1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Sub domains take away the pagerank/link juice of main website?

Hi all,

I would like to know how sub domains will be collaborated with domain or main website in terms of authority, backlinks, link juice, etc...Link juice will be passed to sub domains from domain or vice versa? If there are large number of pages in sub domain, will that going to impact the ranking of main domain? Backlinks of sub domain are going to be a deciding factor for website ranking too?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Sub domains are treated as separate entities, meaning they are considered separate sites.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks for the response. But I didn't get the answer I am expecting. I am aware of these separate sites. So does that means that backlinks or linkjuice or traffic of these different sites have nothing to do with each other? I don't think so as per my experience. But I am trying to find if some expert will give an most accurate answer as per their findings.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

What answer were you expecting.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Satish.seo,
    What KOS said plus...

"Link juice" passes between web pages. External links can go to any website page on any subdomain.

If you have 100 internal links on your domain's Home page and only 3 of these are links to sub-domain URLs, then a little less than 3% of incoming "juice" will pass to the 3 sub-domain pages.

Each of the sub-domains could have incoming links to them. If they have no links back to the main domain's URLs, they will not be passing "juice" back.

Then we have the issue that it seems G. no longer includes all external links in its "link juice" calculation. G. has recently said that it selects backlink pages based on their relevance to a specific search query. That means only some of all externally linked pages will be used to calculate what "link juice" is passed.

It has gone on to say that it is now virtually impossible for backlink tool vendors to assess what external links are included for "link juice" calculation.

If you think about the ramifications of those statements...

It could mean one relevant external link to an internal page may be worth 10,000 times the link juice of an irrelevant one to a site's Home page.

To my mind, the usefulness of site explorer tools, domain authority, page authority, trust flow, etc. measurement metrics got blown out of the water by G. since these changes were implemented.

Does this give you the detail you wanted?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Dec 7th, 2017 at 03:29 AM.