Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Update is Finished!!!!!

All data centers are updated. Good luck to everybody. Let the crawl begin.
  3. No Profile Picture

i see www-sj showing slightly differents results.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree. In fact, they all seem to be slightly different. A search for my kw shows that. in general, the same urls are showing but usuallu differences in the ranks.

Any, they all show the new sj-type index, not the old one.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

what do you mean by "Let the crawl begin"

could someone explain why google updates this way? It really doesnt seem to make any sense.

(1) implement old data onto a datacenter for new algo testing
    (2) strip old backlinks, non working 404's etc.
    (3) take the results from old data and spread across entire google network
    (4) list OLD data in all search engines for three to four days
    (5) add new backlinks & new spam filters to old data?
    (6) add newly crawled data (freshbot) or (deep crawl)?
    (7) apply this system to newest database and post results?

is this what is happening or can somebody please define the true steps as above.

i have had crawl20.googlebot.com through crawl27.googlebot.com at my site daily scouring new content (since this used to be a yahoo store and is now an independant ecommerce store with all new content)

my PR went from PR3 to PR0 today without a change in any of the listed pages. all the current pages represent the old yahoo domain and are redirected to my root domain. i assumed that the bots would see that every page is actually a 404 error with a redirect and remove them from the results completely, however this has not happened and doesnt make sense to any of the discussions and assumptions of the timeline structure of the above.

i am not too concerned on the PR rating as i know it will come back. i really just want to know if the timeline of events is accurate above or can someone post one step by step for us.

BTW alltheweb hit my site and in THREE days EVERY single link was posted with 80 percent of all my keywords on the first page!

maybe GOOGLE should take some notes.
  9. No Profile Picture

The thing is though fillow that all data centres are now showing results which differ to what they were showing a month ago. Even though for the search term I'm interested in I appear from position 3 - 5 across all data centres I was in position 35 after the last update. For some reason people on this forum seem to think that google is still going to be adding in more back links and filters in the near future to stabalise the results (ie make them closer to what they usually are). My personal opinion on this is that it is just wishful thinking - I think the results showing now are going to more or less stay were they are.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

GooogleGod help us to avoid the fuzzy dances and all the sites to be listed corectly after the next dance!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The dance isn't over...it's just beginning a new phase.

J A todd, you nailed it. That appears to be what google is doing. It's some ridiculous system, eh?!

Here's a googleguy quote from the 19th of may:

"The Google Update Schedule Thoughts:

I think the plan will be

1) deploy the new index/system across all data centers
    2) begin pulling in more data (i.e. newer backlinks, pages, and spam updates)
    3) once new data is into the system, begin pulling in new algorithms that have been waiting in the wings

I believe the current status is that we're around step 1.5 or thereabouts; something like 7 or so data centers have the new index/system. I expect the current pace of switching data centers to continue about as it has been. I would expect step two to occur over roughly the same timeframe as a typical index cycle (thus the "more than weeks, less than months" comment). Step 3 is longer-term and ongoing, but I'm really excited about what we'll be able to do to improve quality across the board.

Hope that helps,
    GoogleGuy"

It's a little less cryptic than the garbage he normally posts.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I love the part where he says this "dance" will last "less than months, more than weeks"...ROFL!

So yes, it does appear we are screwed with this horrible database for some time.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So does this mean that my site should or could recieve a DEEP CRAWL (since i assume the current crawls where all freshbots checking existing links) and that that DEEP CRAWL if it happens has a chance to get indexed?

Not too concerned whether it does or doesnt this month as the new site is only 5% done (about 500 pages).

Also for those of you that have an ecommerce store and use Froogle Beta or froogle.google.com or www.froogle.com look for indexing to happen soon there with the results added to google, once they add the TAB for Froogle on Google's main page it should take on the look of Yahoo's ecommerce store directory that uses SEO techniques for listing placement.

Froogle currently uses a pure random algo until it is a big boy and can think on its own.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

J A Todd: Your list looks good to me.

I gather that this update is different because there has been a major change in the way Google works.

Probably both the format of the data and the actual server software had to be updated, and the new data couldn't be sent out to the old software.

They packaged up a distribution version of the software, along with an initial set of data, and shipped it out to the data centers. They tested it first on -sj - including testing the update process. When they were sure that worked they rolled it out everywhere.

That's why the data is old - it was prepared in the lab along with the new software.

Now they need to start feeding new data to the data centers.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks holymoly & Mr. Web,

So my theory is correct, except that this is NOT normal that the OLD DATA is used from start to finish. Normally the above timeline would have been applied to a current data set, correct?

and this Dance "Stroll" is taking longer because of the new algo testing.

Has anyone else had INSTANT Success with AllTheWeb as I have?

(note) my success with AllTheWeb is just on placement not on Hits to my Site as it appears to only have 3-5% of the market compared to "G's" 75-80%

(another note) i have just recently moved to San Jose and am trying to figure out where all the google-trolls get their starbucks. 8)
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I know its been posted before; but this dance is totally hosed. I'll just give a single example, I'm sure I could come up with a ton of others:

Google search: animal figurines

1 - keywords not in title
    2 - fine, decent listing
    3,4 - at least it has the keywords in the title
    5-10 - keywords either not in title, or at end of title
    11 (me) - keywords at front of title and decent KW density on the page

even below me, all of these people were on page 1 before this dance began. I used to be #4, the ones on the front page were never even up there till now. This dance is a boondoggle
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This dance is no where near over.....

If it was there is no way my new pharmacy site would be competing with the big boys on some cream terms. Im on 1st or 2nd page for every single term I optimized for. In some cases number 1 out of over 1 mil results. And I have a PR0. IF I stay there Google is truly frucked. No PR- no inbound links page 1

Now thats some serious optimizing
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is the update. Not normal or abnormal, but Google's update. And not your update! No matter how much whining you do, it is NOT going to change.

Google decided to start with "known" data to implement new algorithms. This means Google decided to ignore thae last crawl and instead will reintroduce "new" data as a result of new crawls (as a monthly cycle).

So you're right. The index is not static. It is never static. Every new data brought in by the fresh or deep crawls invariably changes the index.

So let the crawl begin.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think most people will admit that this update is very abnormal. Lots of searches on google are not retreiving the most relevant results right now. webmasterworld has a billion posts on this very same topic. I would not mind dropping positions, in theory, if the ones that beat me are legitimate. That is fine, but when the ones who are above are not "as relevant" based on their titles/KW density, then I start to have issues with it.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: