1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

are these 301 redirects normal?

I created a new page as a test and straight away get all these redirects. I am using wordpress and this happens with every page I create. I thought it may have been Youst plugin so deleted that but did not change anything. Maybe this is normal, I don't know so I am hoping some one can look at the post and tell if I can leave it as is or do I need to change anything, thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not sure if the image link went through so posting again
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckyxstcb0yu3who/test.PNG?dl=0
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hi Waynepatt58

You have something very badly miss-configured ... You have created chained redirects, in this case 4 deep. This is on the edge of making the page non-indexable by Google.

Since you are using Word Press, you probably have a plugin miss-configured or a conflict between a couple of plugins. You need to look at your htaccess file and your WP configuration.

Definitely fix this Yesterday !

7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks, will have a go at tracking them down.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2hjfudffh9lnho/ht.PNG?dl=0

OK this is how the htaccess file looks like. from what I can make out is just the default standard script in there so should be OK. So not sure where to go now?
  11. No Profile Picture

I have looked at your site multiple times over the last few months. This behavior was not present last time when I looked at your site.

I would suspect that it has to do with the trailing "/" you have added to the url.

Look at the following url examples...

Leaving out the www in the url >>> https://gunstocarry.com/newpage2/

This works as it should.. 1 redirect to the correct url

Leaving out just the trailing "/" >>>> https://www.gunstocarry.com/newpage2

This works as it should. 1 redirecdt to the correct url

Leaving out www and leaving out the trailing "/" >>> https://gunstocarry.com/newpage2

This results in 2 redirects to the correct url, so I would start looking at how you add the "/".

This shows that you have chained your redirects, which is wrong. You should send the url to the correct destination url the first time.
    Mean...

http://gunstocarry.com/newpage2

should go to

https://www.gunstocarry.com/newpage2/

So how are you telling WordPress to add the trailing "/" ???
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial

So how are you telling WordPress to add the trailing "/" ???
    Agree its all to do with the /

I think the htaccess file is placing the / in there. The file has not been modified it is just the standard install.

line 5 says RewriteBase /

The only change I have made in last few months is to move the site to WPengine hosting from godaddy.

I have spoken to them at least three times now and they say all the settings on their end look normal.

I think the problem is all the URLs should have a / at the end of them and you would think thats what the code in htaccess is supposed to do. However the URLs do not have the trailing slash and then on the very last redirect htacess puts in the / which creates the extra redirect.
    If I can get the trailing slash to show on the first URLs there would be no need for another redirect on the last URL and that should eliminate the extra redirect. Problem I have is why this / is not being implemented first off and only at the last redirect? Everything looks normal, I can only think it is on the hosting which I cannot see how they have configured, can only go with what they tell me.
  15. No Profile Picture

Your htaccess file is fine from what I can see. It looks just like the standard WP install.

You most likely have a corrupted installation, or a corrupted plugin.

How did you migrate your site ???

But to force the use of slash...

You can force the trailing slash by going into your WP backend,, then select settings, then select permalinks, then select the radial for postname.

Now something to consider, if you migrated to WP hosting at Godaddy, then you may have a conflict with your selection of plugins, and the current ver of WP. Not all plugins are compatible with the latest ver of wordpress. Some need to be rewritten to fix issues.

This is what I am pretty sure is your problem.

So check your plugins to make sure they are verified to work with the current ver of your WP install. Also you may have to back down the PHP ver on your server.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for all the support. Yes the htaccess is just standard so that should eliminate it. I have had the radial for postname selected from first day site went live. I am wondering if it just puts the slash in for only posts and not regular pages? Migration was I think done via a utility from WPengine, the migration was from godaddy to WPengine. I have just deactivated all the plugins (except cornerstone) but get the same re-directions
  19. No Profile Picture

Activating postname will put the slash on post and for sub-pages, "But not the home page".

I just remembered something...

check your entire site, looking in sub-folders for additional htaccess files, yes, sounds funny, but each folder can have a htaccess file that is for that folder only.

It may be in your case you have that additional redirect hidden there...

If not then you may have to edit your functions file for filters that adds the "/".
  21. No Profile Picture

You should be able to login to your Cpanel and then use the file manager to view the actual directory structure.

This will allow you to see any files and the contents of any htaccess file.

I have a few sites on Godaddy accounts I manage, so I know that functionality is there. None are just WP hosting per-say but I would imagine that it would be the same.