1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Sudden drop in rankings, don't undertstand why

Hi
    Recently I came back to my site that I didn't do any SEO for since a few years. First thing I noticed is that Google was no longer considering it mobile friendly. So I updated the mobile template to bring the site up to the Google requirements. Also I registered a trial account with one Google rank checking tool. That's all what I did. And right after I did that, around October 20, my site's rankings have dropped for all important keywords and for all platforms (desktop, mobile, tablet). This resulted in a significant visitor drop as seen in the graph below.
    It can't be a coincidence but I am really baffled. I don't see any reason why the rankings could have dropped because of what I did. I am even getting a weird idea that the Google ranking service might have done something to force me to buy their paid subscription. I know that sounds weird but really I can't find a more logical explanation.
    Does anybody have an idea why this might have happened?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I have a couple of questions...

1. When you updated the theme template, did you change the url structure ? Generally changing the theme can result in a url change and this will tank your rankings.

2. You mentioned you signed up with a Google Rank Checking Service. Then you refer to them as a Google Ranking Service. These terms not the same thing. This sounds like they rank your site and do not just check your rankings in the serps.

Could you clear up these two questions ??

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  5. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Always be prepared to undo any recent changes when you see a significant drop in rankings.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    I have a couple of questions...

1. When you updated the theme template, did you change the url structure ? Generally changing the theme can result in a url change and this will tank your rankings.

2. You mentioned you signed up with a Google Rank Checking Service. Then you refer to them as a Google Ranking Service. These terms not the same thing. This sounds like they rank your site and do not just check your rankings in the serps.

Could you clear up these two questions ??
    1. I took good care to preserve the URLs. Maybe just a few might have chaned but mostly they did not chage. But i've noticed that the rankings have dropped for all versions of my site - desktop, mobile, tablet. The desktop version was not affected by the change of the mobile template, all URLs in it remain as they were. So there must be some other reason.

2. I mean rank checcking service. All they do is checking site's position in SERPs for specific keywords.
  9. No Profile Picture

Ok,

1. When did you implement the changes to the template.

2. Did you put 301's in place for any url changes.

3. What is the domain name.... no http / https / www >>> yourdomain.com <<< this way we will not have to delink it.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 8th, 2018 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
  11. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

What are a few of these important keywords that dropped?
  13. No Profile Picture

Ok,

1. When did you implement the changes to the template.

2. Did you put 301's in place for any url changes.

3. What is the domain name.... no http / https / www >>> yourdomain.com <<< this way we will not have to delink it.
    1. The changes were implemented during one week from 12 to 19 October. The drop in rankings as seen on the graph happened around 20 ˇctober
    2. I did not put 301s. The few URLs that changed are those that, with the old template, were different in the mobile and desktop versions. So I made those mobile URLs the same with their desktop counterparts. So no need for 301s
    3. Sorry, I didn"t get this question. The domain name is sahajayogaportal.com. There is a 301 redirecting non-www URLs to www. I do not use secure protocol so no https
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    What are a few of these important keywords that dropped?
    The keywords are mostly in Turkish as the site is in Turkish. Like "buršların ÷zellikleri" (qualities of Zodiac signs), Mozart, etc. The specifics of all those keywords is that they are not related with the actual subject of the site (yoga and meditation) but these are the keywords that bring the biggest traffic. That was the concept of the site - to attract to yoga those people who are not directly looking for it. But also it appeared that the competition for the keywords like 'yoga', 'meditation' is much higher. So those keywords that seem irrelevant were the main source of the traffic.
    And what happened is that the rankings dropped just for this kind of keywords. For the relevant keywords like 'yoga', 'meditation' the rankings seem to have remained the same. But they were already quite low so we don't get traffic from those keywords
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

All things look quite mixed here.
    No focus on content and ranking takes place for irrelevant kws, no focus to https...
    So how someone can expect some decent results around this?
  19. No Profile Picture

The domain name sahajayogaportal.com is not registered. You must have misspelled it or got the tld wrong. Which is it ??

21. No Profile Picture

The domain name sahajayogaportal.com is not registered. You must have misspelled it or got the tld wrong. Which is it ??
    Sorry, it's .org - not .com
  23. No Profile Picture

Yes, I know that there is no focus on content and I don't claim that we had outstanding results. But we did have quite good results for years. And now this has suddenly changed in just a couple of days. So I am trying to get help for this specific occasion, not for the general condition of the site.
    Besides, the concept has justified itself - we do have several sites focused on our specific content but this site does attract visitors who would never come to our specific yoga sites. So we get what we wanted.
  25. No Profile Picture

There are a lot of mistakes with this site.

This is a Multi-lingual site with no multi-lingual optimization

Page title issues, ranging from empty to duplicated

Pages using two languages like it was a single language

500 class errors

404 class errors

No proper 404 error handling

This list goes on and on ....

Hire someone that knows what they are doing and have them fix your site. This is the best advice I can give you.

Edited to add...

I would suggest you move away from Drupal and migrate to a WordPress solution. WP would be a much better platform for your particular situation.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 8th, 2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Spelling correction