1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is this strategy still okay?

About 10 years ago I designed a website for my father regarding carpet cleaning. I researched SEO on this site a lot and had some very good success with my strategy.

Basically this is what I did:

Directed page content: One topic per page. I had around 75 pages of content on his site.

Keyword research: I used tools like Google Keyword tool to come up with 3 terms per page/topic that I wanted to rank for. Some times it was a two word phrase and some times a 3 word phrase.

Page Title (80 chars): I put the page title content like this... User readable title that included my TWO OR THREE WORD PHRASE | three word phrase

Description: I would type a description about 250 characters or less. In this description, I would try to "naturally" have my two or three keyword phrases included. It was typed as natural sentences though, not just Keyword 1, Keyword 2, Keyword 3

H1 Tag: I would have 1xH1 tag on the page that was a Sentence/phrase which included my keyword phrase

2-3x H3 Tags: These would break up the content to be more readable. I would then Include int he H3 tags a sentence that included one of the phrases

Basically... My goal was to have the keyword phrases repeated 2-3 times each in the page, but made sure that the keyword inserts made sense with the content and was readable (user experience).

I had some fantastic success with this. I was highly ranking within bigger local cities as the 1-3 spot consistently. In fact, it was so good that even though nothing has been done with that SEO/site in about 4-5 years it is STILL ranking for some of the terms and dropped to probably about 6-8 for some of the other terms. I also followed that up with writing articles about say, removing ____ stains from your carpet. Then give the directions on how to do that. But in that article I would link back to the appropriate page on the site. This helped a lot with ranking.

QUESTION:

Is this strategy still okay? Note that I make sure that EVERYTHING makes sense when you read it. It sounds natural.

I was talking to a marketing company recently and I they said that this is "keyword stuffing" and that I will be slapped for it. I don't think they are correct because it is "natural content". My guide has always been if you read it and it sounds natural then it is okay. Am I wrong with the way SEO is today?
    Last edited by jim.thornton; Mar 14th, 2019 at 10:21 AM.
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

That is a fairly sound content strategy. Its still OK but may need some tweaks.

Keyword stuffing is definitely bad, but it sounds more like you are highlighting and creating relevant content sections and delivering actual useful readable content.

On the keyword selection - single keyword match is less important now, its more about LSI (latent semantic indexing) and relevant terms so you can focus around a general theme but catch several related keywords. I would call this keyword sprinkling.

Also titles - having more than 3 words in the title is good - the optimum depends to an extent on the market and niche.

Using your title and description to get good CTR is something that matters and helps now that didn't 10 years ago.

Longer higher quality content is better 1800 + words.
    Short and sweet URLs.

Making sure the page delivers something that your competitors don't.

You might want to limit the number of pages - perhaps by a factor of 5 from your 75 and cover a range of topics more in depth.

There is some great advice from Backlinko on content marketing

Generally, not considering anything else - would you read it and does it make sense to your users - let that be your guide.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks for the response. It's good to know that I'm on the right track.

With regards to "LSI (latent semantic indexing) and relevant terms". Is there any information that you can provide that I can read up on this? I've never heard of this before.
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Here is an article on Latent Semantic Indexing from Backlinko

Basically - its just about being related to a topic in a contextual way rather than being exact keyword matching.
    It is actually possible to rank well for some reasonably competitive keywords without even mentioning that keyword - and without the keyword being in a lot of anchor text. I am not suggesting not to mention your main keywords, merely pointing out the significance of latent semantic indexing and how smart Google is.