1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Traffic drop from latest Google updates

Hi

I run a UK based locksmith business with a well ranking website. On the 1st August and 27th September my site lost around 70% of its Google traffic, with a noticeable drop in keyword rankings.

My research leads me to believe these dates coincide with two Google updates and websites with low E-A-T will have been negatively effected. My site is not medical based, nor a YMYL site, so not sure what caused it to be hit?

My understanding is that this is not a penalty, and nothing needs to be done to improve ranking, it's just that other sites have been rewarded and are now ranking higher, thus lowering my rankings.

Have any of you guys worked on clients sites that lost traffic from these updates, and have you been able to recover them?

Any advice on what steps I should be taking to regain rankings would be well received.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by autolock; Oct 23rd, 2018 at 11:50 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

70% drop sounds like a lot.
    Can it be just because of an algorithm update?
    How did u confirm that it's not a Google penalty?
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I presume the site is the one in your profile? ***autolocksmith.co.uk
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Edited to add...

I just want to clarify that if we are talking about your particular site, not another site

I suggest you quit building forum links.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Oct 24th, 2018 at 12:05 PM.
  9. Contributing User

Hey, yes that's the site. Was trying to remove the url from my profile actually but doesn't look possible.

Any insight?
    Last edited by autolock; Oct 24th, 2018 at 03:36 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture

One, stop your forum link building and undo the bad ones.

Two, fix the http / https issue.

Three, Fix your busted schema. Do your research, you will find out Google really doesn't tolerate busted schema. Remove the following from your website until you understand how to implement it correctly and that includes understanding which pages it should be on!

If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  13. Contributing User

Thanks for the feedback.

I am not building forum links, but I'm a bit confused as this has been mentioned twice now....have you identified some forum links I'm unaware of? There shouldn't be any on these posts, as I have turned them off.

What http:/https issue ? Please can you explain what issue you refer to so I can fix this?

Great point about the schema, this could definitely be a factor relating to trust...I'll get right onto that one.

Many thanks
  15. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by autolock
    Thanks for the feedback.

I am not building forum links, but I'm a bit confused as this has been mentioned twice now....have you identified some forum links I'm unaware of? There shouldn't be any on these posts, as I have turned them off.

What http:/https issue ? Please can you explain what issue you refer to so I can fix this?

Great point about the schema, this could definitely be a factor relating to trust...I'll get right onto that one.

Many thanks
    Redirect your site for http:/www. ***autolocksmith.co.uk/ to the https version.

Comments on this post

• autolock agrees
  17. No Profile Picture

Yes sir that is correct, you have not as far as this forum is concerned. Is this the only forum you have participated on, of course not.
    But my mistake, I sometimes use the term forum with free business directories, that allow multiple entries. Especially the ones that provide "DoFollow" links.

Here is what I am talking about, this is just from a cursory look at your site... look at all the images, they tell a story

Here is one of them...

You it appears have been quite busy in the backlink building department... I suggest you slow down...

These next pictures explain a lot, if you look at them closely.

Comments on this post

• autolock agrees
  19. Contributing User

Hey thanks for the help.

These links were built years ago. The site was hit by the very first Penguin update, I disavowed a huge amount of links and removed lots too. I recovered from the Penguin bashing a couple of years ago and traffic gradually grew back to match where it was before the Penguin took a bite.

Traffic has been smashed on August 1st and again omg September 27th. From what I have read these are Google update dates, which have given rise to sites with higher authority. I'm seeing lost of non local business type sites replacing the top ranking spots for my key search terms. The first page is now filled with the likes of Yell.com, whocanfixmycar, go compare etc. Lots of portals, rather than actual local business's that can do the job.

I've not heard these recent updates on August 1st and September 27th are related to links.....Do you think its likely my websites very old link profile could be related to the drop?

By the way what site are using there that shows the percentage of links with link penalty risk? Does it actually show all thee links in question?

Also, am i understanding that graph correct....is that suggesting number of links has risen from below 1000 to over 2500 in October this year? That can't be right, I haven't built any links!!

Cheers
  21. No Profile Picture

That was produced using Spyglass. A few of the members here use it.

It is only reporting when it found the links. It keeps a first found on date and a last found date. If the link hasn't been discovered till now then they could show the same or near recent dates and cause what appears to be a increase in activity.

You know your link profile and what you're done to improve it, my information doesn't include that information and would influence the numbers. So con grats on cleaning it up. You can just ignore that part of my suggestions in this case.

Comments on this post

• autolock agrees : Cheers
  23. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

no, because some of the sites outranked does not mean you can lose 70% of your traffic.
    The same thing happened to me once. I quickly Disavowed all my backlinks and BOOM, I recovered all my traffic in just 3 months.
    I think you should try it.
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by autolock
    The first page is now filled with the likes of Yell.com, whocanfixmycar, go compare etc. Lots of portals, rather than actual local business's that can do the job.
    You're looking at this upside down. Google is attempting to improve user experience and users will get a better experience with directories. I can organise results by who is open now, who will do an onsite visit, etc, etc.

I see from your website that you are trying to be one of these but Google can't see it and /or Google thinks there are better portals out there.

On the former I clicked the link 'Browse Locations' and then choose 'England' .... I got 18 results. If that is right I'm sorry to say Google might certainly preference more comprehensive directories over yours.

But your site is also woeful in helping Google rank you for niche searches. You should have a page that is optimised for Auto Locksmith London and Auto Locksmith N1 and Auto Locksmith Islington and on and on and on.

For the actual companies the page titles do not reflect accurately the page content, schema is almost non existent, you are not even taking advantage of your ALT tags. The question is not so much why you have lost your rankings as it is why did you have them before?

I think you could easily find a way back and get your traffic if you sorted your site out. Bundles of opportunity if you would help Google understand your content!