1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Tens of duplicate homepages indexed and blocked later: How to remove frm Google cache

Hi community,

Due to some WP plugin issue, many homepages indexed in Google with anonymous URLs. We blocked them later. Still they are in SERP. I wonder whether these are causing some trouble to our website, especially as our exact homepages indexed. How to remove these pages from Google cache? Is that the right approach?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

You can choose between the following according to your needs:

- Use a canonical tag to point all pages to the right one
    - Use the robot file to disallow whatever you don't want
    - Use the noindex,nofollow to stop index or follow anything that you don't want

Comments on this post

• amansharma1 agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by satish.seo
    Hi community,

Due to some WP plugin issue, many homepages indexed in Google with anonymous URLs. We blocked them later. Still they are in SERP. I wonder whether these are causing some trouble to our website, especially as our exact homepages indexed. How to remove these pages from Google cache? Is that the right approach?

Thanks
    Hey, can you please share the screenshot of indexed URL's on Google, if they still exists.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

I see a little bit of conflicting information here. Once the pages have been included in the index, the later use of robots.txt to block them will not work because they are in the index and there are links to the pages.

To remove these urls from Google's cache will take time.

1. Do not block these pages from crawling in your robots.txt file. If you block the page in robots.txt then whatever you do to the page Google will not be able to crawl the page.

2. If Google can not get to the page because it is blocked, then Google will not be able to see the Canonical tag if you use one, nor will Google will be able to see robots meta tag no index no follow. The page will remain in the index.

3. Putting a canonical on the page will not remove it from the index. It will flow the link juice to the proper page.

Now to fix this issue will take some time.

So your proper course of action should be as follows:

( remember do not block the page in robots.txt )

Add robots meta tag to the page.
    Then request Google to recrawl the page via Google Search Console if you have it set up for your site.

Problem solved, now you just have to wait on Google to go thru the motions of seeing the page, and honoring the tags. This can take time depending on how popular your site is on Google, some where between 2 weeks and 6 months.

Now you can speed things up some by the use of Googles URL Removal Tool. Now if the page ever gets crawled again, the meta tag will stop Google from re-indexing.

This is one of the few times I will recommend using the url removal tool.
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi, thanks for the detailed answer.

Sorry for not being very clear. Blocked means, I have added "noindex" meta tags to the pages. Again, they never get crawled from that day. My intention now to remove them from Google cache. I doubt whether they are hurting at being there with our homepage content. So, if they are there in search index, will they be considered all the time and hurt us for duplicate content issues?

Also, if we remove them from search results with "URL removal tool", will they be removed from search index or Google will still have them but stops showing us?

Please clarify.
  11. No Profile Picture

Here use this tool, but be fore warned. This tools is extremely dangerous. Improper use will trash your site !

Log into your GSC account, if you don't have one create one. Then go to the page shown below. The image is linked to the page but you will have to be logged in to your GSC account to actually access it.

13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

Thanks for suggesting this tool. I tried with an URL and couldn't able to proceed due to below reason.

The indexed URLs are no longer active, but redirecting to image URLs of our website which are active. Ex: example.com/seo-forum/ is the URL we would like to remove, but all such URLs are redirecting to image URLs in website like example.com/seo-icon.png.

So, Google tried to analyse the given URL and redirected to the image URL. Then asked whether we have deleted the image or not? As the image is active, I couldn't able to proceed. Now we got technically struck between Yes and No. One solution we have is to deleted all the images and upload with different names, so the Google will end up on non-existing URLs but it's very laborious task.

Don't know how to get out of this.
  15. No Profile Picture

Sorry, I had forgotten to answer your next question.

Originally Posted by satish.seo
    One solution we have is to deleted all the images and upload with different names, so the Google will end up on non-existing URLs but it's very laborious task.
    I think there is a easier and faster way...
    Remove the redirects rules on the urls you want to eliminate on the web. This way the image stays and you get rid of the ulrs.

Now all of those ulrs can be removed because there will be no redirect in place if I am not mistaken.

There has to be something that is different between the two urls, or you wouldn't be using a redirect to arrive at the proper image url.

Oh and you should look for instances on your site of those same urls then either remove them or point them at the image, which ever is more appropriate. Saves a redirect rule and speeds things up a bit, but nothing to write home about.