1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Too many internal links in home page?

Hi,

I'm launching a site shortly that has many 2nd tier city pages. The footer of the home page is going to have probably over 200 links to these 2nd tier pages in the footer. My main goal is to get the 2nd tier pages ranked for their city related keyword. Long term I'd like to get the home page ranked for a very competitive, 2 word - keyword.

Will having so many internal links on my home page to 2nd tier pages kill the chances of the home page every getting ranked for a very competitive keyword?

The footer will contain links that are similar to those seen in the footer of this site: www.hotel planner.com/ (no space).

However my footer links are in plain site, and not sneaky/hidden like those on the site above.

Thanks!
    Mike
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Lots of sites have lots of links on their homepage.... look at the big news sites if you want to see a ton of links on a page.

They can do that because they have a ton of inbound links from other sites. If your site does not have many powerful links from other websites then very little power will flow down into your secondary pages and they might have trouble getting indexed or ranked.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by EGOL
    Lots of sites have lots of links on their homepage.... look at the big news sites if you want to see a ton of links on a page.

They can do that because they have a ton of inbound links from other sites. If your site does not have many powerful links from other websites then very little power will flow down into your secondary pages and they might have trouble getting indexed or ranked.
    what if I point many of my backlinks to the 2nd tier pages rather then the home page? Or would that be doing it backwards? Meaning should I shoot most backlinks to homepage, and let the juice trickle down?
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Get links into the pages that you want to rank. So if you are focused on the homepage rankings get links into it. .... but links anywhere into your site will help every page.
  9. No Profile Picture
    MJE

Can too many links include pop out menus??

I have an issue with a site with thousands of pages not being indexed by Google - every page has over 300 internal links on it (basically a pop out menu that includes links to ALL product catagories across the website).

The fact that it is not getting indexed is causing me to look into all avenue's??