1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Sudden Drop in Google Rankings

Hi!

I'm currently having some issues with my website. It's been up for almost five months and slowly moving up at SERPs from time to time.

I've been doing a constant link building, say 20 links a day, then I suddenly lessen the effort to 5 links a day (just 2 weeks up to this day). The links being build is much quality now than before.

My site ranked no.4 last Feb9, then I did some changes in wordpress set up- fixed the number of posts that will appear. That caused to some changes with the code also - but it's considered as part of the process since my site is hosted at wordpress. Now, my site dropped up to 90+ spot.

Is it something to do with my link building, or the code has something to do with it?

Can I ask for your clarifications, opinions and help in resolving this issue.

Thanks,
    aira
  3. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

then I did some changes in wordpress set up- fixed the number of posts that will appear
    If you changed how your site is structured you should expect a rank drop while Google reindexes your site.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I didn't actually touched the code or the structure of the site. I just chose an option in wordpress that displays a specified number of posts in homepage. However, since it is a blog-type site, the code automatically changed.
  7. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

As I said before, if you changed the structure of your site (and number of posts on a page is structure) then I would not be surprised to see a drop.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by Highland
    As I said before, if you changed the structure of your site (and number of posts on a page is structure) then I would not be surprised to see a drop.
    To Aira: Highland's right. Changing your site's content, codes, etc. (as long as it is inside your site) might affect your rankings. Just wait until google index your site again. Sooner or later it will go back to normal.
    Last edited by lailascott; Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:36 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks lailascott and Highland. Hope that the rankings will get back to normal as soon as possible.

Thanks for all the replies.