Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is there a reason to do anymore SEO?

Here is my situation:

About 2 months ago I started making a website for my contracting company. About 4 weeks ago I started adding pages specific to individual cities in the area that I would like to service, I put links to those cities pages at the bottom of each page on the site (the typical cluster of city names in the footer). I also did other very basic on-site SEO type of things.

I signed up for about 8-10 big name directories such as Yelp, Manta, Super Pages, etc. I also did Google WMT, Places, Google+, and Analytics.

I now see that searching Google with "______ electrician" with the city name brings my website up in the 3rd to 5th spot on the first page. I have tried this on clean browsers, at the library that I never used before, at friend's/family's houses, and even had some people around the country try it. My site comes up.

So my questions are: Do I have to do more SEO? It seems like my goal of getting on the first page is already reached, nevermind the fact that I am #3 on many of them.
    Do I have to keep doing something to maintain that position?
    Finally, some people told me that the cluster of city names in the footer could hurt me, especially with the new algorithms. I assume that won't be a problem since I only did it in the last 3-4 weeks and it gave me a good ranking, right?
    Last edited by Contra; Feb 9th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

How are sales? (new contracts that is)

I would assume you started a website and did everything you did not to see if you were any good at SEOing but to drum up business.

If you haven't got any new contracts... how is traffic?

If you have traffic... why are they not converting?

You reached Level1 in the game!

Now start Level 2!
  5. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Contra
    Finally, some people told me that the cluster of city names in the footer could hurt me, especially with the new algorithms. I assume that won't be a problem since I only did it in the last 3-4 weeks and it gave me a good ranking, right?
    If on your own domain and you are linking only in your domain... it won't be a problem ... it just may look embarrassing. (not saying it is but others are sort of suggesting it taints your website).

There are elegant way of doing this e.g. an image map of the region and with each visible city linking to that page (and the alt="reflecting the keyword phrase you desire ranks for".
  7. No Profile Picture

If the sales are going good, then you can slow down. Otherwise, keep working
  9. Agency SEO

So my questions are: Do I have to do more SEO? It seems like my goal of getting on the first page is already reached, nevermind the fact that I am #3 on many of them.
    You have barely scratched the surface. There are hundreds of key phrases that people use to find an electrician.
  11. No Profile Picture

SEO offers not only short term but long term results too. If you stop now, your competition might catch up in a month or two. SEO should be undertaken as a continuous process. And, as KernelPanic mentioned it before me, there are still many keyphrases you haven't ranked for yet.
  13. No Profile Picture

are you having sales? you should still continue to have seo to maintain in that position. having seo is not just a one time job, it has to be done over and over again.

Comments on this post

• conorology agrees
  15. Contributing User

Originally Posted by JennifferGrey
    are you having sales? you should still continue to have seo to maintain in that position. having seo is not just a one time job, it has to be done over and over again.
    The ONLY thing that I did was build the site. So what are you saying that I have to do over and over again? Build a new website?!?!?!
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

So what are you saying that I have to do over and over again? Build a new website?!?!?!
    No, that would be muppet talk. Just consider SEO has taking an adverts in the local newspaper. So how many advertisements do you need (and what size) to hit your goal. If it's just to get enough business to keep you busy you would stop there.

SEO is similar but you don't have to pay the newspaper! Once your ranking and traffic are bringing you the business you want you don't have to do anything unless:
    - your competitors start SEOing and push you out of the rankings
    - you change your goal to expand your business and so you want to find other ways to increase converting traffic.

I know websites that rank at the top and they have ranked at the top for they keywords for years and years. They are not SEO strong sites but their competitors are not trying to take them out ... yet.

So why do more SEO than you need to?
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

You might not need to concentrate as much effort on SEO but you should continue.

1. A competitor will eventually figure out how to build links. If you keep building them you will get so far ahead it is almost impossilbe to catch you.
    2. There are other phrases you should look at. x electricians, x electrical services, electricians in x, electrical contractors x etc. etc.
    3. SEO can be helped by other online marketing efforts that could bring in sales by themselves. For example gathering positive reviews from your customers on Yelp, angies list, or the equivalent or generating a facebook presence (wiring disaster of the week comes to mind)
    4. There is no reason not to shoot for first place. Even more recent studies have shown increased results for that position.

By all means move some of your marketing energy / money to other channels but I would keep going on the SEO in the background.
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by realityhack
    Even more recent studies have shown increased results for that position.
    We've been talking about this on another thread recently so very close to my argumentative heart. What are the recent studies? Cheers.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Doodled,
    I was referring to that thread, I seem to remember some still showing differences even if they were lower and lots of anecdotal evidence. I do remember the stuff you linked that indicated a flattening out on the first few places.
  25. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I've personally given up on SEO and I am currently working at Burger King. You may have it your way, dear.

Comments on this post

• Doodled agrees : Any vacancies at your branch ... ?
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  27. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by joshz
    I've personally given up on SEO and I am currently working at Burger King. You may have it your way, dear.
    Boy are you a loser! The clown can whoop the crown and shove it up your *** any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees : :-( I'm going to spit in your burger!
  29. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    Boy are you a loser! The clown can whoop the crown and shove it up your *** any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Would you like fries with that?

Rod. You need this book: The Official Dictionary of Sarcasm: A Lexicon for Those of Us Who Are Better and Smarter Than the Rest of You: James Napoli: 9781402769528: Amazon.com: Books

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: