1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Spelling Mistakes & SEO

Hi guys,

I have a quick question regarding spelling errors and their implications for SEO.

I have read that when assessing the quality of content, Google takes into consideration spelling mistakes as well as other errors. However, what happens when your site relies on a lot of user-generated content such as this forum? Obviously the site owner can't be held responsible for other people's mistakes surely? (I am aware most try to combat this with integrated spell checkers).

Also, when conducting keyword research, some people integrate common misspellings which means they will need to include spelling mistakes in order to rank for them - do they get penalized?

Does anyone have any legitimate research or trusted resources which explain this conundrum fully or backs up either side of the argument?

Also, does anyone know of a good website spellchecker tool?

Thanks. (I hope this thread also helps others)
    Rick
    Like my answer above? I am all over Google+! You may also like my SEO Audit Cheat Sheet.
  3. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by rickeliason
    I have read that when assessing the quality of content, Google takes into consideration spelling mistakes as well as other errors. However, what happens when your site relies on a lot of user-generated content such as this forum? Obviously the site owner can't be held responsible for other people's mistakes surely? (I am aware most try to combat this with integrated spell checkers).
    Interesting.

I remember watching a Matt Cutts video where he said spelling wasn't in the 200 ranking factors, but I think the video was from a year or two ago so that could well have changed now, especially with panda etc.

Where did you read it?.

My spelling and grammar is shocking so I always have to put any content I write through checks on word, otherwise site visitors might think my first language wasn't English .
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

OK - this is just a guess, but I seriously doubt Google uses a spell checker to try to determine what some nonsense word on the page means. That along with proper HTML code is the responsibility of the site owner. Way too many possibilities to misinterpret content if Google tried to second guess what the site owner intended.

Of course Google does try to offer alternative searches if the user misspells a search term.

As far as penalties and downgrading quality for misspellings - a lot of user generated content (this forum is one example) comes from people that don't use English as a primary language. Lots of spelling errors, and I think Google recognizes that.

So, IMHO aim for proper spelling on the content you do have control over (more for user experience than for Google) and don't worry about the user content.

Ed
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Spelling Mistakes in SEO

I think most of user make mistake of words during searching. Google use spell Cheker to check the mistakes but these are users that mistake. User didn't make any mistake for this google also provide dictonary when we write some thing so that chances of errors become less and less. I didn't know any selling checker that provide us accurate result.
  9. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by pinktaffy001
    I think most of user make mistake of words during searching. Google use spell Cheker to check the mistakes but these are users that mistake. User didn't make any mistake for this google also provide dictonary when we write some thing so that chances of errors become less and less. I didn't know any selling checker that provide us accurate result.
    ^ If they punish bad English, the forum is in trouble lol.
  11. No Profile Picture

There was a time some years back when website owners included misspelled words for so that search engines would pick up the misspelled term and websites would get more traffic from the search. I have had site visitors pick up on the misspelling and tell me how unprofessional I was. Best to spell everything you can correctly. I use the free paper grader on the PaperRater website. It not only checks spelling but it also checks grammer. Its the best I've found for free.
  13. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by MyWebPromotion
    There was a time some years back when website owners included misspelled words for so that search engines would pick up the misspelled term and websites would get more traffic from the search. I have had site visitors pick up on the misspelling and tell me how unprofessional I was. Best to spell everything you can correctly. I use the free paper grader on the PaperRater website. It not only checks spelling but it also checks grammer. Its the best I've found for free.
    I guess you forgot to use it for this reply? Only kidding.....lol I was going to reply with a post full of misspellings but thought better of it.

I had this some time back about misspellings and trying to gain additional traffic off of those misspellings. I wasn't going to include it in the actual content but at the end, add a small blurb for common misspellings. I did see this on a website once and it was for a few terms that were commonly misspelled. I don't recall the logistics of the page but I did find it off a misspelling. Unfortunately, I do not remember the page. I didn't have the guts to actually do this on a website so I cannot verify its effectiveness. I'm not sure how Google views something like this now-a-days either.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  15. Here to help
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by eddyf
    As far as penalties and downgrading quality for misspellings - a lot of user generated content (this forum is one example) comes from people that don't use English as a primary language. Lots of spelling errors, and I think Google recognizes that.

So, IMHO aim for proper spelling on the content you do have control over (more for user experience than for Google) and don't worry about the user content.

Ed
    I agree with you eddyf, (I wonder if you will be penalizd for the miss spelling of your name, LOL) but with the advent of Google Instant and their search suggestion as you type, I think the use of miss spellings are on the near horizon of demise. Not saying it is, just my opinion.

It may be in the near future, when you search, you will not be allowed to miss spell a word in your search. Then all those site that invested in that practice will have to change their content. Who knows.

Now I think I spelled every thing correctly. (except your name)
    Here to Help, Nothing More.....
    Good SEO isn't Cheap and Cheap SEO isn't Good !!
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In 2001 I used to optimize for all the possible mis-spellings for all my keywords and I was raking in customers till almost 2009. Now Google corrects the mistakes and directs the customers to the right pages so they are just typos.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : It does hurt SEO in that light.
  19. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by DarrenHaye
    ^ If they punish bad English, the forum is in trouble lol.
    The forum is in trouble in that respect.

That's more than likely why we get so many of those kind of posts, they search the same way they type, and we come up...so the more crap we clean out the less we'll show up for those terms.
  21. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I don't buy that G worries about spelling. Hell, the Brits can't spell and they seem to do OK in the SERPs.

Besides, there are so many times my iPad corrects me only to put in the wrong word. So, I don't see how G could include this in the algo as part of quality content.
    Frankly, I wonder who Frank is and why he has his own adverb.
  23. No Profile Picture

A well written text with a good content should be correct from the spelling and grammatical points of view too. These two components will contribute to clarity and style. In case you fail, you’ll attract engine penalties or you lose the interest of your readers.

Also, Google tries to identify the quality of a content as best as it can (top-google-priority actually). Therefore, I would suggest you checking the grammar and spelling seriously if you want to be ranked properly in SERP.