#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    To blog or not to blog


    Hello,

    I've often read that having a blog along with your regular website is good for SEO. I'm wondering if it is important that it is an actual blog which helps or just that having a regularly updated page is important.

    As it is, I have a regular website and I frequently add new pages and articles. I don't use a blog. Am i missing out? Do blogs (e.g. Wordpress) have some magical code which Google loves? In a nutshell, should I add a blog to my site to get some more google juice or am I just fine having a regularly updated website?

    Thanks in advance!
  2. #2
  3. Always ready to learn..
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Delhi, India
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    15
    Originally Posted by jezza
    Hello,

    I've often read that having a blog along with your regular website is good for SEO. I'm wondering if it is important that it is an actual blog which helps or just that having a regularly updated page is important.

    As it is, I have a regular website and I frequently add new pages and articles. I don't use a blog. Am i missing out? Do blogs (e.g. Wordpress) have some magical code which Google loves? In a nutshell, should I add a blog to my site to get some more google juice or am I just fine having a regularly updated website?

    Thanks in advance!
    The most important thing is that your site is regularly updated. No need to add new blog. Just keep it up and do updation as you do.

    Comments on this post

    • ChillDot agrees
  4. #3
  5. A Developers Perspective
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    219
    Rep Power
    269
    Originally Posted by dreamingrahul
    The most important thing is that your site is regularly updated. No need to add new blog. Just keep it up and do updation as you do.
    Yup I think it depends on what business you are in to determine whether or not it would be useful to have a blog or not.

    For example a plumber wouldn't have much to put in a blog, maybe the odd news story here and there but generally it wouldnt attract much attention.

    If your blog will not pose as useful to many people then it may be a waste of time and resources that could be more effectively spent elsewhere

    Comments on this post

    • EGOL agrees : If i was a plumber in Cleveland, I would blog about "fixing clogged toilets in cleveland" -- since other plumbers in Cleveland are blogging about that I would get all of the search. If it pulled 2 jobs per year that would be good payback for a post.
    If you are new to SEO please read these, On-Page Optimisation and Meta data before asking questions.

    Or if you would just like to view my website: http://www.cwhittaker.com, State SEOCHAT for 10% off custom websites
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by ChillDot

    For example a plumber wouldn't have much to put in a blog, maybe the odd news story here and there but generally it wouldnt attract much attention.
    I think a plumber could possibly put quite a bit in his blog. How to's, case studies, that kind of thing!

    Comments on this post

    • SEOhostingcouk agrees
    • ChillDot agrees
  8. #5
  9. A Developers Perspective
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    219
    Rep Power
    269
    Originally Posted by TedWestie
    I think a plumber could possibly put quite a bit in his blog. How to's, case studies, that kind of thing!
    hmm good point, ^^ id like to point out im not a plumber, that was just the first thing that came to mind.

    Either way, other point still stands about relevance of a blog depending upon the business you're in
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    456
    Rep Power
    509
    I'm very interested in the OP's question.

    I don't think his question is whether you can come up with material to blog about. Let's assume you have enough fresh material.

    I think his question is, given that you periodically create new material, is there any SEO benefit to placing it on a blog vs placing it within your web site?

    Does Google see blog material as more valuable than web page material? Or is a blog's value just in the subscription aspect?

    Ed
  12. #7
  13. A Developers Perspective
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    219
    Rep Power
    269
    Originally Posted by eddyf
    I'm very interested in the OP's question.

    I don't think his question is whether you can come up with material to blog about. Let's assume you have enough fresh material.

    I think his question is, given that you periodically create new material, is there any SEO benefit to placing it on a blog vs placing it within your web site?

    Does Google see blog material as more valuable than web page material? Or is a blog's value just in the subscription aspect?

    Ed
    I think the two go hand in hand, if you can come up with consistent fresh material then you need a way to periodically announce this information.

    A blog is just a method of doing that and is pretty organised. As is well publicised google likes new content, hence imo this is why a blog is a good thing.

    As you mentioned it also gives the user an option to subscribe and therefore allows the company to reach out to more people every time you blog and the more subscribers then the more likely you are to gain natural links back to those blog posts because more people will see it.

    I know i wouldnt keep checking back to a website all the time incase they had added a new article, but if i get a tool that tells me when they post a new article i would proabably go and read it.

    That would be the only SEO benefit of having a blog over just inserting web pages that i could see.
    Last edited by ChillDot; Nov 7th, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
  14. #8
  15. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, Uk
    Posts
    2,675
    Rep Power
    1593
    Watch this recent video from Matt Cutts

    The title is - Is freshness an important signal for all sites?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4hH4ZQ_19k
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  16. #9
  17. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,587
    Rep Power
    1943
    Originally Posted by ChillDot
    Yup I think it depends on what business you are in to determine whether or not it would be useful to have a blog or not.

    For example a plumber wouldn't have much to put in a blog, maybe the odd news story here and there but generally it wouldnt attract much attention.

    If your blog will not pose as useful to many people then it may be a waste of time and resources that could be more effectively spent elsewhere
    Disagree 100%. I used to think this, but I was wrong.

    A blog can and will help your SEO - hands down, I will argue this until my death. I cannot tell you how many clients sites just blow up from long tail traffic because of a blog.

    A plumber is perfect. I have a plumber site now I'm working on and his long tail is KILLING IT from his blog. "Winter tips on your pipes" would be a great topic

    Comments on this post

    • ChillDot agrees : Thanks for the pointers guys :)
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  18. #10
  19. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, Uk
    Posts
    2,675
    Rep Power
    1593
    Originally Posted by joshz
    Disagree 100%. I used to think this, but I was wrong.

    A blog can and will help your SEO - hands down, I will argue this until my death. I cannot tell you how many clients sites just blow up from long tail traffic because of a blog.

    A plumber is perfect. I have a plumber site now I'm working on and his long tail is KILLING IT from his blog. "Winter tips on your pipes" would be a great topic
    I agree, but I'm not sure you need a "blog" per se

    It's just good to have have great content on your site, however format you want to put it on there, be it a blog, or creating FAQ pages with questions relating to your industry, or how to's.

    Blogs don't have exclusivity for creating additional content, it's just one way of going about it.

    Comments on this post

    • ChillDot agrees
    Last edited by DarrenHaye; Nov 7th, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
  20. #11
  21. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,587
    Rep Power
    1943
    Originally Posted by DarrenHaye
    I agree, but I'm not sure you need a "blog" per se

    It's just good to have have great content on your site, however format you want to put it on there, be it a blog, or creating FAQ pages with questions relating to your industry, or how to's.

    Blogs don't have exclusivity for creating additional content, it's just one way of going about it.
    \

    As true as this is, blogs, eg WP just seem to function so much better in SE's than having, say, an article 'archive' or something. Not to mention the URL structure, tags and categories really help as well. I used to be anti-blog as a stream of SEO, but I've had to bite my words with proven rankings (for LONG tail keywords).

    Edit: Check this out: http://searchengineland.com/need-a-s...logging-138067

    Comments on this post

    • dzine agrees : Yup - unless yours is an extremely well-coded and automated website - good blog software can add lotsa value. Think 'ping' and 'internal linking'
    Last edited by joshz; Nov 7th, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Reply


    Originally Posted by jezza
    Hello,

    I've often read that having a blog along with your regular website is good for SEO. I'm wondering if it is important that it is an actual blog which helps or just that having a regularly updated page is important.

    As it is, I have a regular website and I frequently add new pages and articles. I don't use a blog. Am i missing out? Do blogs (e.g. Wordpress) have some magical code which Google loves? In a nutshell, should I add a blog to my site to get some more google juice or am I just fine having a regularly updated website?

    Thanks in advance!
    DON'T KNOW ABOUT MAGIC CODE BUT HAVING A BLOG ALONG WITH A REGULAR WEB PAGE DEFINATELY HELPS IN PR PROMOTION.
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by jezza
    Hello,

    I've often read that having a blog along with your regular website is good for SEO. I'm wondering if it is important that it is an actual blog which helps or just that having a regularly updated page is important.

    As it is, I have a regular website and I frequently add new pages and articles. I don't use a blog. Am i missing out? Do blogs (e.g. Wordpress) have some magical code which Google loves? In a nutshell, should I add a blog to my site to get some more google juice or am I just fine having a regularly updated website?

    Thanks in advance!
    Well! Its perfectly ok! and I would say you are on a right way ahead. But still if you have some doubt then I would suggest you that yes! a blog will give you good exposure to the people you want to reach to. It wont backfire rather it will be of added advantage only.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: Jul 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM
  2. My Blog and Google
    By 300m in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul 25th, 2006, 01:23 PM
  3. BLOG and Ping - Shady Techniques
    By GeoffreyF67 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Mar 21st, 2005, 05:42 PM
  4. desperate plea for advice ( any blog experts/seogurus too)
    By shiner25 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:09 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo