1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Someone must teach the spider grammaire -or better not

I have notice that people tend to write in plural forms when they want to search for something, simply becouse they expect to find "many" sites with their search term. So, if someone wants to find a sailing school for example, he will write "sailing schools".

Unfortunately, for the spider the words "school" and "schools" are two different words. If I try to set up my "sailing school" page using the plural is not so easy, never the less that people will believe that I suffer from megalomania when I use continously the plural, when actually there is only one school promoted.

I have discovered that one way to overcome the problem is to use the apostrophe. The spider is a stupid beast and does not recognize grammaire, so if I write "our saililing schools' teacher ..." the job is done. The beast (sorry, the spider) sees only the term "sailing schools" and ignores the apostrophe. It's tested and it is working wih google.

Any other technique suggested regarding that problem will be appreciated.
  3. The only way to go
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi

I'm not quite sure what you mean!

schools' means as applying to schools
    on the other hand
    school's means as applying to school

Are you are trying to get google to recognise the plural without having to write it twice?

Other search engines "stem" the search phrase so the plural and the singular are recognised off the one word but this is not the case with Google as you know
  5. Contributing User

Well, any character would work that's not a letter.

School(s)
    School[s]

But you will want to use the plural as that's probably what people search for.

We had a thread on this about titles.

If you're using sailing schools as a keyword but want school in there I would use a title

"Sailing Schools - Sailing school is fun "

Or something like that. I may bmissing your point but, if it's not optimized to what people are actually looking for then.

Use the plural form in title's for hfref's and alt tags if you don't want to write schools on your page.

OR you could use CSS and just have it say school through CSS even though you wroite schools.
  7. No Profile Picture

I know, but at least schools' can be taken as a minor typing error, never the less that non English origined people won't even notice it.

I'm not saying that is the perfect solution, that is why I asked for suggestions
  9. The only way to go

Gotcha

I couldn't understand what you were driving at until me mate wiz focused me old aging eyes!

You are "worrying" about your text

The answer is in how you write your text and as a sailing person I would suggest something like this:

"there are many Sailing Schools in the world but nothing like this Sailing School!"
  11. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

why not consider calling each session of instruction a "school" on your site... then if you can easily work the word "schools" into your text....

We have six sailing schools each summer. Select the one that works best for you from the list of schools below...

June 21-23
    June 28-30, etc...

This might make it easy to work "school" and "schools" both into your text in a way that sounds natural.
  13. The only way to go

Cool Egol now we're talking
  15. Contributing User

Re: Someone must teach the spider grammaire -or better not

Originally posted by "avournas"

I have notice that people tend to write in plural forms when they want to search for something, simply becouse they expect to find "many" sites with their search term. So, if someone wants to find a sailing school for example, he will write "sailing schools".
    That is not a "problem" - that is correct use of English grammar. When I type a plural, it means I am looking for a generic response and if I type a singular and with the definite article (the), it is a specific item.

The problem of plurals arises when you see that English has many words that are singular but end in "s" and you get the wrong answer if you take away the s. e.g. "blinds" are something you hang in a window, like curtains, but you don't usually refer to a single blind. This was noted in another forum in the context of Overture using your maximum bid amount if it did a guess and displayed your ad to someone using a similar but not exact search keyword. (I have forgotten the exact OV term for it). Therefore, someone looking for something for blind people should not be shown something about blinds.

In the US I sometimes notice the singular "jean" and "pant" but in real English-speaking countries, these words are always used in the plural. Scissor as a singular is usually a modifier, e.g. scissor-cut.

- Ash