmaster tool - "Individual URLs: web pages, images, or other files" option. Now most of the site pages are removed from Google search but pdf files removal request got denied because of below reason:-

Your request has been denied because the webmaster of the site hasn't applied the appropriate robots.txt file or meta tags to block us from indexing or archiving this page.
    Please work with the webmaster of this site or select an alternate removal option from the webpage removal request tool.

I want to know how I can remove these pdf files from Google search.

Thanks for reading this thread and help.

SEO DNA
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

specifically disallow googlebot and place an password protect in the htaccess file.
  5. No Profile Picture
    mtw
    Contributing User

Yeah password protect the directory containing the pdfs - check your robots.txt through webmaster tools. Read more on robots.txt at robotstxt.org.
  7. No Profile Picture

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 1fast72nova
    specifically disallow googlebot and place an password protect in the htaccess file.
    Originally Posted by mtw
    Yeah password protect the directory containing the pdfs - check your robots.txt through webmaster tools. Read more on robots.txt at robotstxt.org.
    Thanks for the reply.

I think the command
    User-agent: * Disallow: / disallow all and every type of robots to enter the site.

Protecting the PDF directory through password is a good idea but it will just block the visitors to open the pdf. The Google search result issue of these pdf pages will still exist.

What's your point of view??
  9. No Profile Picture
    mtw
    Contributing User

Have you thought about creating a new directory - placing your pdfs in this directory and then putting a no follow on this directory using your robots.txt file?
  11. No Profile Picture
    mtw
    Contributing User

example:

User-Agent: *
    Disallow: /new_pdf_directory
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by SEO_DNA
    Thanks for the reply.

I think the command
    User-agent: * Disallow: / disallow all and every type of robots to enter the site.

Protecting the PDF directory through password is a good idea but it will just block the visitors to open the pdf. The Google search result issue of these pdf pages will still exist.

What's your point of view??
    Does this help?

http://www.antezeta.com/blog/avoid-search-engine-indexing
  15. No Profile Picture

All,

Thanks for the help. I had successfully blocked the PDF files through robots.txt file and it works good. But still some pdf files with same folder name coming on search results. I have to submit search removal request of these files manually on Google webmaster tool.

Google robots didn't crawl my site after implemented all search removal codes on my site pages, but still some old archive pages are showing on Google search. Every time I have to submit search removal request of archive result pages manually on Google webmaster tool. Like yesterday when I had checked the status of my site on Google search then only 2 pages were showing. I had removed that 2 pages through Google webmaster tool. Today again 2 new pages are showing on search result.

My question here is that "how I can check all Google old archive pages of my site, so that I will remove them one time??"

Thanks for your help.
    SEO_DNA