Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Title tag importance

I am learning as I go, experimenting with different concepts I read on this forum. A couple of weeks ago I read a post by Fathom which said your main keywords should be in the first couple of words in your title, H1 and so on (words to that effect). Well I changed a title tag which had the main keywords in it. The title was "Navy Job and Benefits Information" and ranked number 22 for Navy Benefits and 14 for "Navy benefits" (with quotes). I changed the title to "Navy Benefits and Job Information" and moved up to number 13 and 5 respectively. Thank you Fathom and SEOChat for the opportunity to learn something new just about everyday

Comments on this post

• pro_seo agrees : Thanks for sharing your experience with us :)
    Keyword Meta Questions Answered
    HTAccess Redirects

Adversity is a spice when added to life makes the dish more interesting.

A magic marker is a SEO's "Easy Button".
  3. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by NavyCS
    I am learning as I go, experimenting with different concepts I read on this forum. A couple of weeks ago I read a post by Fathom which said your main keywords should be in the first couple of words in your title, H1 and so on (words to that effect). Well I changed a title tag which had the main keywords in it. The title was "Navy Job and Benefits Information" and ranked number 22 for Navy Benefits and 14 for "Navy benefits" (with quotes). I changed the title to "Navy Benefits and Job Information" and moved up to number 13 and 5 respectively. Thank you Fathom and SEOChat for the opportunity to learn something new just about everyday
    Great for the increase. But in the words of Brandel (parafrazing) i did a and then b happened it does not mean a caused b.

Comments on this post

• pro_seo agrees
    Live the moment
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Congratulations, but there might be many other factors which may have caused your rank to move up. The title is just one of them.

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    Great for the increase. But in the words of Brandel (parafrazing) i did a and then b happened it does not mean a caused b.
    I know there are things the other sites could have done to drop but this is the only thing I have done in quite some time to that page. All my other search terms I have been tracking have remained steady over the last month or two. Seems to me this is about the only thing that could have created such a jump. If I saw the rest of my terms jump around then I would think it was a result of the update going on. I do think a had a good degree of effect on b.
  9. Roll the dice.. and live

I know there are things the other sites could have done to drop but this is the only thing I have done in quite some time to that page. All my other search terms I have been tracking have remained steady over the last month or two. Seems to me this is about the only thing that could have created such a jump. If I saw the rest of my terms jump around then I would think it was a result of the update going on. I do think a had a good degree of effect on b.
    ney navy i am not disagreeing with you. But tthat is quite a big conclusion to jump to. Foe example i got about 10 to 15 edu links in novemmber/december the last coupe of weeks i have shot up for many key terms. My assumption is google is now counting those links. I have seen 3 to 6 months estimated to give backlinks weight/full weight i just offer this to say you may now be seeing the results of someyhing that was done months ago... Anyway good for you. I think following fathoms advice is probably a good idea more often than not. So maybee you will see a further jump in the future........
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Fathom is definitely one of the best SEOs we have here on seochat. His advice would always be useful, no questions about it and I also agree that Title plays a vital role in your site rankings. I also had a huge positive effect on one of my sites after I changed my Title.
    Congrats again and do share your SEO experiences like this from time to time. Reps to you for that
  13. Angel down from Heaven
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Congrats to you and to fathom who gave you advise which increase your keyword ranking.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Title tags are no doubt important but in your case there might be something more that pushed your rankings ahead.

but remember use your title tags wisely don't stuff it with keywords or else big G wont like it.
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

From my opinion Title Tag is important. But I can seen many website in past the title have not been properly optimized or frame but it rank well from many other things.

Expected Title are many other areas which will help to rank well
  19. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Title tag is by far IMHO the most important on-page optimization factor. H1, alt, keyword density etc etc I throw out. The title tag however is crucial to selling a visitor and does have a nice value. I have seen simple title changes make considerable increases in rankings.

Write the wrong title/description and no matter where it ranks the site your dead. So when working on that make sure your more worried about how it will effect converting searchers to visitors to orders/signups.
    -DONíT BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

-title is important and metatag description
    - this test is important if you give how many backlinks you in this period and what is the anchor text that you have used.
    Last edited by referencement06; Apr 2nd, 2007 at 02:23 PM.
  23. rod@missionop.com

Ya well don't bother playing suck-up cause I don't fall for it!

If you write something I disagree with - the world soon knows!

Comments on this post

• NavyCS agrees : "Ya well don't bother playing suck-up cause I don't fall for it!" -DAMN!
  25. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by referencement06
    -title is important and metatag description
    - this test is important if you give how many backlinks you in this period and what is the anchor text that you have used.
    Prove it!

I got $10K for the person that can prove Meta Description:

1. increases ranks or

2. increases traffic

over "NOT USING IT".
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    Prove it!

1. increases ranks or

2. increases traffic

over "NOT USING IT".
    $10K?

If I get to choose the keywords for the test, you've got a deal :-)

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  29. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    Prove it!

1. increases ranks or

2. increases traffic

over "NOT USING IT".
    That is probably the stupidest thing I ever heard you say. It is a proven fact that it can increase traffic. A crappy description will bring few people but a well written description will get many clicks.
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: