1. Eating rice crackers
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Update - Those of you who have lost your rankings, read this post

Recently many of you may have noticed a significant decline in rankings, poor placement, wrong pages being returned and new pages appearing on page 1.

Recently, Google has been doing alot of work on the updated version of Google known as Caffeine, which was initially called an update, but will be more like a renovation of the algorithm.

For some reason, Google seems to have switched off its geographic filtering which has meant that UK results are now flooded with worldwide websites with all sorts of domain extensions from America (.com) to Australia (.com.au) and many more.

Because of this, alot of websites have seen an initial decline, typically because authoritive websites in other duristictions have now taken a high spot in Google UK results, pushing other results down in many circumstances (not all).

This is not the definitive answer for all of you, many of you may be suffering ranking decline as a result of a website issue or other factor.

But this has caused alot of good quality websites to loose footing, I suspect Google are working hard to Iron this out, because UK search with results from South Africa or other parts of the world really are not relevant.

I have done an article on Google Caffeine, feel free to read it, I have done a few tests on it to see how it measures against Google currently

http://www.assertive-media.co.uk/blog/google-caffeine/
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by danielfoley
    Recently many of you may have noticed a significant decline in rankings, poor placement, wrong pages being returned and new pages appearing on page 1.

Recently, Google has been doing alot of work on the updated version of Google known as Caffeine, which was initially called an update, but will be more like a renovation of the algorithm.

For some reason, Google seems to have switched off its geographic filtering which has meant that UK results are now flooded with worldwide websites with all sorts of domain extensions from America (.com) to Australia (.com.au) and many more.

Because of this, alot of websites have seen an initial decline, typically because authoritive websites in other duristictions have now taken a high spot in Google UK results, pushing other results down in many circumstances (not all).

This is not the definitive answer for all of you, many of you may be suffering ranking decline as a result of a website issue or other factor.

But this has caused alot of good quality websites to loose footing, I suspect Google are working hard to Iron this out, because UK search with results from South Africa or other parts of the world really are not relevant.

I have done an article on Google Caffeine, feel free to read it, I have done a few tests on it to see how it measures against Google currently

http://www.assertive-media.co.uk/blog/google-caffeine/
    Interesting thoughts but where are your citations?

How do you know
    a. that any aspect of caffeine has been introduced into the general results?
    b. you are stating that less local results are being offered, I have not seen this in Google USA.
    c. You failed to mention the main premise behind caffeine, to index more closely to real time.

I like your article, and the fact that you are actually attempting to write superb content. You need citations or evidence to back up your claims IMO.

Its a good start...
    Work Smarter, Not Harder
  5. Eating rice crackers
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Thanks, I apreciate your feedback,

I had trialed Google caffeine through www2.sandbox.google.com, and used a query string to filter the results to UK using &GL=UK on the end of the URL query,

i.e.
    http://www2.sandbox.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=kitchens+in+kent&aq=f&aqi=g2&fp =7b823cb19394de08&gl=uk

The geographic issues are 100% present in Google UK's results, i.e.
    Searching for daily news in Google UK returns all sorts of domains from extensions including .com.au, .lk, .nz and more.

Google UK should be filtering the results based on the users IP, for regionalisation to remove irrelevant results.

I admit, I have a few other things to test, maybe I could provide some more citations.

The results from Google Caffeine do not appear to be much different, I guess its still under development, in beta, and has yet to have advances implemented.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Drop in ranking for UK

hi,
    Thanks a lot for the info above.

I noticed some great fall in my website ranking. My URL is discountwebdesign.co.uk
    My website was previously on the 6th position and now i see it on the 2nd page of google.co.uk

Do you have any advise and tips so i can get my rankings back.
    Thanks
    Mike
  9. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I actually have another theory about caffine. Websites which have tripped filters previously and have some sort of penalty seem to have returned for me. I am under the belief that the caffine url is just google without any filters in place like they do with their current index. It could also explain your issue with the non uk results in the uk rankings.

Also my understanding is that this caffine update is not so much a change in the algorithm but more of an infrastructure change so that they CAN role out algorithmic changes as and when they are needed far more easily and leaves more room to do things the old infrastructure couldnít. I doubt we will see much movement at first with the caffine update until google start actually changing their algorithm significantly.

EDIT

Also as the title of this post is "i have lost my rankings" let me give some views as why some people lose their rankings;

1. You have an unnatural link profile. This could be both externally and internally. Do you have far too many targeted anchor texts pointing to your homepage? Whatís the % of internal/homepage links?
    2. When you link out, do you do so naturally? Do you link out to a website without editing your content on an internal page? Wouldnít this look odd? yes? Then dont you think google might feel the same and then "remove the page rank" which so many people complain about? Or have you actually sold links at all? if so who from? Was it a link broker? if so google track these and will notice that you gave them a link.
    3. Do you have multiple websites targeting the same industry which have the same IP/Whois etc? I have evidence google doesnít like this.

These are just a couple of extra which i donít think were on the previous articles. Be aware these new "lost my rankings" could be you tripping one of these filters rather than being affected by the caffine update, which i donít even believe is even in fruition yet.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : review on next time
    Last edited by seomonkeymanocp; Aug 25th, 2009 at 05:56 AM. Reason: additions added
  11. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I think your website fell because the content on at least your home page is duplicated all over the www.

Do a google search for your text: Google results
    Once your web design solution is ready and your website is published online, your potential customers need to see it. A website that is invisible to its target audience is of not much good. A complete website solution must have at least the basic elements of online marketing and search engines offer a unique opportunity to market your website to millions of potential customers online.
    You will see the first 6 results mirror that content exactly.

If you stole the text, I hope you never return to the serps for you are a thief. If you had your text stolen, ask them to remove your work, if they don't go after them with a DMCA report

Originally Posted by mikel7
    hi,
    Thanks a lot for the info above.

I noticed some great fall in my website ranking. My URL is discountwebdesign.co.uk
    My website was previously on the 6th position and now i see it on the 2nd page of google.co.uk

Do you have any advise and tips so i can get my rankings back.
    Thanks
    Mike