Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture

Question are these index errors?

Really hope somebody can help me with this. This is a pic of what I am getting.

(could not see pic in preview so here is link if it does not show https://1drv.ms/i/s!ArR4n1rbIjTYqwBl8oxBHtPRks3o )

OK, I got this when I did a site search site:domain.com, plus there was many more URLs, three for each state. I just selected the Nevada ones to demonstrate the problem.
    For some time now none of these pages show up in a google search, I have gone back and searched all the listings google brought up, 20 pages and nothing there.

1. I first created the page Nevada. For some reason in the description you will see Rapheal 2.0 AL AK... This relates to a javascript map on that page that google decided to put in the description. Even though there was already a proper description tag made up. But thats not the problem.

2. Later on I decided to target the keyword Nevada-Gun-Laws so I changed the permalink to that, (this is a wordpress site).

3. Not sure if this is related to the problem of why the pages do not show up. But you will see there is no HTTPS just starts with WWW

Anyway basically it appears google has three references in its index pointing to the same page. Is this anything to worry about and could it be the cause of some 50 pages never showing up in google searches?
  3. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

So basically you have three pages indexed for each state with the same content for each state? When did you change the permalink? I ran a couple of those URLs and they show 301 redirect to /nevada-gun-laws/ so you seem to have done everything right...

Also, have you lost any actual search referral traffic? Are there changes in Google Analytics?
    Last edited by Ann Smarty; Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:50 PM.
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Here is what i see when I tested this today

https://www.gunstocarry.com/nevada-gun-laws/
    > Returns page in browser
    https://www.gunstocarry.com/nevada/
    > redirects to: https://www.gunstocarry.com/nevada-gun-laws/
    https://www.gunstocarry.com/ccw-reci...vada-gun-laws/
    > Redirects to https://www.gunstocarry.com/nevada-gun-laws/

Based on this check, there should not be an index error, unless for some reason, these other URIs appear in your sitemap
    if google for some reason picked these up in the past, they will see that these URLs redirect and these will fall from the index. Based on the test that I did, this should not affect your placements in google organic.
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  7. No Profile Picture

Thats correct similar content for each state, the headings are the same apart from the state name, and URLs only differ by state name. Page content is close but not exactly the same for each state. I changed the permalink about 4 weeks ago. I cant tell about search traffic as nobody can find these pages on a google search, they mostly get zero clicks. So reason they do not show up in google search is starting to look like maybe very similar content, would you agree?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by waynepatt58
    I cant tell about search traffic as nobody can find these pages on a google search, they mostly get zero clicks. So reason they do not show up in google search is starting to look like maybe very similar content, would you agree?
    The reason you are getting no clicks is probably due to the fact that you are at the fold on page 2, not duplicate content. I picked a few phrases from the page. Choosing from elements like title, h tags. I finally found you with this...see pict below. Your site has a lot of other sites to compete against, of which include gov sites. Your content is not targeting your chosen keywords is my opinion of your ranking issues. You are showing up as shown below on page two approx #15. You probably want to re-write some of your content..

Here's an example.. around the middle of the page you have a section labeled Permits / License. you may want to consider changing it to Gun Permits / Concealed License. This is much less generic than the former. Maybe consider changing the section below that from "Required" to "Gun Permit Requirements". I just see a lot of un-tapped on page resources in my opinion, all over the page.
  11. No Profile Picture

Smile thank you

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    The reason you are getting no clicks is probably due to the fact that you are at the fold on page 2, not duplicate content. I picked a few phrases from the page. Choosing from elements like title, h tags. I finally found you with this...see pict below. Your site has a lot of other sites to compete against, of which include gov sites. Your content is not targeting your chosen keywords is my opinion of your ranking issues. You are showing up as shown below on page two approx #15. You probably want to re-write some of your content..

Here's an example.. around the middle of the page you have a section labeled Permits / License. you may want to consider changing it to Gun Permits / Concealed License. This is much less generic than the former. Maybe consider changing the section below that from "Required" to "Gun Permit Requirements". I just see a lot of un-tapped on page resources in my opinion, all over the page.
    Thanks thats the best advice I have had. Can you tell me what you mean by "at the fold on page 2" I'm fairly new to SEO so probably making plenty of mistakes here. But I certainly appreciate all the advice from this forum.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The "fold" is what you see from the bottom of your monitor or device screen and up. Above the fold is what you can see with out scrolling down. Below the fold requires you to scroll your screen down.
  15. No Profile Picture

at the fold

The "fold" is what you see from the bottom of your monitor or device screen and up. Above the fold is what you can see with out scrolling down. Below the fold requires you to scroll your screen down.
    So what you mean is I should put more relevant content above the fold, maybe the map to attract people to the page? Or should it be keywords for google? Plus I assume I would need to take into account screen sizes as above the fold on a 24" screen would look totally different on a 13" screen.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes pretty much what you said... but don't use the map for above the fold content. Use key worded text.
  19. No Profile Picture

Ok, many thanks, I've started making some changes. Maybe I should use a media query for the smaller screens.
  21. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

Yes pretty much what you said... but don't use the map for above the fold content. Use key worded text.
    That got it to page 1 position 10 Would you be able to have a look to see if you can suggest any other improvements. There are no back links to the page as yet.
    I searched for your same phrase: nevada gun laws concealed carry guide although google is showing no volume on that search term so may need to change something to get more traffic.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Your Nevada page is looking quite a bit better. I do prefer this page to your others.

Originally Posted by waynepatt58
    I searched for your same phrase: nevada gun laws concealed carry guide although google is showing no volume on that search term so may need to change something to get more traffic
    Yes you will, and welcome to the wonderful world of Key Word Research. Now you just have to figure out which terms bring in the traffic and target those terms..
  25. No Profile Picture

Your Nevada page is looking quite a bit better. I do prefer this page to your others.
    I was going to implement a new page design, have only installed it on the Alaska page so far. More graphics and video plus a much bigger word count
    (4243) to be exact. Would be interesting to see what you think of this one compared to the Nevada page. gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-in-alaska/ (not sure if I am allowed to post a link here?)

Regarding the keywords, This is such a small niche market that there is not that many keywords to choose from. All the main ones have been taken and most long tails have zero volume according to Adwords. In the Nevada page and all the others I targeted the keyword GUN LAWS, I just added NEVADA to the front and the same for each other state California GUN LAWS etc. I think this may be part of the rating problem as that keyword is one of the main ones targeted, volume of 14,800 per month. I changed it around a bit with the Alaska page to "gun laws in Alaska"
    But I am thinking I should just get rid of the gun laws
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The Alaska page does have more graphics. Both the Alaska and Nevada pages are better, but it's up to you which one. Me I like some elements of both.

You have two more issues, concerns page load speed and chained redirects. Redirects take time to accomplish. You need to fix the following by eliminating the second redirect and go straight from the 1st url to the last url in one rewrite.

http://gunstocarry.com should be rewritten straight to https://www.gunstocarry.com

29. No Profile Picture

http://gunstocarry.com should be rewritten straight to https://www.gunstocarry.com
    Yes I agree with the redirect. I noticed that a few weeks ago but have been unable to find the location of that redirect. Checked the htaccess file, not there, I have Yoast installed so thinking maybe that has done something. Other problem is I cannot access the home page with the theme I use so maybe the redirect is there? Anyway the main issue is just locating the redirect right now so it can be modified.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: