1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

two simple questions - multiple links from 1 site and links to internal pages

Okay, I've been link begging for a month now, and picking up a good link here and there. Just today I got a new link from othersite.com Othersite.com linked to my site from three different pages! Will this increase my site's PR according to the formula: PR(A) = (1-d) + d (PR(T1)/C(T1) + ... + PR(Tn)/C(Tn)) or are multiple links from different pages on the same site irrelevant?

Furthermore, othersite.com linked not to my index page, but to an internal page: mysite.com/internalpage.htm. Is this useful overall, or should I try to get everyone to link to my index page?

Thanks,
    David
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi dseerveld

That formula can be useful but it is quite unlikely that it is the exact one Google uses. Just keep that in mind.

Google is based on the ranking of pages, not sites. So, multiple links from the same site but on different pages will most definitely be very good. The more the better. One thing to remember is only 1 link per PAGE can count towards your site. Google only counts the first one it sees per PAGE.

If it linked to an internal page and your internal pages link back to your home page than your home page will still get a boost, although not as much as if the links were to the home page itself.

Most people wants links to their home page because that is the page they use to go aftter the most difficult search phrases. If your index page already ranks high for your main phrases then it could be beneficial to link to internal pages to gain more traffic from secondary searches.
  5. Contributing User

Re: two simple questions - multiple links from 1 site and links to internal pages

Originally posted by dseerveld
    Okay, I've been link begging for a month now, and picking up a good link here and there. Just today I got a new link from othersite.com Othersite.com linked to my site from three different pages! Will this increase my site's PR according to the formula: PR(A) = (1-d) + d (PR(T1)/C(T1) + ... + PR(Tn)/C(Tn)) or are multiple links from different pages on the same site irrelevant?

Furthermore, othersite.com linked not to my index page, but to an internal page: mysite.com/internalpage.htm. Is this useful overall, or should I try to get everyone to link to my index page?

Thanks,
    David
    If you have inner pages which are category specific then its a good idea to get links with anchor text to your inner pages and boost them for their respective keywords/categories.
    However if you are interested only in some pr then ofcourse get them to your homepage.
    Create content rich sites.
    This will help a lot in the current algorithm.

Gaurav.
  7. web designer
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

good point gauravkumar.
    yes...larger sites may have a multi-keyphrase hierarchical structure that develops more specific keyphrase targets deeper into the site.

also...
    links to your internal pages will significantly help your homepage pr only if your internal linking system is set up to focus most of its pr on your homepage. otherwise you need to get links direct to your homepage if you want to boost your homepage pr.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you all for your help. This nice guy linked to my internal page from three separate PR5 pages, which is sure to give that page a big boost, since it's currently sitting at a measly PR3. That page links back to most of my other pages, so I guess it will give the others a slight boost.