1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Total drop in Google rankings!

Hi

My website is www.metalite-aviation.com and for many months we have ranked in the top 5 positions for keywords such as:

• tactical landing lights
    • airfield lighting systems
    • portable landing zones
    • portable landing lights
    I can see that we still have a PR of 4 and that Google has indexed approximately 70 pages on the site (see http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sit...sa=X&oi=lrtip7 ).

However, our current rankings have completely dropped out of sight and I am at a loss to explain this!

I wonder if:

1. a different site that's hosted on the same web server has been blacklisted by Google, and we are suffering as a consequence - seems like a very remote possibility to me
    2. Google is "dancing", and so the search results I'm seeing at the moment are spurious and will sort themselves out in the long term
    3. the changes we made to our JavaScript menu in mid-December have upset Google somehow - don't know how or why as we've used the exact same JS menu on 5 or 6 other sites, which all rank well for their respective keywords. Although we updated the JavaScript, no page content or meta tag information was altered, so there was no real change to indexable content.
    Can anyone offer some guidance in terms of how I can prove/disprove these three possible causes?

Does anyone have alternative reasons that explain our complete drop in ranking?

Many thanks
    Jeremy
    Last edited by Jasontnyc; Jan 21st, 2005 at 04:46 AM. Reason: live link removed
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

*alternative reasons that explain our complete drop in ranking?*

Is it just the English pages that are affected?
    Last edited by glengara; Jan 21st, 2005 at 05:36 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Checking French listings...

Is it just the English pages that are affected?
    Good question. From the results at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search and at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search, I can see that the site is on the first page each time.

However, the level of competition is much lower for the French and Spanish keywords, so I'm not sure how conclusive this is.

One other thought springs to mind as a possible cause, although it seems as unlikely as the others:

1. a different site that's hosted on the same web server has been blacklisted by Google, and we are suffering as a consequence - seems like a very remote possibility to me
    2. Google is "dancing", and so the search results I'm seeing at the moment are spurious and will sort themselves out in the long term
    3. the changes we made to our JavaScript menu in mid-December have upset Google somehow - don't know how or why as we've used the exact same JS menu on 5 or 6 other sites, which all rank well for their respective keywords. Although we updated the JavaScript, no page content or meta tag information was altered, so there was no real change to indexable content.
    4. we "changed" the HTML code in that each file was previously compressed (all unecessary spaces, tabs and carriage returns were removed) and all the code was on a single line. This was a nightmare for maintenance so I reformated the code in Dreamweaver so it had a more conventional layout.
    Thanks
    Jeremy
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

It could well be a duplicate content problem with portableairfieldlighting.com