1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

tracking url in google causing problem?

About four days ago my pr and serps took a dive.

PR went from 5, which it had been for years, to 4.

Serp for my main keyword went from 8 to 34.

Researching this, I find that my main url, http://www.mysite.com, no longer shows up in the serps, but a tracking url I have used in the past: http://www.mysite.com?ref=11 shows up now in the lower position.

Using an seo tool (with my api), my pr on the tracking url is reported as 3, though if I go to my site using the tracking url, and look up the pr in the toolbar, it shows 4.

So my *guess* is that my tracking url is interfering with my pr and serps.

I've gone to the sites I use the tracking url on and changed it to the regular url. With no links with the tracking url, will google drop it and restore my orginal url? Or do I need to do something else to get the tracking url out of google?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

wierd.

Even when I do: allinanchor:kw I get the tracking url in the results, though the tracking url is only on one site, and my other 600 some backlinks have the standard (http://www.site.com) url. What does this mean?
  5. modulator

I'd give it some time, I've had some strange things happen like this before. Are you 301 redirecting to the main site right after you record your referrer information?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by decipher
    I'd give it some time, I've had some strange things happen like this before. Are you 301 redirecting to the main site right after you record your referrer information?
    No redirect, I just have a php script record the value as the main page loads.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

About four days ago my pr and serps took a dive.
    There was a backlink update around that time. Give Google alittle time to figure out what is going on with the ids. It takes about 2 weeks.
    -PK
  11. modulator

After you record the hit and before you send out the header information, you could try using a 301 redirect to the main page, looks better for the visitor too. This is only if you are using PHP though.

Code:
    $url = "http://www.yourdomainname.com";

header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
    header("Location: ".$url);
    header("Connection: close");
    This may speed up the process if google hits that link before it corrects the error.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you I'll give it a try!
  15. America fights back

Our main site went from PR5 to PR4 at the last PR update, but our serps have still been climbing and more visitors and pageviews. We are now finally showing more backlinks also only 2 less backlinks than our other site which is PR5 still

These are non-competing sites with different products.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wish I could say the same...

My PR went down just last week (not during the pr update). Serps have been going down daily, from a ranking of 8 early last week, to 54 today. Been going down anywhere from 3 to 15 positions a day.

I was hoping the redirect would eliminate the tracking url that suddenly appeared in the serps. And it did, overnight, but my serps are still falling.

My BLs increased during the last update, and I get more every day, I know my competitors are not racing ahead of me with BLs. However, my allinanchor has gone down too, from 8 to (as of today) 21.

Seems to have something to do with my backlinks. Pages on my site with just on-page optimization have been stable. Just pages that I have been building backinks for are going down. I started building backinks for these pages about four months ago, and they have been going up... until last week when the downturn happened. Now I seem to be in free fall.

This is not sandbox, the site is eight years old (though a large percentage of the links are new in the last four months).
    Last edited by christophera; Nov 3rd, 2004 at 07:59 PM.