1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Starting a site in 3 months, what should I do now?

I am starting a large content site and it will go live in about 3 months or so. I placed a link on one of my current pages to get it indexed by google as soon as possible. It is basically a text site right now that explains what the site will be. Should I put up the categories and major subcategories I have so google has those as well?

Is there any other stuff I should do so that the site can be indexed as soon as possible when the launch is ready? Is there anything I should be careful about (the link is on a separate class C)?

Thanks for any advice.
  3. Modsky
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

The sooner you can get building links the better.
    Webmasters who spend their energies upholding the spirit of the basic principles [Of Google] will provide a much better user experience and subsequently enjoy better ranking than those who spend their time looking for loopholes they can exploit. Google.com

Real Estate
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I hate to sound so bleek, but I would move your revenue and traffic projections estimates from Google out at least 6 months. I have heard a lot of people saying the sandbox lasts 6 months, yet many many webmasters have sites that have been in the sandbox for 7-9 months., so the 6 month figure is hogwash.
  7. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Get backlinks... once that is done... get more backlinks.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  9. No Profile Picture
    Veteran SEOCHAT Member
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by hdpt00
    Should I put up the categories and major subcategories I have so google has those as well
    Yes - as long as you can fill them up with some good content and update it often......

The more frequent the updates the better....

I have a feeling that daily fresh content and steady links will get you out of the sand box sooner than you think.....

It's just a guess - but a good one - I've been testing it out on a current project....

After the next BL update I'm going to start some decent queries on the project which is only 4 weeks old....
    -
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

How could I get links to a site that is just text. Right now on the front page it is just a one sentence phrase on what the site is about.

What I was thinking of doing is just placing some links to sections i know I will have, like a widgets sections. And then on the widgets page just say, "This will be the page for all your widget needs." etc etc.

Should I do this, even though it is pretty much just text within a <body>? Or will google know that I am doing this just to get them crawling as early as possible? The template for the site won't be done for another 2 weeks or so. So it is all text for now.
    Last edited by hdpt00; Dec 7th, 2004 at 11:10 PM. Reason: I can't speel.
  13. No Profile Picture
    adr
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by hdpt00
    How could I get links to a site that is just text. Right now on the front page it is just a one sentence phrase on what the site is about.

What I was thinking of doing is just placing some links to sections i know I will have, like a widgets sections. And then on the widgets page just say, "This will be the page for all your widget needs." etc etc.

Should I do this, even though it is pretty much just text within a <body>? Or will google know that I am doing this just to get them crawling as early as possible? The template for the site won't be done for another 2 weeks or so. So it is all text for now.
    Add 300 to 500 words of content. It doesn't need to be good copy. You should at least try to get your name ranked before you launch unless you name is just pure keywords. Its For link building, find directories to add yourself too. Also you could write a couple short articles and publish them on a bunch of sites for inbound links. And don't forget about forums, most forums allow you specify a homepage in your user profile.