1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Which of these three link structures would you use for Google SEO? (Image site)

Okay. I've got a large image site to 'make nice' for Google. It is set up in the current way:

Method A:
    - Home page - first third of links to galleries (80 or so), as well as a link to 'Page 2' and 'Page 3', body text.
    - -Galleries on Home Page
    - - -Images in each Gallery from Home Page
    - -Page 2
    - - -Galleries on Page 2
    - - - -Images in each Gallery from Page 2
    - -Page 3
    - - -Galleries on Page 3
    - - - -Images in each Gallery from Page 3

Everyone either links to the 'Home Page' or to the individual galleries. So, I'm thinking that one of the two setups would be better:

Method B:
    - Home page - links to all galleries (250), body text.
    - -Galleries
    - - -Images in each Gallery

this way, the page rank flows directly from the main page into the galleries - this will boost those individual galleries, as people link to them. However, I think that having so many links on the main page will hurt it, as they will dilute the 'grabby' text.

However, how about this:

Method C:
    - Home page - no wholesale direct links to the galleries: instead, lots of text and highlights of the popular galleries(3-5). also, Links to 'Page 1' of galleries, Page 2, and Page 3
    - -Galleries on Page 1
    - - -Images in each Gallery from Page 1
    - -Page 2
    - - -Galleries on Page 2
    - - - -Images in each Gallery from Page 2
    - -Page 3
    - - -Galleries on Page 3
    - - - -Images in each Gallery from Page 3

This way, I think the lack of a 'link list' will make Google happy, and allow me to target the best galleries. then, I can split off into each section.

Assume that all of these are easily navigatable, and users wouldn't mind which one.

So, what do you think? This is a big deal for me, and I'm really interested in making my site the best possible. After a big hit on 2/2 (from #2 to #114), even though I really working on quality backlinks and content, I'd like to get back to saving up to open a retail store in my hometown.

Which method do you like? Thank you SO MUCH for your help!
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

IMO Linkage strategies should be built around a keyword "tree" in which the most competetive keywords are the main branches. This structure normally organizes your site resources into logical categores. You then SEO those main branches for a keyword where you have a coincidence of... 1) site power to rank well and 2) qualified search volume. As the power of your site grows you will be able to change the keyword focus, moving to more difficult terms that have higher or more qualified traffic.

This is my approach... 1) Assess the keyword possiblities for your site, 2) do kw research for volume and conversion potential, 3) assess competitinon, 4) then design a site structure around those, 5) with compromise where needed to yield a structure that site users will be able to follow.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ah, okay. Based on that, my site has two 'main' keywords, and a slew of 'tier two' ones.

'widget pictures' and 'widget galleries'. I SEO for both of these on the Home Page.

now, I have a slew of other keywords - "title-of-each-widget pictures", etc.

Would it be, then, best to use method C - SEO the homepage for 'widget pictures', and then have each individual gallery SEO for its 'type-of-widget pictures' method? Have each of th three 'listing' page, as they receive no links, only SEO for much rarer 'tier one' KW? (widget images, widget collection, etc)

as always, thanks, EGOL, you are a big help!
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

You are focusing on "widget xxxxxx" keywords with xxxxx being "picture, image, photo" etc... however, "zzzzzz widgets" is likely more productive if your collection supports that type of kw heirarchy. I have some image collections and tiny variants of the zzzzzzz widgets hauls in the traffic. Go for both and include generous, very generous, extra generous text on those pages that incorporates potential minor keywords.
    Last edited by EGOL; Mar 20th, 2005 at 10:22 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Okay, my question now (boy, so many questions!) is that while I can SEO my main gallery page for 'widget pictures' and 'widget images', stretching to 'pictures of widgets' and 'pics of widgets' is a, well, stretch.

If my secondary (page 2, page 3) pages were SEO'd for 'pics of widgets', 'galleries of widgets', that'd be great, but no one will link to them - why link to an intermediate 'page 2'?

as for extra generous, you mean talk about the widgets, the picture quality, etc etc?
  11. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

zzzzzz widgets = brass widgets, red widgets, canine widgets

YES, talk about them as much as you can
    Last edited by EGOL; Mar 20th, 2005 at 11:49 AM.
  13. Resident Black Hat
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by EGOL
    IMO Linkage strategies should be built around a keyword "tree" in which the most competetive keywords are the main branches. This structure normally organizes your site resources into logical categores. You then SEO those main branches for a keyword where you have a coincidence of... 1) site power to rank well and 2) qualified search volume. As the power of your site grows you will be able to change the keyword focus, moving to more difficult terms that have higher or more qualified traffic.

This is my approach... 1) Assess the keyword possiblities for your site, 2) do kw research for volume and conversion potential, 3) assess competitinon, 4) then design a site structure around those, 5) with compromise where needed to yield a structure that site users will be able to follow.
    Interesting. WHat do you do in the case of dynamically generated content. For instance, I have a database of 11,000 articles I'm gonna put on my site.

G-Man
  15. Mr. Goober Guy ;)

Egol, I can't give you any "Props"...I used them all up

This is jam up advise and should be put in the FAQ! It is right and it works. Very generous of you to share it.

Geoffrey, make sure those articles are related to your sites topic and you set the layout up so they do not create duplicate content issues. Having purchased them bulk, chances are they are already in use on the web. If you're just using them for page count then the probability exisits they will hurt your site far more than you think they will help.

I make it a point, when someone submits an article to me, that I split that article up into sectioned pages to address the duplicate content issue. I expect them to have been used in other places, including the authors own site. If I like them, and they offer benefits to my visitors, this is the only way I will publish them. Not sure how you would do that with a data feed.

BTW, you don't need 11000 pages of "Fluff" to rank well and drive targeted traffic. ;)

Cheerios
    Cheerios!

New to SEO? See the FAQ!

My Disclaimer:
    Don't Listen To Me - I know nothing!
  17. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Originally Posted by GeoffreyF67
    Interesting. WHat do you do in the case of dynamically generated content. For instance, I have a database of 11,000 articles I'm gonna put on my site.

G-Man
    Get out paper and start drawing trees.
  19. Resident Black Hat

Get out paper and start drawing trees.
    Drawing trees?

G-Man
  21. Mr. Goober Guy ;)

Originally Posted by GeoffreyF67
    Drawing trees?

G-Man
    oops...hit the wrong key.

Tree G-man

File heirchy

level one
    level two
    level three

within each folder are branches. those branches can link to other other pages in another....hmmmm..

OK, you roots are your index page
    your top level pages are your trunk
    your sub-directories are you limbs
    and you files within are your branches

This is a veeeeeeeeeeeery basic idea

How you structure your site determines what acts as what.
    Structure is determined by hiearchy as established by the links from your root, or your index page
    how your tree grows is dependent upon how you interlink your site, subfolders you create, and the content within.... the trunk, the limbs and finally the branches.

The thing that comes to mind for me when I type this is a flow chart. Whether its the one you got at working that starts with the president of the company the trees out and usually runs 3 or 4 levels deep in order of department heads. It gives a chain of importance and authority.

God I hope this made sense...lol

Cheerios
  23. Resident Black Hat

Yeah, made sense. I thought Egol was nattering about being an Artist at first. Ok, so I didn't get enough sleep last night Perhaps it's time for me to go take a nap. Getting this stupid code to link these pages working is driving me nuts atm

G-Man
  25. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

One of the more powerful things about this is when the branches of the tree have an opporunity to cross... and more powerful than that is when the branches of two trees (sites) have an opportunity to cross. Smoke on that one for a while, Geof... will make an artist out of you yet.