1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Title tags query - "decorating services in <town name>" or "decorator in <town name>"

Hi All

I have recently finished developing a website for a family-run property maintenance business.

The site has been online for approx 3 weeks now. I have listed the site and business details in a number of local directories and the most popular uk main directories, like 192, yell.com etc. I am using Bing and Google Webmaster tools to monitor the site etc. The site is W3C compliant etc..

Bing really likes the site, and it is ranking no as 2 or 3 on some of my most important keywords, but Google is taking a lot longer to rank the site (it's on page 2 atm for my main search words). Therefore, unfortuantley, the page is performing better in Bing than Google, even though I have set up Google+ pages and Google Maps/business location pages, but neither are really starting to show (especially Google Business listing, as it is still showing as pending!). I have made a few changes, added in a few bits to the site since it went live etc, burt Google is still taking it's time.

Firstly, is it normal for Google to take a bit longer to reindex the site than Bing?

Secondly, one query I have is with reference to my title tags. When I developed the site, i titled each page relevent to the service provided and the area covered, for example, I called the painting and decorating page the following:

"painting & decorating services in <town name>"

However, I was thinking the other day that maybe the title tag should contain the exact keyword that someone would search for, rather than the service.

Therefore, would it be better to call my pages the following:

"painter & decorator in <town name>"
    "electrican in <town name>"
    "plumber in <town name>"

rather than:

"painting & decorating in <town name>"
    "electrical services in <town name>"
    "plumbing in <town name>"

Kind regards,
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

You should be targeting both terms as people may actually be searching on both. That doesn't mean you have to create a whole new page, though that might be a way to go:
    ex. Decorating services in nowhereville (page describes services availible) points to -> Decorators in nowhereville (page details specific decorators and their projects)

You can also just go with one for the title and make sure both are mentioned on page at least once.

Then the subject of pages linking to you and the anchor text can help smooth out the one that is not your page name and H1

I can imagine people typing in:
    electrician in x
    electrical contractor in x
    electrical services in x
    electrical companies in x
    and more.
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Don't expect the moon in 3 weeks, it's going to take a good 6 months of work to get with-in eye view of Google, Bing might be showing you personalized results, make sure your seeing clean results. Give it some time before you start changing things. You need to know where your sitting before trying to change seats.