• Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Transferring Google trust from one website to another

I own two websites in the same very competitive niche:

Smaller site:
    250 pages
    Trusted by Google (shows snippets, top 8 in competitive keywords in SERPS)
    Relatively new
    No traffic by Bing (which means no keywords when researching pages in Search Console)

Bigger site:
    1050 pages
    Lost trust from Google (no snippets, much lower than should be for competitive keywords)
    Much older
    #1 in Bing (extremely important for keywords research)

I don't want to move content from Bigger to Smaller because I don't want to loose #1 rating in Bing and thus access to keywords research.

I would like to move Google trust from Smaller site to Bigger. Have anyone done this?

1.) 20, 50, 100 links from Smaller to Bigger?
    2.) 301 redirecting some of the pages?
    3.) 302 redirecting just to be on the safe side and have an ability to remove these in case of failure?
    4.) Any other ideas?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I would take the time to fix the problems with your bigger site...

Lost trust from Google (no snippets, much lower than should be for competitive keywords)
    Why did it lose trust as you put it.... Possibly due to the fact you did some marginal link building for that site ? This seems to be a likely answer.

I suspect, when you find the answer to that issue you will improve your site rankings for the older site.

2.) 301 redirecting some of the pages?
    3.) 302 redirecting just to be on the safe side and have an ability to remove these in case of failure?
    If you do redirects, use 301's not 302's. But I would find out what is wrong with the first site tho....
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I did link building. I signed up with SEMrush and disavowing those links right now. However, I also see there much more links from awful websites that I definitely did not build. Looks like one of my competitors was doing negative SEO on me. Isn't Google just ignoring all questionable links now partly because of negative SEO?
  7. No Profile Picture

Isn't Google just ignoring all questionable links now partly because of negative SEO?
    No Google is not ignoring all those questionable links.... Google knows a lot about the sites linking to you...
    Let me give you a reason why some links are not just ignored by Google.....

Google identifies a PBN. Google see you have link pointing to your site from them.
    Google then also knows that these PBN's charge for their services, so any links from them are direct attempts to manipulate search results.
    Also they were not created by accident !!!
    Google then hits your site with an automatic penalty, no message in your GSC telling you that you did wrong. They let the software punish your site.
    Some of these pieces of software are known as Panda, Possum and the one most get in trouble with is Penguin.

Now understand, all the above is just speculation on how Google works... but I think that is pretty damn accurate, what do you think ??
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In that case anyone could go and build a bunch of links pointing to their competitor and bring them down in ratings.

To me it makes more sense for Google to basically ignore most links and only consider links from a relatively small number of trusted domains.

I will disavow all terrible links I could find and if it works I will post here to let everyone know that you are right.
  11. No Profile Picture

In that case anyone could go and build a bunch of links pointing to their competitor and bring them down in ratings.
    Yeah, and they do that... but Google know more than Google lets on... LOL...

Again, the disavow file works for you in that event.
  13. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Optimist5

To me it makes more sense for Google to basically ignore most links and only consider links from a relatively small number of trusted domains.
    These are completely reasonable and intelligent expectations. It's just not how Google works.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The idea of website/domain "trust" has been around for many years. It seems we may have also entered into the long standing realm of confusion over the definitions of terms like "trust" and "domain authority". Here is an "oldie but goodie" video that is still correct...

As he explains it, "trust" is a vague term that is related to the nature of incoming links.

A more detailed and recent discussion is here...

I'd first be looking for explanations of old and new site ranking differences in terms of RankBrain SERP result mods, site structures, internal link/link text and the page content of each.

We know nothing of your search market nor target search terms. You should be aware that RankBrain places a search intent precursor function in front of G's ranking algo. "Location" is a frequently used RankBrain precursor. Might this be contributing to reductions in your generic search referrals?

I do not believe that "trust" is a factor when G selects to display "snippets" from one site over another. Also, site size and age are definitely NOT G ranking signals.

There seems to be frequent, major G algo changes, checking and revision going on at present, all related to the new G mobile index. G folk are saying there are huge differences in desktop and mobile pages with content and use of ranking signals. The SEO forums are reporting many wobbly SERP results at present.

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees
    • Prof.stan agrees
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Nov 7th, 2017 at 04:05 AM.
  17. No Profile Picture

Yeah, to many folks tout DA / PA to much and too often. They have no idea, of how to build links, which is one of the primary factors calculating the DA / PA metrics.

These folks would benefit from reading Google's Quality Guidelines. Just click the blue link, it will download the PDF to your computer straight from Google !

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make the horse drink.
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial

If you do redirects, use 301's not 302's. But I would find out what is wrong with the first site tho....
    301 and 302 was good 2 years ago - now they are mostly useless. Make links to your site instead of redirects - it works better.

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial : Did you read the whole thread ?
    • Prof.stan : no it still works
  21. No Profile Picture

I suspect you didn't read the whole thread. If you had, then you would know the OP did some link building and is in the process of disavowing them.

People still to this day, buy domain names and redirect the domains to their money site. Why, because of the almighty juice. To take advantage of the links on the net pointing to the domain.

Please provide proof that 301 and 302 redirects are useless....

( You're not one of those horses that won't drink are you ?)

edited to add...
    302 's I don't really use them, because if I create a redirect, it is normally a permanent change. I generally don't go back and remove them. Also the 301's pass the almighty juice immediately.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 8th, 2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: addendum
  23. No Profile Picture

Yep, I was too strict when I called redirect useless. I have purchased about 40 domains with many external links 2 years ago to push my site in google. I have made 301 redirects from all of them and it works perfect. Now I see it does not work like this, similar projects with similar tactics does not works but links from that sites works better. I think redirects from good sites provides less "weight" then links. It is just my experience.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : in this context you are right
  25. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Ohoo, in this context you right yes 301 works but we need to minimise 301 redirect chains and if you have control on any backlinks then you must be changed and linked to the new site where possible and goto the final page.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey Troops,
    Please consider...

If G. was any good at assessing a web page's "trust"...

• We would not have the big debate about "fake news"
    • G. would not be fronting the US senate's enquiry into Russian involvement in their elections
    • Hillary could be celebrating her first year as USA President.

This web "trust" issue is of huge importance in my mind as it seems much of the web is a disaster that is impacting on the way the world thinks & acts.

Do SEOs need to consider their unique knowledge situations as to if, how, when they should offer services that impact on world opinions?
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

1. I went through over 5,000 backlinks found by SEMRush and disavowed all from questionable websites and those that were added by link building. There is no positive impact on rankings so far. Next step will probably go to Majestic and go through backlinks there too.

2. The content of the Bigger site is better quality than Smaller. It was written over the last 2+ years by one of the top experts in the industry.

3. On page stats such Average Session Duration, Number of Pages Visited, Bounce Rate, Number of returned Visitors are all MUCH better at the Bigger site.

I did not try 301 yet. Worried about loosing Google trust on smaller site too.

I'm out of ideas.

If any expert is willing to help please contact me and I will provide website names and any additional info. If your suggestion helps I'm willing to compensate you, donate to your charity, do community work or make sacrifices to deity of your choosing.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: