1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Spike in (404) not founds, what to do?

Hi All,

My ecommerce site uses URL segments for faceted navigation, like so: example.com/shop/shirts/mens/purple/large

Recently I setup a process for updating the website's inventory from our internal system, so a bunch of products have become no longer available. It's caused many URLs that Google had indexed to become 404 because, using the example URL above - we no longer have any men's large purple shirts. There are about 2000 of them.

I hate to see all these errors in the webmaster account, but it is accurate. Is there anything I should do? Is my site being penalized for a sudden spike in 404s? I feel strongly that Google would push my site lower on the SERPs due to a sudden spike in 404s, certainly it must appear like an unstable or poor quality site. I considered adding those URLs to my robots.txt as disallowed, then requesting their removal... but what if I get new merchandise with those same facets? How is something like this usually handled in ecommerce?

Thanks for reading, I certainly appreciate your expertise.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Vla

Google webmaster tools, manually if are not to many...
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply Vla. I'm not sure what you mean. "Manually" what? I use Google webmaster tools, and I can see all of the 404s. Since they're actually 404s, I don't intend to "Mark as Fixed" any of them.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Vla

Go to - Webmaster Tools - Optimization - Remove URL and after that mark as fixed
    and remove them manually - one by one if are not hundreds or thousands

and your problem solved

After you do this -wait two-three days - create a new sitemap and submit it

Good luck
  9. No Profile Picture

Awesome. Thanks Vla! Manual or not, I want them gone!
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Vla
    Go to - Webmaster Tools - Optimization - Remove URL and after that mark as fixed

and your problem solved

Good luck
    There is no need to remove them manually, as long as your sitemap is up to date either manually or through a CMS then there is no need to re-submit your sitemap as webmaster tools automatically scans the sitemap for any differences. Don't worry about the errors too much, especially with a site your size as you would probably be changing items/clothing on a regular basis so getting error messages would be common.

I would suggest creating a 404 error page so you can let customers know the product no longer exists with a link back to the home page perhaps or even setting up a general re-direct in .htaccess for all your dead pages (this is only a couple of lines and saves hours of work!), and it gives the spiders somewhere to point to when they have reached an error page.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Vla

and your problem solved

Good luck
    There is no need to remove them manually, as long as your sitemap is up to date either manually or through a CMS then there is no need to re-submit your sitemap as webmaster tools automatically scans the sitemap for any differences. Don't worry about the errors too much, especially with a site your size as you would probably be changing items/clothing on a regular basis so getting error messages would be common.

I would suggest creating a 404 error page so you can let customers know the product no longer exists with a link back to the home page perhaps or even setting up a general re-direct in .htaccess for all your dead pages (this is only a couple of lines and saves hours of work!), and it gives the spiders somewhere to point to when they have reached an error page.