Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Tool for number of keyword searches?

Hi All,

Well I've been doing a lot of reading on this forums and it's a great resource for all levels of SEO.

I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me how reliable the digital point keyword suggestion tool is in terms of number of searches it returns. So for example if someone types in "dinosaurs" and the search results are 9,517 for wordtracker and 2531 for overture. Is that a good representation of how many people are searching for these terms?

The reason I want to know is the company I work for is still employing an SEO to work on our main site and to be honest I think he's just taking our money and not doing an adequate amount of work for it. He's "optimising" our site for keywords we have no hope of getting #1 on because its in the finance industry and we just don't have the capital to get to #1. He's also optimising us for words that return 0 searches with that tool and I need to know whether he's taking us for a ride.

He sends us a report every month showing that we're ranked between #1 and #50 for about 10-20 search terms but they don't seem to be very competitive and I've already beaten him on some of the terms and the new site has only been online for a month.

So if someone could let me know how accurate that tool is and whether there's anything else I should be using. I'm already monitoring with the keyword tracking tool so I hope that my new site is going to start kicking some serious booty soon.

Cheers guys!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I can tell you this, we have about 12 #1 ranked relavent phrases on Google that according to wordtracker get more than 50 searches a day accross all SEs. If you take into account G's percent of the market (according to WordTracker), I estimate that we get anywhere a 15% to 50% visit ratio.

IMO WordTracker is accurate within -50% to +200%.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That's true. There are many other search engines, i.e. Yahoo, Google, and MSN. So the numbers you see are only a sample.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Wombar
    Hi All,

I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me how reliable the digital point keyword suggestion tool is in terms of number of searches it returns. So for example if someone types in "dinosaurs" and the search results are 9,517 for wordtracker and 2531 for overture. Is that a good representation of how many people are searching for these terms?
    The part of the formula I use when deciding what key phrases to go after is to calculate that Overture is going to represent both Yahoo and MSN searches. Since Google and AOL have as many searches as the others combined I just double the Overture numbers and that's what I use to calculate total searches from the big three. It might not be 100% accurate but it does give you a good idea of the potential for any particular page.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So the digital points tool is accurate enough that if it returns 2-3 searches or even 0 then we can be fairly sure that those terms just aren't searched for?

At the moment we seem be paying this guy to optimise us for obscure search terms that he knows he can get #1 in and say to us "We've optimised you to be #1 in 10 keywords" but these terms get so few searches a month its just not relevant.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Try this one too,
    http://ecommerce.insightin.com/tools...calculator.php

as we can not get accurate figure, better to try several.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks a lot for your help guys, it's much appreciated.

As long as I average out the results of say 3-4 keyword tools, I would have thought that would be a good estimate of how many times those terms are being searched for.

I just don't think that we're getting value for money from this guy, all he seems to be doing at the moment is swapping links with PR0 completely unrelated sites. I know that we need links and all but for the money we pay him I think we'd be better off ploughing that into buying links or promotion or something.

I'm hoping that my site is going to start to really perform once we're completely indexed by google but we've only been online for a month so I expect that it's going to be at least another 2-3 months before anything really starts to click, by then I'm hoping that our backlinks will start to add on as well.

Anyway, here's hoping that I get to where I want to be.
  15. Contributing User

Try this one too,
    http://ecommerce.insightin.com/tool..._calculator.php

as we can not get accurate figure, better to try several.
    This tool is not working at all. When i put the keyword and hit the go button it doesnot respond at all.
  17. No Profile Picture

Rather than clicking on the GO button just hit the enter key. It works
  19. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Finding Niches with Niche Bot

Hi when I check our keyword relevance I use wordtracker and overture but also have found this great little tool at nichebot.com

Basicaly it does sound like your SEO guy is taking you for a bit of a ride. There is no point optimising for general or generic terms, a proper SEO should use tools to find a niche for you. It may have less searches performed but will be much more relevant and targetted, thus providing much better conversion rate.
    For example why optimise for financial services when what you do best is student and graduate loans - just purely for example. After all how many customers can you handle! There is no point recieving 1000's of visitors to your site or exposer in search engines when it is just too general and too irrelevant.
    Another example - the company I work for are in the Machine Tools industry, but if we targetted machine tools we would get loads of people asking for a standard lathe. This is why we target high precision machine tools - check it out - we are #1 in google.com - Cranfield Precision.
  21. Contributing User

our kw tool gets overture and wordtracker info

beta tho - www.123promotion.co.uk/ppc/beta.php

It will be live shortly
    Last edited by 123promotion; Aug 16th, 2004 at 11:41 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture

both overture and wordtracker are showing absolutely no searches for "high precision machine tools" - why would you optimize for a term with zero traffic?
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Wombar
    all he seems to be doing at the moment is swapping links with PR0 completely unrelated sites.
    Swapping links with unrelated sites is not a good idea. The worst will be to get links from unrelated sites, with no PageRank and with untargetted anchor text. There are quality tool on the market that will help to find link from related site with high PageRank. You can use online tool from SEO chat (http://www.seochat.com/seo-tools/) or software http://www.prweaver.com/advanced-search.htm
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you're #1 for such an obscure term then look at your logs and you'll know whether it's obscure or not.

Overture etc. can only point into the direction of a ballpark figure and they fail in niches and of course new terms.
  29. Contributing User

overture is fairly consistent, except for the fact that is 1 month behind. Say your searchin in august on overture for keyword potatoes....that is not how often the term is searched, im sure it fluxuates quite a bit, so they use the # of times it was searched in the previous month(s). It says so right in the search term suggestion tool box. Anyways....My 2 cents..
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: