1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Subfolder Vs Subdomain

I was wondering if how one's rankings would be affected if one was to change a page from a static url to a subdomain?

For example if i have a page www . example . com / shoes . html and if I were to change it to http:// shoes . example .com how would that affect my rankings?

TIA,
    Sam
  3. SEO Gawdess
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Good question. I have wondered this in the past too.

Google Webmaster Tools list links from subdomains to the main domain as external links.

Question is... does the main domain pass link juice to sub.domains as they do to root /files or /directories?

A subdomain was already in place when I began working where I am. I don't think I would have set it up that way if I was given the option, but I've left it, not thinking it's worth the effort of changing.

Of course, if you planing on changing anything you've already got, set up 301s to pass the link juice it may already have.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Thanks!

I think I'm gonna wait a bit longer before checking it out my self...maybe someone else has already tried this...In any case the 301 redirect seems to be a must...So thanks again...

Originally Posted by Swirleigh
    Good question. I have wondered this in the past too.

Google Webmaster Tools list links from subdomains to the main domain as external links.

Question is... does the main domain pass link juice to sub.domains as they do to root /files or /directories?

A subdomain was already in place when I began working where I am. I don't think I would have set it up that way if I was given the option, but I've left it, not thinking it's worth the effort of changing.

Of course, if you planing on changing anything you've already got, set up 301s to pass the link juice it may already have.
  7. Capitalist
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by SamBeMad
    I think I'm gonna wait a bit longer before checking it out my self...maybe someone else has already tried this...In any case the 301 redirect seems to be a must...So thanks again...
    The search engines treat a sub domain as a completely different website. If you moved it to a subdomain it would not receive any benefits from your main website. You would have to do additional SEO work for just that sub domain.

In addition if you only have one page to move, I would not recommend it. A single page website won't hold much weight with Google.
    Last edited by DanielR; Sep 25th, 2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Typo
  9. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Take a look at this thread.
    Before you do anything consider whether the pages are relevant to your main site topic; if so I recommend you leave it as it is.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

subdomains vs. subdirectories

Subdirectories pass PR and trust to new pages created below it.

Subdomains add a new site to your site and if done in the right way, can essentially be a completely different site, and rank as a seperate site. In other words if you do it right you can rank #1 and #2 for the same term. whilst looking like 2 different sites.

There are many good and bad points to doing either...I have done both. Your competition is the determining factor.

Ask more questions and I'll tell you more.

GaryTheScubaGuy
  13. Contributing User

There are definitely advantages to both.

For example...it may be wise to stick user generated content in sub domain, as its not as likely to cause as big a liability for your main site if you have a problem.

However, it is a bit harder to bleed PageRank to a sub than a directory page.

They may in theory be external links from a sub to it's parent, but they don't count for much if at all.

Both methods add content and most likely authority if you are watching your p's and q's.

Some engines do not handle subs like they should. (this is getting much better) Most are fine, however. Also, some directories won't accept them.

Just my 2c
    --Melanie
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If search engines sees subdomain as completely different websites, how can you explain the fact that when searching, for example, seochat in google, SERP displays forums.seochat as a section of the main website ?
  17. Contributing User

They are not seen "exactly" a part of...more like related.
  19. No Profile Picture

Right...

My thanks to DanielR, ClickyB, GarytheScrubGuy and mprough for their replies and ones that made sense at that. I didn't know that subdomains are practically treated as something completely separate. Although that would explain the fact that you don't just inherit PR from the main domains in stuff like 110mb and other free website hosts which basically provide you with a sub-domain...

It would be nice if somebody could answer the forums.seochat.com question as well though I think whenever I searched for seo forums or whatever the forums.seochat and www. seochat. com pages came as different results so...

Thanks again...
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I'm a scrubber...
  23. No Profile Picture

Talking Sorry dude

Originally Posted by GaryTheScubaGuy
    I'm a scrubber...
    Typo *Scuba* not *scrub* sorry

Comments on this post

• GaryTheScubaGuy agrees : no worries