1. No Profile Picture
    Utility Industry Guru
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Understanding Back-Links

I have a links page with about 100 websites listed. Here's my 3 uestions:

1- About 70% still have us linked after a year, what do I do with the 30% that dropped us?

2- Of the 70% that link us, only about 40% have any page rank what-so-ever on my Google toolbar. Do I delete the lower ranking sites (such as a rank of 0 to 3)?

3- What exactly is a proper link? just my website name or my website name with an almost exact duplicate of the main H1 statement on my homepage?

Luni

FYI, I've already started to remove links from our links page if our site is no longer listed on their site. I just haven't uploaded the new version.
  3. A trained killer.. in SEO

Originally Posted by Luni
    I have a links page with about 100 websites listed. Here's my 3 uestions:
    1- About 70% still have us linked after a year, what do I do with the 30% that dropped us?
    Definitely drop them. They didn't keep their word, and removed your link. Kick them out!
    2- Of the 70% that link us, only about 40% have any page rank what-so-ever on my Google toolbar. Do I delete the lower ranking sites (such as a rank of 0 to 3)?
    Now, that would be unethical. If you want to remove them, notify them first, so that they will remove your links too. But, you shouldn't just drop them like this.
    3- What exactly is a proper link? just my website name or my website name with an almost exact duplicate of the main H1 statement on my homepage?
    A link on a related site, with your keywords in the anchor text is what you should be aiming for.. Other links are still okay though!

Good Luck... Now upload the page you created without the guys who dropped your links!!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Keep them or substitute them with links to web sites that you like, possibly relevant to site.

A 70% fake popularity is better than a 100% fake popularity.

This advice may sound crazy, but technically speaking it isn't.

No.

3- What exactly is a proper link?
    Well, it depends on many things. But a link with a word related to the contents of the page (page, not web site) it points to is a nice link.
  7. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Remember you can always contact the "offending" webmasters to re-include your link.

I'd drop them instantly if they don't respond (positively) within a week AND the link is not really related. Only link out "for free" to the very best of related sites. Link exchange is give and take. Just give them a chance to correct. It'll benefit you as well as them.

Don't drop PR0's. Think of the future. A link to a PR0 page doesn't hurt you. Their PR0.3 (or whatever) backlink will always benefit you (if only slightly). But some PR0s make big jumps... My (main site) homepage went from 0 to 5 one day

You can detect the best of links by just checking your backlinks (or references to your "url") on a number of search engines/tools... Some of them are quickly picked up. Some dirs show up in days, especially on beta.search.msn.com

Also keep in mind that you can ask webmasters to change your "mydomain.com" clickable text to something more useful. You can always ditch the worst of them later.
    ...please help me w/ the real Redscowl Bluesingsky...how2 check backlinks...now postin' @ SEO Refugee ...
    <`)~ LOL now that I finally have a paypal account, I'm charging 19,- for SEO advice via PM. Seriously...
  9. No Profile Picture
    Utility Industry Guru

k, sounds good and pretty straight forward.

I'm curious, how come google only shows about 1/2 of my backlinks? (is a backlink the same as a recip link / 2 way)

thx
  11. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Half? You're kidding right? They only show 5-6% for most sites.

Apparently they do that to annoy you (or SEOers in general...) or in politer words to make the link: command less useful for SEO.

Try the other methods for checking backlinks. A combination gives you a pretty complete picture...
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I have a links page with about 100 websites listed.
    Everyone pretty much answered your questions but can I ask how big this page is filesize wise?

Make sure it's under 101k. If it's just links you should be fine but if there is actual content on this page you might have exceeded the 101k limit.
    -PK
  15. No Profile Picture
    Utility Industry Guru