1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Unhappy Thousands of SERPS thanks to hacker - does this kill my SEO?

I made the mistake of hosting multiple websites in one directory (never again) and sure enough a few of them were hacked about a month ago and used for backlinks...

It's all been fixed, updated and all of my sites are now locked-down like Fort Knox but I believe the damage has been done.

They didn't actually create 45,000+ pages on my website but they used some sort of .htaccess URL masking to make it look like there were 45,000+ pages on my site all containing very random stuff.

Bottom line -- I've asked Google to re-crawl & index (2 weeks ago) but I'm still seeing the 45,000+ links when I do a "site:website.com" search....

My two questions:

1. When will these dang SERP links be removed?
    2. Does this totally kill my SEO?

Thank you much!

T
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Ouch!

As far as Google are concerned, they can sometimes take quite a while to catch up with indexing after major changes, although they are normally pretty quick to deal with the majority of them.
    Timing can make a huge difference (eg: If they are implementing changes in any of their operations they can fluctuate between old/new results for ages) and (in my experience) it can take upwards of 9 months for them to get the full picture (migrated across all their Db's).
    As far as "your seo" is concerned, I don't believe it will have any lasting effect (this is something that google will be used to seeing and they must be pretty good at figuring out how/who/why)!
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. Marketroid
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Whew!

Have you considered redirecting all your traffic to a new site? Then, most your unanswered questions will be done. Right?