Page 1 of 15 12311 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

The Sticky for Meta Description, keywords, keyword density, and title tags

Updated 2011!

Questions about meta tags and title elements routinely come through SEO Chat. Here are the largely accepted answers for these elements.

Title Element (some call it the Title Tag): Exceptionally important. Use it for page description, brand recognition, keyword placement. Want to know how many characters? Go count yourself in Google results. Google can read more, but places more prominence on the keywords at the start. Do'nt stuff unnatural keywords in a title element, make it concise and concrete.

meta description tags: IMO no benefit to ranking. IF it's off topic and unrelated Google may opt to use your content to generate their own description (meta description tags' only use are to provide a snippet of the content in the search results). We can almost certainly conclude you don't get a ranking benefit from having the tag.

The only benefit is that it may provide the impetus for more clicks then related result with an unclear description.

However most disagree whether this is actually true since tests are inconclusive. From my perspective it DOES help a small minority and is therefore beneficial for said reasons above. If you, however, have targeted content that will do well as a description, no need for the tag.

From my tests on eye-tracking and CTR the TITLE element is usually what people will view and not the description tag. Having said THAT we still have evidence that descriptions induce clicks for the top three results.

meta keyword tag: Useless. Ignore.

keyword density

There are some reputable SEOs who continue to write that keyword density is relevant. Fact is, there is no magic % you need to follow. You don't start writing content with a keyword density in mind, but rather, your content winds up with a final keyword density score (which likely plays little to zero role in helping your rank.)

If you have done the correct market research then you know what your target market wants to read. From there you will be writing relevant material based on demand and not based on what you think the best 'keywords' are.

Moral of the story? Write natural and value added content to your target market and never worry about keyword density. If you ever start with 'keyword density' or hear someone talk about it then run in th eother direction, these individuals at best don't understand or practice proper business analytics/research.

At the end of the day it's about your content. if you pay attention for LASTING and VALUABLE content to your target market then you will NATURALLY incur keywords throughout the document/page.

Write for people, optimize for engines, write great content for people, lasting content, valuable content. Stop WASTING time on densities. It's so 2003 .

The only other meta tags that can be useful (there are a lot of meta tags that people stuff in, few are required, even fewer have any benefit) are:

-Content Declaration (usually UTF-8)
    -Nofollow NoIndex (for an added layer of protection to prevent bots from visiting/indexing pages)
    -Canonical (again, added layer of protection to clarify what pages Google should treat as 'correct')
    -NOODP (if your descriptions are pulled from DMOZ)

Other than the first the rest are really unnecessary and none have an impact on your rankings.

Comments on this post

• jalaj4you agrees : deserves to be a sticky!
    • THE BERG agrees : Let's beef up valuable discussion and stop wasting our time answering the same questions.
    • Londoner : wtf, why is this a sticky?
    • fathom agrees
    • Mushu agrees : Thanks!
    • jsteele823 agrees
    • joannavaiou agrees
    • seo Shruti agrees : Great and Logical Info....
    • seodeviner agrees : Great thoughts you have shared. I would also like to share one thing is that we should use Page title pixel meter to measure Title length of web page.
    • pryidevs agrees : This post is very helpful for Seo companys
    • shubhamkashyap agrees : Thank you so much for making it so wonderful way of telling Blog.
    • salcapolupo agrees : very useful and short, thanks!
    • sarkeet agrees : #seofact
    • chauhan.prabhat agrees
    Last edited by distinctseo; Mar 2nd, 2011 at 08:49 AM.
    Distinct SEO | Calgary SEO & Web Marketing Consultants ~~ Our Blog ~~ Follow @distinctseo
  3. SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

great info! I must admit that I'm still in keyword density. I always rely on it cause I don't want to guess if my optimization is good or bad. I can tell that is good if it has a good density. I guess my method is wrong. Better change it by now and think of other ways!

better think of this one! Bookmarked this page!
    At the end of the day it's about your content. if you pay attention for LASTING and VALUABLE content to your target market then you will NATURALLY incur keywords throughout the document/page. If you write for search engines then you'll have to pay attention to your stupid English pages and your keywords densities.

Write for people, optimize for engines, write great content for people, lasting content, valuable content. Stop WASTING time on densities. that's so 2003

Comments on this post

• riinfotech agrees
    • shubhamkashyap agrees : Thank you so much for making it so wonderful way of telling Blog. Best Regards – (http://www.admissiontimes.com)
    • knishant086@ agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

meta tags

i think that in all the meta tags the description is important from all the meta tags.
    and of course the most important is the title..

Comments on this post

• knishant086@ agrees : The meta description should employ the keywords intelligently, but also create a compelling description that a searcher will want to click. Direct relevance to the page and uniqueness between each page’s meta description is key....
  7. No Profile Picture

seo master

Originally Posted by joe@biznet
    Yes the members of this forum are great, they'll help as much as possible.

As long as you try to contribute and as questions will be really helpful.

If we can help we will.

Thank you Joe
    i think many seo masters here. and they will help newbie like me about seo. i am still confuse about keywords density. i hope in this forum i can learn about it. thanks
    Last edited by gladioolers; Nov 16th, 2008 at 03:49 AM. Reason: adding something
  9. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by gladioolers
    i am still confuse about keywords density.
    Your confusion is warranted... it doesn't work!

Among the other topics is that one: http://forums.seochat.com/search-engine-optimization-28/on-page-optimisation----an-introductory-guide-216119.html
  11. Contributing User

I have to disagree with two things:

1. I DO find sticky threads very useful and I DO READ them. I just can't make out why on this earth anybody would not read a sticky if the information is there and considering the fact its been made a sticky by the experts and they must have found great value in the same.

2. I don't think Title tag can become irrelevant ever. Atleast not from users point of view as we would always need to know what the page is all about upfront and search engines can never discount this fact so can't remove it from a ranking factor IMO.

You can say it applies to meta description as well but it happened meta description had scope to be spammed heavily and this is not the case with title.

Originally Posted by seo-gurgaon
    i find sticky threads useless as most people don't read them anyway and i am one of them Most of these threads become outdated in few weeks/months and consequently become dangerous. Title tags are important today, but tomorrow they may not remain important at all. But an outdated sticky thread will keep on reminding to its readers, title tag is important unless someone bothers to update/remove it. People come on forums in serach of first hand and latest information on a particular topic/problem. If i have to read and read and read, then i will go to sites like searchenginejournal.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

After reading the comments from the expert i have also started adding meta keywords and description to web pages...

Let see how this would help me to rank in the SE.

Comments on this post

• hb7of9 : wtf ?
  15. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Zishan
    After reading the comments from the expert i have also started adding meta keywords and description to web pages...

Let see how this would help me to rank in the SE.
    Did you actually read those comments or did you write a typo...

"After reading the comments from the expert i have also started REMOVING meta keywords and description to web pages..."
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by djstreet

Anything between 0-100% is fine.
    Is 75% fine? Is 50% fine? Is 95% fine? What about keyword stuffing? Site with 75% in 400 words?

Can noobs can take this literally and act on it?

So why so many threads on here about KW stuffing? Google webmaster terms mention kw stuffing too?

Comments on this post

• fathom : You should become a milkman... it suits your intellect!
    Last edited by undercover_seo; Dec 7th, 2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Fathom twisting my words. Bold where he twisted stuff.
  19. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by undercover_seo
    Is 75% fine? Is 50% fine? Is 95% fine? What about keyword stuffing? Site with 75% in 400 words? Noobs can take this literally and act on it.

So why so many threads on here about KW stuffing? Google webmaster terms mention kw stuffing too.
    Ya... here's literally...

I have a site with a single word on the page... that's 100%.

With 3 words and single word phrases is 75%

With 2 words and single word phrases is 50%...

...are you literally saying that these precentages are keyword stuffing?

Noobies are not as stupid as you think they are... when you said "write naturally" or "write for the reader" they don't "naturally think you mean"...

keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am... keyword I, keyword am, keyword not, keyword as, keyword stupid, keyword as, keyword you, keyword think, keyword I, keyword am...

are they?

Comments on this post

• undercover_seo : sarcasm is not helpful to me.Added you to ignore list
    • hb7of9 : lol, that was such a funny diss comming from retard
  21. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by undercover_seo
    Is 75% fine? Is 50% fine? Is 95% fine? What about keyword stuffing? Site with 75% in 400 words? Noobs can take this literally and act on it.

So why so many threads on here about KW stuffing? Google webmaster terms mention kw stuffing too.
    This isn't sarcasm?

You actually believe this crap that noobies would take a 500 word page and make 375 the same phrase?

Ignore me all you want... I write for everyone else...

Hey all those that still read this post because they are ignoring me...

This guys post is the most idiotic I've ever seen on this forum... absolute pure crap!

In fact what was said was "stuff all you want" - if you want to; because it won't make you rank any better than 0%... it makes no difference... but obvious some people that thinks "an ignore list stops people from posting"... can't read and don't have any common sense.

Comments on this post

• undercover_seo : I said 400 not 500. Twisting words
    • jsteele823 agrees : Yeah, like the difference between 400 and 500 is a major ordeal. You're still an idiot.
    Last edited by fathom; Dec 7th, 2008 at 02:35 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by fathom
    This isn't sarcasm?
    This is sarcasm "You should become a milkman... it suits your intellect!"

Two insults to me at once and you never knew me? "milkman" to me is racist! I am not natively english speaking therefore I was only asking questions the best way my english understands and the context may not be correct but you welcome me with insults?

I had not ignored you yet but this is true now!
  25. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Undercover SEO... Welcome to SEO Chat. As you have likely noted... our members are quite outspoken. The one thing I want to pass along to you is that many of the big name SEOs here in the West started right here at SEO Chat.

WE TEACH SEO... If you want to learn the latest things in SEO, stick around. Take everything you have learned about SEO and put it in a basket or bowl to be stirred and filtered. MOST OR ALL of the SEO "rules" from a year or more ago are no longer true. SEO is changing rapidly...

Stay with us here and learn, teach, study, and experiment. We will argue... sometimes get angry... but always learn.

Again, welcome to SEO Chat.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  27. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    Undercover SEO... Welcome to SEO Chat. As you have likely noted... our members are quite outspoken. The one thing I want to pass along to you is that many of the big name SEOs here in the West started right here at SEO Chat.

WE TEACH SEO... If you want to learn the latest things in SEO, stick around. Take everything you have learned about SEO and put it in a basket or bowl to be stirred and filtered. MOST OR ALL of the SEO "rules" from a year or more ago are no longer true. SEO is changing rapidly...

Stay with us here and learn, teach, study, and experiment. We will argue... sometimes get angry... but always learn.

Again, welcome to SEO Chat.
    Thankyou SEO_AM! Yes I came to register here to learn and share. Not to be a figure of insults after I only made 2 posts? Outspoken is good but why ridicule new members like so? This Fathom person has insulted me and twisted my words for no reason. I spent lots of time reading rules and this should not be a welcome to noobs? I do not feel welcome here at all.
  29. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Fathom... believe it or not... is one of the most competent SEOs walking the planet today... He is a pain in the a**... but we love the old bastard.

Comments on this post

• expensetracker agrees : Yes u have discuss the 2011,what is the view on 2013
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... Last
  • Jump to page: