1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Subdomains or Domain Content?

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I think this somewhat unique.

I have a product search engine, very simple interface. I have a few shopping articles (adding more slowly), and some Top Picks pages, but not alot of content.

Now, would it be better to add specific "stores" (ie. Posters) to a subdomain and optimize that, and get the backlinks for that subdomain (with it linking to the main domain of course) or would it better to have all that content under the main domain, and use it for internal page rank ?

Thanks!
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by vertygo
    ... or would it better to have all that content under the main domain, and use it for internal page rank
    I would vote for second senario. I did a site for a company with around 3000 items in 60 categories.

Google appears to like large sites. It is much easier to optimize a single site than multiple sites. Had we created 60 subdomains we would have had to get backlinks for all 60.

Shannon
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

don't use subdomain unless the things you're adding is very different from your current topic. It takes a long time for google to establish a profile for a new domain (subdomain is considered a new domain).
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by vertygo
    . . . would it be better to add specific "stores" (ie. Posters) to a subdomain and optimize that, and get the backlinks for that subdomain (with it linking to the main domain of course) or would it better to have all that content under the main domain, and use it for internal page rank ?!
    SEO is a lot easier on one large site. You dilute SEO a lot by splitting up a domain into subdomains, which are treated as independent sites by GG and other SEs. If you subdomain a site into, say, 10, each has 10% of the effectiveness from SEO (inbound links) than one large site.

Crosslinking between subdomains is not much advantage, as GG discounts multiple links coming from the same subdomain. A few links help, a lot of links don't help much more.

I know this from personal experience. I have one subdomain that ranks at 1,500,000 by Alexia and a large domain (similar content) ranked at 150,000.
    Last edited by danZ; Oct 13th, 2004 at 05:57 PM.