Thread: Testing google

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Testing google

I want to setup some sort of test environment to try out different on-page techniques, but I don't really know where to start. I was thinking of getting a domain and some hosting, then setting up different pages with the same content on the domain with different techniques used on each page and then track which ones get indexed and which ones rank higher.

The problem is won't google suspect something if I have many pages with the same content, and will that mean I'll need a different domain for each page? Also, to get indexed I'll have to give each page a different but equal strength external link which will be difficult to do accurately.

If anyone has any tips on this that would be great.

Cheers
  3. Customized?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Google will not because you are a very small fish in the biiiiig pond. So go ahead a try your tests BUT...
    ...I have a better idea for you: Read this forum, it is a really goldmine of information, onpage, offpage,linkbuilding, everything you can imagine is somewhere here.

But, as this forum is a fantastic information source it needs input as well, so if you test something share your results.
    Take and give!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I always encourage people to do tests themselves, so go ahead!
    I think that you might get some results your way, but it would be more reliable if you used different domains that are not interlinked with one another.
  7. No Profile Picture

Use different content with same level of keyword density and page size on different domain and start test with single link , before putting any other link, you should wait for 2-3 weeks to count the strength of particular link.
  9. learn from lurking
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

when i was i new in this business... i use blog.. though it was bit different... but you can see the changes and improvement of your work... ;)
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks for all the replies.

I would imagine that as some have said, any tests I can think up at this stage will already have been done better in the past, but I feel with anything the best way to learn is to try things out yourself.

I'm going to try buying a few domains and testing out some different on page factors on an invented keyword. Most probably the results will be meaningless and not very accurate, but if I do come across anything interesting I will post them here.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Google is considering the duplicated pages very badly

Originally Posted by Xeract
    I want to setup some sort of test environment to try out different on-page techniques, but I don't really know where to start. I was thinking of getting a domain and some hosting, then setting up different pages with the same content on the domain with different techniques used on each page and then track which ones get indexed and which ones rank higher.

The problem is won't google suspect something if I have many pages with the same content, and will that mean I'll need a different domain for each page? Also, to get indexed I'll have to give each page a different but equal strength external link which will be difficult to do accurately.

If anyone has any tips on this that would be great.

Cheers
    One thing to remember is that Google is considering the duplicated pages very badly, this means same content repeating on different pages and same layout strucuture repeating on different pages, even though the pages are hosted on different domains.

I think you should be trying/ testing with same theme with different content and different layout structure.