1. Online Business Builder
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Success Story of Website Recovery

Hello Friends,

At the time when I started my career as a link builder in 2008, the SEO job was too easy. Though I immediately got the first job after completing my graduation (even my last year’s result was awaiting) but when Google rolled the panda update I thought I made a late entry in SEO. I could have take more advantage of that time liberal Google and earned lots of money. Then penguin came in to the picture and SEO job became more tougher. But I was blessed that I met many intelligent geeks here at SEOchat as well as outside the forums. They help me to become intellectual and a matured SEO. Actually I would like to thank Google as well. Because due to their strict approach of valuing the websites, the spammers have been filtered and hence the value of SEO is even increased. So SEO is turned into even more respectful job.

Okay here is the story…
    Since 3 years, I have been working on a website that never got affected by any Google update. Site is having PR 6 and is dominating the first page of Google search for key terms. But on 17-March (the day before myblogguest was penalized), I have notice the partial drop in number of impressions in Google webmaster. And next day (18-Mar), the impression had been completely dropped. When I checked ranking of few important terms, I found that they are dropped from the first page and are nowhere to be found. Site’s impressions were dropped from 3000 to 200 and traffic was all time low. (note- site’s niche doesn’t have high search volume but still it’s competitive).

Backlink status:
    I have created many guest blogs recently and also created high quality one-way links. The highest PR backlink I got for this site was PR 6 (home page PR is 7) and the lowest one had PR 0 (home page PR is 4).This site is having around 5k external links. I started reviewing each links and tagging them as “spam”, “safe” and “not sure”.

My Findings:
    1. I have strong doubt that the recent guest blog that I have acquired might be associated with the myblogguest and since the network is penalized, my guest blog has passed the penalty. Also the webmaster had posted the same blog to its various sites and did content farming.
    2. Also this year we had a contract with one multinational firm who is having more than 30 locations in all major countries and has separate domain for each country. They did a press note about this contract with dofollow link and posted on all the domains they are having.
    3. I have also noticed many irrelevant sites have been pointing to our website. These were low quality Chinese sites. When I searched for these sites in Google I got few Google threads in which people had the issue with the same site. As I said above, our niche is competitive so it sounds like someone did negative SEO of our website. They might have used any automated tool and submitted our website to such low quality websites. (these sites are listed as highest number of incoming links in Google webmaster tool)

Actions:
    I have prepared list of such sites and started contacting their webmaster to take down the links but as expected I hadn’t heard back from any webmaster hence I disavowed all the objectionable links (links which I mentioned in my findings 1, 2 and 3) in three phases (first I disavowed on Chinese sites on 25-March, then I disavowed guest blog site on 08-Apr and finally I disavowed press note sites on 16-Apr.)

Results:
    So far, I worked on many websites that are affected either by Panda or penguin. I never noticed quick as well as 100% recovery even though the drop is not severe (just 10-20% traffic drop). But in this case, my website is recovered in just one month. On 22- Apr, I have noticed that impressions has been restored to its previous level (exactly the same level) and organic traffic is also restored. My key terms are back in the game. Some are even improved than their previous positions. Here the screenshot.

reocovery.PNG
    Lead, follow or leave the way...
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Congratulations and well done! Happy to hear that for you Chiragh. Thanks for both sharing the story of your recovery from Penguin and how you did it!
  5. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by chiragparekh
    I have strong doubt that the recent guest blog that I have acquired might be associated with the myblogguest and since the network is penalized, my guest blog has passed the penalty. Also the webmaster had posted the same blog to its various sites and did content farming.
    Be mindful that there are two distinctly different things that can occur. Loss of link juice, due to someone else being devalued which means nothing much left to pass does not mean the devaluation was passed on to you (as you call it 'a penalty). In fact, if you had a great link (or links) and someone removed them... that would seem like a penalty... when it is not.

Additionally, a "link scheme" is a totally different level of TOS violations. I say this because the massive shown recovery "IS NOT" what you can expect from a website that is actually devalued (in your words - penalized). A penalized website normally recovers gradually from a PENGUIN (e.g. a PENGUIN devaluation) as trust is slowly regained. You don't regain - trust "just like that!"
    Also this year we had a contract with one multinational firm who is having more than 30 locations in all major countries and has separate domain for each country. They did a press note about this contract with dofollow link and posted on all the domains they are having.
    This is not commonly a problem... all 30 pages would not likely gain massive appeal thus massive improved results therefore if you don't have massive improved results you can really have massive declines.

I have also noticed many irrelevant sites have been pointing to our website. These were low quality Chinese sites. When I searched for these sites in Google I got few Google threads in which people had the issue with the same site. As I said above, our niche is competitive so it sounds like someone did negative SEO of our website. They might have used any automated tool and submitted our website to such low quality websites. (these sites are listed as highest number of incoming links in Google webmaster tool)
    Very unlikely that anyone would waste time attempting to "artificially increase your ranks so you could artificially decline in ranks with the caveat - for a fee".
    All websites have what you called "irrelevant links"... some due to misinformation ("if you want traffic from Google link to other websites"), others due to cover for blackhat practices (linking to legit domains so you think you remain undetected) neither of which has any negative impact.

It is extremely rare for anyone to do this without insider information. Be that as it may, it is extremely common for website owners and those that promote the website unintentionally practice blackhat SEO out of ignorance or possibly with foresight and choose to believe they are not harming anyone.

I have prepared list of such sites and started contacting their webmaster to take down the links but as expected I hadn’t heard back from any webmaster hence I disavowed all the objectionable links (links which I mentioned in my findings 1, 2 and 3) in three phases (first I disavowed on Chinese sites on 25-March, then I disavowed guest blog site on 08-Apr and finally I disavowed press note sites on 16-Apr.)
    ...and unfortunately, just because you did this, and that happen, does not mean they are related... I can jump over a curb, walk inside the office and see results improved (or maybe declined or stayed the same) and say each of those were related to the curb jump... but that is, in fact, an unsubstantiated claim with no facts to support... that is what you claim here.

Case in point... you cannot prove what you are not privy to.

Results:
    So far, I worked on many websites that are affected either by Panda or penguin. I never noticed quick as well as 100% recovery even though the drop is not severe (just 10-20% traffic drop). But in this case, my website is recovered in just one month. On 22- Apr, I have noticed that impressions has been restored to its previous level (exactly the same level) and organic traffic is also restored. My key terms are back in the game. Some are even improved than their previous positions. Here the screenshot.
    Don't make the mistake of eating your own BS!

Here's the part to remember

So far, I worked on many websites that are affected either by Panda or penguin. I never noticed quick as well as 100% recovery

Your recent results are "a fluke" (or more commonly call improved results as likely not related to any "recovery) as your original premise has not changed in some way. You have most likely & wrongfully incorrectly diagnosed this as a recovery.

You should be able to repeat that success story again & again & again and honestly... it never works out that way... become your statement "I bolded" is quite accurate.
    Last edited by fathom; May 1st, 2014 at 12:31 PM.
  7. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Interesting case. Thanks for sharing. When I read the beginning of your post I figured that your drop in rankings was simply due to the loss of links from sites penalized in conjunction with MBG. I was not expecting to see a recovery.

Did you have a manual penalty on your site? A lot of the sites that were penalized because of a connection with MBG received an unnatural links notice in WMT.
  9. Online Business Builder
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

HI Fathom,

First of all thanks for your time and sharing your valuable view on this case.

Regarding the drop, this website was not dropped either by Panda or penguin as there wasn't any update rolled out that day. it's my mistake as I hadn't mentioned that. I was trying to convey a message that the panda and penguin can't be easily recovered. And recovery is not quick and 100%. Hence the case that I have is something different.

Regarding my findings, I still strongly believe that my site was affected by guest blog link. why? because drop date is exactly the same when myblogguest penalized and Matt tweeted that sites that are hosted on guest blog as well as sites benefiting from the links can also be affected. ref - https://twitter.com/mattcutts/status...38659689316353

I already slow down guest blog after matt's warning blog and since then I have created just one guest blog. Also this was the most recent activity/link I did/created for this domain and imo the most possible reason of drop could be the recent links.

Undoubtedly you are far experienced and can better interpret the things but with all due respect, during my career, I never faced this kind of drop that can automatically get regained. Yes in many cases where manual action is taken, the website could be automatically recovered after certain time frame but in that case site is completely removed from the indexed. I neither had a manual action nor my site was completely removed from the indexed.
    Last edited by chiragparekh; May 1st, 2014 at 12:25 PM.
  11. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I am not attempting to dissuade your thought process on what happened but I caution everyone to not jump to conclusions based solely on the date of alignment as the rest of Google (and all it's algorithms) didn't go on vacation.

Google has stated that while PENGUIN itself does not run every week it does run often and usually isn't announced.

Another interesting note from someone that has build networks (link schemes) for many years. When Google kills the network the link juice tends to flow for another month or two.

If you own both sides of the equation you can see that there is a time lag due to the need to recalculate billions of links without the unnatural culprits involved... that does not happen "just like that" either.
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Got algorythmic penalty recovery without getting new links and desired keyphrases back to top10. But it takes almost 3 months. Is this an average?