1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Too many backlinks?

Is this possible?

It seems our site has about 6,000+ backlinks. I don't know how great the quality of these sites linking to us are and I'm afraid they might be hurting us.

Is it possible to fix this (easily)? Should I be concerned? I was going to attempt building link relations with some higher ranking and more relevent sites but would that even matter if we have a lot of badly ranked backlinks?

Thanks for the info!
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Are they "regular" backlinks or are they products of some well-known - but automated - link-building scheme?
    ... Hey you! FREE SEO report card ... I really my hosting company ...
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by dzine
    Are they "regular" backlinks or are they products of some well-known - but automated - link-building scheme?
    I'm not sure actually. I'm sure there are both but as far as percentage of them being part of a "scheme", I dont know.

When i do the link: function through google to get some backlinks, I find it strange that some of the pages don't have our URL listed anywhere on the site google listed.

Am I looking at this function properly?
    Last edited by marky_mark; Mar 9th, 2007 at 09:30 AM.
  7. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You shouldn't be looking at Google's link: function at all. Unless maybe the variant they provide on the Webmaster Console (see other threads about that).

But the fact that your link doesn't appear on the pages at all may indicate that:
    1) Their page is very dynamic and short-lived. Sorta like a "recent additions" page. You're bound to drop off that list in no time
    2) They were trying "referral spam" on you. But if your logs and stats aren't spidered then that's not really a big deal. Only annoying.

Either way it's unlikely that the backlinks - whether they're real or not - will hurt you. Chances are that they'll help you. If only slightly.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks guys.

What is the problem with the link: command in google?

Is there such a tool that can check your backlinks and list the PR's of these sites?

I want to get a better idea of the kind of sites linking to us.
    Last edited by marky_mark; Mar 9th, 2007 at 09:45 AM.
  11. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by marky_mark
    Is this possible?

It seems our site has about 6,000+ backlinks. I don't know how great the quality of these sites linking to us are and I'm afraid they might be hurting us.

Is it possible to fix this (easily)? Should I be concerned? I was going to attempt building link relations with some higher ranking and more relevent sites but would that even matter if we have a lot of badly ranked backlinks?

Thanks for the info!
    Won't hurt you unless of course your linking to them and one of them happens to be a bad neighborhood(penalized site)

If they are just linking to you it can't hurt you, otherwise I would be able to ban all my competitors very easily.(not that I would )
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  13. Nice Guy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Thanks guys.

What is the problem with the link: command in google?

Is there such a tool that can check your backlinks and list the PR's of these sites?

I want to get a better idea of the kind of sites linking to us.
    google does not update the backlinks very often, thats why some of the links that appear when you do the Link: search do not contain your url anymore.
    Better sign up for the google webmaster central, there you will get more updated information.

Comments on this post

• dzine agrees : Yes and to add to that: don't forget that Google's link: search only shows a small subset of your backlinks. Typically 5% or thereabouts :)
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you do not reciprocate them you do no have to worry otherwise it will be very easy for anyone to get rid of your competitors by building links to your competitor site.

Is this possible?

Thanks for the info!
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by xicecube7
    BAD NEIGHBOURHOOD BAD NEIGHBOURHOOD! i heard that a lot but be realistic how would you know if someone want to set up assuming your competitors dont like it and they bring links to your site and all those links come from BAD NEIGHBOURSHOOD and you will be DOOM then?

how would google solve this matter or how they look at this matter?
    Sabotaging a website but having a "bad neighbourhood" site post a link to it? That's dirty but I could see it happening and it makes me worry!

How would this be combated?
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by xicecube7
    BAD NEIGHBOURHOOD BAD NEIGHBOURHOOD! i heard that a lot but be realistic how would you know if someone want to set up assuming your competitors dont like it and they bring links to your site and all those links come from BAD NEIGHBOURSHOOD and you will be DOOM then?
    how would google solve this matter or how they look at this matter?
    For most part links to your site from "Bad Neighborhoods" should not have a negative impact on you site. Google keeps saying that and yet there are those who believe it might hurt you.
    The key is for you not to link to "Bad Neighborhoods". That will defiantly hurt you.

raz
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Is this possible?
    Thanks for the info!
    What do you mean by 6,000 BLs?
    Are they sitewide links from 3 or 4 sites?
    When checking your BLs in Yahoo you should exclude sites that have sitewide links and then check the count.
    Building quality linking relations with quality sites will always help.
    The only thing that you need to worry about in the existing BLs is if you are also linking to some bad ones.
    Someone mentioned above if you have automated link exchange schemas and you said you didn't know! Well, find out and get rid of it.

raz