1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Two Websites Ranking for the Same Brand and Keyword

We have two sites currently ranking on page 1. Engagement with the first site is stronger and is where most of the marketing efforts take place. Would it be more worthwhile to:

a) kill the site with lower engagement and migrate anything unique to the other, or
    b) fine tune the focus of each site (ie. site 2 would be more for corporate advocacy and site 1 would be the transactional/informational site.)

We feel that having both could be diluting the brand and creating confusion with users, as some of the content starts to become the same on both sites and there is no difference in the goal: to have someone fill out an application. Love to hear some opinions on this…
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Having both is absolutely diluting the brand. Now, when you say they're both on Page 1 - are they ranking #s 1 and 2? I'd need a bit more information about how you would be fine-tuning to recommend one of your approaches over the other. If the keyword sets for each site would still be too similar, you might want to just kill the weaker site.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks Adam. For years they ranked 1 and 2, or close to it. Over the last 2 years it's been a steady decline. As of this week the higher engagement site is on page 2 and the weaker one is at the bottom of page 1 (and actually went to page 2 for a day).

The better site on page 2 actually has an unnatural link warning that we've been working to rectify.

The initial idea was to make the lower engagement site into a strict brand advocacy site (who, what, why, etc.,) and direct to the other transactional site where a user can apply and see the offerings, locations, etc.

Things kind of changed a bit and now we're looking at doing the following in order to have one singular site:

Our ultimate goal is to launch a new property and 301 both current sites to it, but we obviously need the penalty to be removed so it doesn't transfer any bad links. The new domain is one that has been owned but never used for years. It's a partial EMD/brand match and positions them against the main competition nicely.

Let me know what you think.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It sounds like you have your priorities in order. The unnatural links should definitely be addressed ASAP either by reaching out to webmasters or prepping a disavow document.

I approve of 301 redirecting to a new site. If this is done properly it will definitely give you the cleanest output. However, in 301 redirecting two sites with brand recognition and backlinks to one that has neither of these, there is a lot of risk.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks. The idea for the new URL would actually be to port over the exact site that currently has the penalty against it, once it has been removed. The branding would be the same and the new URL is actually a brand focused keyword that generates a good amount of traffic to the existing properties. Do you see any issues with pulling the other site over?
  11. No Profile Picture

Hey, here are the URLs if you would like to take a deeper look. I just realized the ones above don't link properly.

The site with the penalty (and the one that converts better that we want to port to the new URL): Military Loans from Omni Financial | Trusted for Over 63 Years

The other site in question:Military Loans
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm surprised militaryloans.com isn't the one ranking higher being an exact-match domain for "military loans." I did a quick check of the backlinks on that site and there's nothing that really shouted at me, but there are some that look unnatural so I can see why you got the links warning. The yesomni site has a few low-quality backlinks too. While you're removing backlinks from the one, you might want to do the same for the other.