Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Stuck in a Google Dance?

Hello Guys,

I have one website which i am seriously stuck with, i come in work every morning and its there page 5-7 taunting me, checked at 11am its gone again further more to taunting me.

Today i forced a crawl by submitting a XML sitemap, and we appeared on page 7 almost instantly again only to drop back out 10minutes later.

So far I've tried adding content, to 2 landing pages on the site and 3 to the blog I've tried high PR and relevant directory submissions only 20 or so.

I've no web developer but we where ranking on page 7 static, before we payed a web developer to add a site map and make the site Responsive and browser friendly... they only added plug-ins and since this date we have been continuing to bounce around since the 6th but we where double ranking on this date... Funnily enough i believe there was an update on this date.

The site still is not responsive or browser compatible, but it appears well in all the latest browsers, and on all mobile devices.

I'm thinking about reversing what the web developer did, but also i add to another landing page on my site similar content but it was totally unique and mentioned 4 states of the keyword and had synonyms in there.

Could the issues i have identified be the cause? its no more compatible than it was originally, I've pretty much wiped out the fact that the content isn't the issue here.
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    You do not mention backlinks. What efforts are you expending there? You can have the most responsive, browser friendly excellent content site on the web, but without relevant QUALITY backlinks... you will be stuck in the back of the darkest of SERP caves. What is your backlink strategy? If you do not have one. Develop it, then implement it.

Comments on this post

• dzine agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Currently i'm about to start it, there is only one of me!

My backlink plan was,
    Directory submissions (Citations)for local search
    Then more high PR Directories that don't list your address.
    Create content and Bookmark it share it with my social media sites Fb, Twitter, G+ in hope it gets shared

I was looking at RSS feeds but Ive never set one up

I'm currently working on 5 sites the other are ranking well and claiming slowly with my on-page efforts.
    Off-page takes the time

The site had a bunch of really bad links to it too which i recently disavowed (2days ago) 15 to be exact.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

They ain't listed in any of the main directories either such as yell & 192
  9. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Directories, except for highly targeted or local, are a waste of time and may even hurt you. Backlinks you can get just by asking, e.g. directories or forums, are usually worthless in the eyes of Google. Without quality natural (if possible) backlinks you will likely always be pages away in the SERPs.
  11. SEO Since 97

Your backlink plan won't produce much if anything and 15 "bad" links also won't be a problem.
    Constant site changes could be keeping you in what your calling a constant google dance. But it's hard to tell without looking at the site and backlink profile.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In the last 2 days I have become static on page 7 moving from page 65th to 62nd position!

In all fairness I didn't think the directories where all that bad they where all PR5 and above, had relevant categories. Im not sure if its actually the directories that have landed me on page 7? but I made some changes to the titles and descriptions the day before.

The link back profile is little to no links at all developed and the site has been running for 2 years.

Can I actually post my website here?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Correction on the above - Position 65 - 62*
  17. SEO Since 97

Can I actually post my website here?
    post it so it's not a link...use something like mysite[dot]org
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hemscottassociates[.]com
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

"bad" links may not be a problem but there don't seem to be any good links to balance those out. I found backlinks from 25 domains. Every single one is a directory and 14 of them use the anchor text "ax back uk." You may not have been penalized, but there is nothing bringing any authority to your site either. Your onpage efforts will only get you so far.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Adam,

I disavowed those 14 links last week.

I'm currently doing some citations to increase the quality of the back links.

Last week we was on page 7 with the pension review page, today where on page 12 with the homepage.

The site used to be a Tax Rebate site, but has been adjusted to suit the new service, this morning I've changed a bunch of citations that listed us under tax refunds to a better suited category and was listing the wrong address.

Hopefully.... 3 month down the line i should see some gain.

How my on-site stuff, ive really only touched the homepages content, and the titles and descriptions and across the site i created.

Cheers for your replies
  25. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Do you have an unnatural link penalty? If not, then you simply need higher quality links.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Josh,

All pages seem to be indexed, so i don't think that's the problem. I disavowed a bunch of links that i would call poor quality and unnatural. (since i did this we have come back)

As it goes for this week, page 10 in the morning page 7 in the after noon, but the whole SERP's from page 4 onwards seems to be frequently changing. Everytime i post a blog on a subject related to the main service it ranks in the top 20 positions which are very static. so i dont understand why i cant get the service page to rank.

I did 45 directory submissions to the ones you would use for local SEO yesterday, such as Yell, 192, Scoot etc so I'm eagerly awaiting to see the results. I made sure all the citations where the same excluding the description and no mentions of Keywords in the Business name or brand section.

The back links as its been suggested a few times have little to none! and they are all not really relevant, I'm a bit lost how I'm going to gain these links for pension reviews as its recently had a bit of a bad light put on it. any suggestions would be really helpful. Because my plan was to maybe look at offering content in return as an article for their site with a mention of my site and a link with a no keyword. but i was thinking 10 Maximum? and targeting pension sites as they are not really in direct competition with us.

I did some similar changes to one of our other websites 2 weeks ago, and this morning/afternoon they are ranking 1st in Google for their main keyword from the bottom of page 2 which they where originally ranked.
  29. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by carbs4me
    Hi Josh,

All pages seem to be indexed, so i don't think that's the problem. I disavowed a bunch of links that i would call poor quality and unnatural. (since i did this we have come back)

As it goes for this week, page 10 in the morning page 7 in the after noon, but the whole SERP's from page 4 onwards seems to be frequently changing. Everytime i post a blog on a subject related to the main service it ranks in the top 20 positions which are very static. so i dont understand why i cant get the service page to rank.

I did 45 directory submissions to the ones you would use for local SEO yesterday, such as Yell, 192, Scoot etc so I'm eagerly awaiting to see the results. I made sure all the citations where the same excluding the description and no mentions of Keywords in the Business name or brand section.

The back links as its been suggested a few times have little to none! and they are all not really relevant, I'm a bit lost how I'm going to gain these links for pension reviews as its recently had a bit of a bad light put on it. any suggestions would be really helpful. Because my plan was to maybe look at offering content in return as an article for their site with a mention of my site and a link with a no keyword. but i was thinking 10 Maximum? and targeting pension sites as they are not really in direct competition with us.

I did some similar changes to one of our other websites 2 weeks ago, and this morning/afternoon they are ranking 1st in Google for their main keyword from the bottom of page 2 which they where originally ranked.
    I don't want to sound rude, but those links youre describing are not going to help you - at least not by much. Are you sure you're using proper data to gauge your rankings?

Are you logged in, etc? Customized results?

There's no real number game to links. Each niche/industry is different as such, the competition levels will be different as well.

I would be curious to know if you can confirm you are NOT seeing personalized/customized results by being logged into Google.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: