1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Typical bounce rates on google?

i rank pretty well for most of my targeted keywords on google but i have noticed that the bounce rates to be around 50%.

is that normal for an e-commerce based website ranking well on google SERP? please advise

thank you
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I don't know what "typical" is.. way to many variables. In my opinion the number is irrelevant. The goal should be to make yours "excellent" by working to improve.

It is easier to double your sales by doubling your conversion rate than it is to double your traffic. Also, since you have some fixed costs you might only need to increase your sales by 50% to double your profits.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. 魔鬼是我的背部
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by webcornea
    i rank pretty well for most of my targeted keywords on google but i have noticed that the bounce rates to be around 50%.

is that normal for an e-commerce based website ranking well on google SERP? please advise

thank you
    ur bounce rate depends upon ur landing pages. u can get leads/conversions with bounce rate of 100% if ur landing pages fully meet the requirement of ur visitors and they are ready 2 take the purchase action instantly. For e.g. i am looking to buy a digital camera and i come 2 ur landing page. I like the product info and feature by feature comparison with other brands.I will place an order and will leave ur website. In this case the bounce rate will be 100% but u still got sale.

people leave an e-commerce website from the landing page for following reasons:

1) They didn't get what they expected.

2) They got what they expected but want to take the purchase decision later.

3) They got what they expected and they took the purchase action instantly.

4) ur website design and navigation didn't encourage visitors to browse ur website any further.

5) They r not cofident of ur product or doubt ur credibility.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : Good answer!
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I posted ages ago to see if you could get a consensus of typical user behaviour metrics. I like data, so having a number to go on is useful for me.

50% is fairly typical to good for an e-commerce site. Some of my sites are around 60% where as some new sites with really good content and neat designs are getting as low as 27%.

I think these numbers are very important. If you can improve your bounce rate you make the most out of the traffic levels you are getting but also you push your site up the SERPs and get more traffic.

Holding onto more traffic and getting more traffic sounds pretty good doesn't it?

This just goes back to what EGOL said, make your site as good as you can!