1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Targeting keywords - easy! Targeting many - hard!

Hi

Having a bunch of sites all with a singular focus getting ranked is relatively easy (I said relatively!) - get the links, make sure anchor text in place, optimsie content, blah blah blah! So far so good!

But what is the best way to get mutiple rankings for a site containing hundreds/thousands of products? Assuming I can only get one link per directory/site then this can only be optimsed for a couple of products not the many I need.

I have tried creating individual pages for each keyword/product, get site map in, nav and file structure OK, PR good and spread well across all of the site - but still many keyword/products do not feature.

Of course I do not expect to feature for every keyword/phrase as often bigger more focussed sites will always win and quite right too! But even so is there a way this can be done!

Thoughts once again svp!

(this does not relate directly to my current sig by the way)
    Fingers crossed!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

cityneil...one way you can do it, since you say you are creating individual pages for each keyword/product, you can create inbound links to the individual pages with the keyword for that page. Example:

homeshopping.html - create inbound linking with anchor text "home shopping"
    product1.html - create inbound linking with "product1" anchor text
    product2.html - create inbound linking with "product2" anchor text
    and so on...

So rather than building a linking campaign bringing users to the homepage, direct each keyword to it's individual page that has optimized textual information pertaining to that keyword.

This allows you to distribute keywords to different pages with different url's. We have done this with a couple of clients that had a couple hundred keywords they wanted to conquer. We have also tried it sending all keywords to the homepage and the results are much tougher to accomplish since you can really only put so much information on one page.

If you want help with this...PM me and I can give you some suggestions.
  5. Free the SB
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

That is a great strategy. Make sure your inbounds reflect the anchor text you need. You might also want to pm webby, through this forum. He is well recognized and also handles travel sites that have a combination of major terms and many many minor terms. He has and is working through interior linking and the rise and fall of minor keywords in a large site.

Dave