1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Tips For Starting New Site

Any tips on giving a new site a bit of a helping hand when competing against established sites.
    All The Fun Of The Fair !!!
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Yeah - buy an existing site.

At least if you can afford to. That way the ground work is already done, you already have a history, you already have your content, and you can already see for the most part what to expect search wise.

Then work on making that site better.

If you don't have that kind of budget, then think about it like you would building a house. You don't just jump in and start pouring the foundation - first you have to plan it out.

Put ideas to paper, use flowcharts, draw diagrams, hierarchies, whatever it takes to help you visualize where your information is going to go and what work you need to do before you go live.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : Yep.. Buying something already established is a great way to get a head start..
  5. SEO Professional

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    Yeah - buy an existing site.

At least if you can afford to. That way the ground work is already done, you already have a history, you already have your content, and you can already see for the most part what to expect search wise.

Then work on making that site better.

If you don't have that kind of budget, then think about it like you would building a house. You don't just jump in and start pouring the foundation - first you have to plan it out.

Put ideas to paper, use flowcharts, draw diagrams, hierarchies, whatever it takes to help you visualize where your information is going to go and what work you need to do before you go live.
    Great comparison between building a house and a web site.

A good question to ask yourself is why should you rank #1? Starting out methodical and informed can save you from a lot of scrambling later!
    Last edited by callenb; Sep 16th, 2010 at 10:34 PM.
    Get Your FREE SEO Guide on how I managed to grab the #1 position on Google
    for hundreds of extremely competitive keywords...

==> Get FREE Google Ranking Guide Here!
  7. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Glenn Kilpatric
    Any tips on giving a new site a bit of a helping hand when competing against established sites.
    Research... Try to find an informational gap in the market where you can start to develop a quality piece of link bait. It is a supply and demand question.. Look for a demand where the supply is of poor/limited quality in an area related to the particular niche you website will target.

Always keep in mind is what you need for ranks is quality links. So think about how you can develop you new website to increase your likliyhood of getting quality links.

Oh I agree with the panda... Look for stale sites (ones that have not been updated for a long time) in your general niche taht have a decent exisitng link profile. Make an offer to the owner/s.. You may get lucky and save yourself a lot of time and effort....
    Live the moment
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

do some keyword search.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

be patient to build backlinks.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I never thought about buying an existing site. That maybe is a good idea and I shall look at it. But focussing on starting from scratch. What tips have you got for me for attracting readers.

I have a new site. The site is about the town where I live. I have identified site categories and set up the site with cms and a pretty good magazine theme. As well as a business directory, reviews of restaurents etc, there is also a politics section where I believe I can draw people into debate.

The site is well seo'd using tips from joost. I have identified a niche area, Im adding content, I have a few site contributors who are helping add content.

How can I attract readers to the site.