1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Trying to understand why a new website ranks better than the older website

Hi Guys,
    I work as a full time web developer for a company. I got involved in SEO about 6 years ago and till couple of years ago I was doing pretty well. I had helped some local businesses/friends and family improve rankings for their local businesses. I know the whole game has changed drastically. In the past year, I started getting back into SEO. My own website that used to rank on the first page of google had dropped down to page 20. With some efforts I was able to move it back to page 3. Today I checked my site after a few months and it's down at Page 8. I had registered another domain in the last year which is a word press blog with no content on it. Only thing it has is couple of keywords in the domain name. This domain is on page 6. I just don't understand how. I'm sure there is a reason for this. I can give you the urls of both domain. I would like the gurus here to point it out why one has a better ranking than the other.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

There are a lot of factors that should be considered here. For your old site, have you re-analyzed your on page SEO? These days, it is very important that you have a site that got a really good on-page SEO. You also need to avoid low quality links and focus more on quality- do more content marketing and social media.

As for your new site, the high ranking may be because of the google dance. Since this is new, expect to get good rankings at first then it may also suffer from low or no ranking at all after a few more days. But this is normal. The true ranking will show afterwards when your site has become more established in terms of content and backlinks.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

All you've written is true. I was surprised too when I discovered that it's very problematic to increase in Godle SERP old sites that long lay at a loose end. Sometimes it's much harder than new domain. A few years ago - it was opposite - old domains have always had a head start in SEO than the ones that just bought. I think this is due to the fact that google puts on old and not working domains some kind of veto and to wake up such domain you need to place links to it from very authoritative resources.

Originally Posted by fazthegreat
    Hi Guys,
    I work as a full time web developer for a company. I got involved in SEO about 6 years ago and till couple of years ago I was doing pretty well. I had helped some local businesses/friends and family improve rankings for their local businesses. I know the whole game has changed drastically. In the past year, I started getting back into SEO. My own website that used to rank on the first page of google had dropped down to page 20. With some efforts I was able to move it back to page 3. Today I checked my site after a few months and it's down at Page 8. I had registered another domain in the last year which is a word press blog with no content on it. Only thing it has is couple of keywords in the domain name. This domain is on page 6. I just don't understand how. I'm sure there is a reason for this. I can give you the urls of both domain. I would like the gurus here to point it out why one has a better ranking than the other.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have had trouble with this before. Google seems to like "fresh" content, and will often index a newer site better than the old one, even if they are the exact same (for a while, until it is discovered that it is a duplicate)
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Also, you might want to work on your backlinking campaign, as Google is putting more resources into "verifying" a business, and looking more closely at their trust factor. If the people ahead of you in the SERP are viewed as more trusted and verified, they will always rank higher. Remember, focus on the WHO WHAT WHERE, and you should be able to pull back in a higher rank.