1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Strange, Sudden Drop In Rankings! Penalty?

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me, I've been trying to optimize a site for a while now and we were doing fairly well with rankings of around 2nd and 3rd page for the most popular search queries. However my site has suddenly dropped and I can barely find it using popular keyword searches. Unfortunately I wonder if this is due to keyword stuffing or a possible use of hidden text keywords. I'm pretty sure it's not banned as my pages are still indexed. I wonder if there's a way of knowing if my site has been penalized and if so how to get it unpenalized?

If you've got any advice please comment, thanks.
    Last edited by joeyjoejoeeee; Feb 5th, 2008 at 04:51 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you "wonder" if it is due to keyword stuffing or hidden text then that must mean you have participated in this practise, so the answer is in the question !

If you want to cheat the search engines then you have to know how to make it undetectable.
  5. No Profile Picture

I don't want to cheat. Everything has been corrected and a mistake has been learned. I'm just looking for advise on how to get
    the site rankings back? Do I need to contact Google? How can I tell for sure that the site has been penalized?
  7. In the game since Jan '06
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by joeyjoejoeeee
    I don't want to cheat. Everything has been corrected and a mistake has been learned. I'm just looking for advise on how to get
    the site rankings back? Do I need to contact Google? How can I tell for sure that the site has been penalized?
    I don't think Google will entertain a letter of apology from you... Re-do your entire website optimization and make sure there are no elements that could be interpreted as "black-hat" (hidden keywords, keyword stuffing, etc.)
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." - George Best
  9. No Profile Picture

OK cheers, i've made the changes - A few days ago the site did pop back to where it used to rank but only stayed there for a day. If I just wait is there a possibility that it will come back where it used to be (hopefully for longer than a day).

thanks
  11. No Profile Picture

Lesson learned, google will catch on to black hat techniques sooner or later. I am working with a site right now, who fights me at every turn regarding her keyword stuffing and will not listen as I advise her this must be deleted.

I will showcase this thread and hopefully we can get some understanding.
  13. No Profile Picture

how long does it take for a site to be removed of a penalization? or doesn't it? and how?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by joeyjoejoeeee
    Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me, I've been trying to optimize a site for a while now and we were doing fairly well with rankings of around 2nd and 3rd page for the most popular search queries. However my site has suddenly dropped and I can barely find it using popular keyword searches. Unfortunately I wonder if this is due to keyword stuffing or a possible use of hidden text keywords. I'm pretty sure it's not banned as my pages are still indexed. I wonder if there's a way of knowing if my site has been penalized and if so how to get it unpenalized?

If you've got any advice please comment, thanks.

sometimes rankings drop due to search engine update but if you think your site was penalized (this regards with Google) you can see when the Google toolbar had turned to color gray (PR indicator) you can apply for reconsideration by simply contacting Google, they will give you reasons why such action was done...
  17. No Profile Picture

the Google tool bar isn't gray, that's the strange thing. Everything else points out that the sites been penalized though, I'm not sure what's going on? I mean I can't even find the site on any google page wehn searching for popular keywords yet the site isn't banned.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

now you better avoid applying black hat on your site as google is too intelligent to detect it,. Just be thankful since your site was just penalized instead of banned,. Penalized would just drop your SERP
  21. Contributing User

performing black hat strategy to a site is too risky. IMO, you should not be surprise if something like that happen to you.
  23. No Profile Picture

I'm currently feeling your pain.

The homepage of my web site seems to have been dropped completely by Google, for huge keywords (20 million results). I was ranking top 10 for some massive keywords and now the homepage has disappeared from the top 1000. Other internal pages are generally unaffected, still ranking in the top 10, but for 2 to 4-word phrases.

Is it just your homepage seeing massive dips too? Or the site as a whole?

Oh, and if you're sure you've rectified the possible offending pages on your site, login to Webmaster Tools and request a reconsideration.
  25. Contributing User

When you do a search at McDar on the DC's how is the site ranked as compared to the Google one. If it falls at various points like 100, 400, 800 based upon keywords its likely related to overoptimization. If it hasn't dropped below 400 chances are adding a couple of sentences unrelated to the keywords will bring you back.

Have you checked inurl: for sites hijacking your content?

Google seems to be on a tear for the past two months where many keywords appear well ranked in the DC's but on Google.com they can drop sharply or not even appear. Apparently filters kick in.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You promote black hat websites with black hat seo, you dont use black hat seo on white hat websites that you can't afford to lose !!