1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Strange New Client SEO Case: can this be done?

Hello all....
    I'm changing the names of all concerned here to try to protect the id of the client.

I have been approached by a food processing client, who also has consumer stores and restaurants to do the following...

If you google the term "food recall" and click on the link to FLAPA, then down the page under FSANZ, you will see a list of food items recalled by the food standards people in Australia listed under "Current consumer level recalls"

This shows a list of food items recalled by the govt agency that may/might/did cause illness in consumers. When you click on one, say the "Custard..." one, you get detailed listing of the product (Shrek Chocolate Custard among others) and the food processing company -- Dairy Farmers.

I have used this example ONLY to show that such recalls are out there, and can be looked up quite easily on the net. In no way do I mean to impugn the product nor company that I listed here as an example only!

My client is like Dairy Farmers. When you do a search on their name, you get 8 outta 10 hits that all point to the govt pages that list the recall, or media sources that reported same. This is not good....

This occurance has been handled, I've checked with our govt and their inspection agencies and the few boxes of product that were out there have been destroyed. The client has begun an active "damage control" process, part of which is the question to me (and for which I'm asking your advice here)

Can those 8 out of 10 rankings be diminished? They are simple links that use the corporate name, and are not optimized at all for any kind of online SEO.

Can this be done? If so, how might you suggest in creating a "new" seo program that would (even slowly) replace those 'bad' notices with good ones or even none at all?

And further, what would you say timeline wise it'd take to do this kind of seo?

Jim
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

The 8/10 pages could be simple and not SE optimized but if they're from major news agencies and government agencies, it could be harder to push them out then you would think. Similar to the way mentioning your site in this forum will make that forum post have a higher ranking then your actual website - in certain cases.

Sorry I couldn't help more, I know someone will be able to though
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Ah..I see....I think?

Is what you're indicating, is these govt and media sites take on the "value" of an Authority site and hence their hits will or may remain? Surely tho, if I create new sites and new targeted pages to rise "above" those items, I can slowly force them down and down, further from the top 10 to say the top 100 or more?

Anyone "know" about this?

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Caught in a similar situation myself, i created a few "information" sites and boosted them, I boosted my affialites, and i boosted portal sites (like @m@zon) selling my products by linking to them from sites. You could also try creating a blog network, ive seen success in those as well.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I think you could push them down over time - the news stories on the media sites might well disappear anyway as they become old news.

Press releases featuring the company might help and often have their own "media site" prestige, particularly if the client is willing to pay to appear on the larger PR release sites, although some are free - there are threads relating to press releases elsewhere in the SEO chat forums. The advantage over the official and media sites is you can write press releases that are fully SEO'd.

Some targetted product "mini sites" and maybe even the use of blogs might help.

IMHO
    Last edited by mountainmad; Nov 1st, 2004 at 01:27 PM. Reason: additions