1. Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Somebody explain this....

I'm going to have to give some URL's here, no spamming intended (don't really care if this site gets traffic anyway) But first I have to tell a story (hopefully brief). I have a hobby website called Street Rod Central. A long time ago it was on the domain streetrodcentral.com. I moved it to street-rodding.com because a friend let me use the domain and it already had a searchable database on it that my visitors could use. Since streetrodcentral.com had a few backlinks to it I just duplicated the home page of street-rodding.com on it and sent the links to street-rodding.com. Okay now on with the story.

Up until this update, streetrodcentral.com only had a PR of 2 with maybe 10 backward links because over the years new links went to street-rodding.com. Check it now. It has a PR 5 and has 216 backward links! Now, LOOK AT THE BACKWARD LINKS. They all use the anchor text "Street Rod Central" but point to STREET-RODDING.COM not STREETRODCENTRAL.COM but they're counting as backward links to streetrodcentral.com! Now check the backward links on Street-Rodding.com. EXACTLY 216 BACKWARD LINKS AND VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL TO THE BACKWARD LINKS ON STREETRODCENTRAL.COM. I can back this up with another example. A friend of mine has a domain that could be easily misspelled. He bought the domain name of the misspelling and redirected it to the proper domain with no links pointing to it. Same situation. Page Rank 5 and IDENTICAL BACKWARD LINKS as the target domain (although this is a redirect so that could be the reason on this one).

I need to add that Street Rod Central did not get zapped on this update. No, instead my $$ site did.

Does all this seem strange or am I just stupid?? Does this give any clue about the new algo or am I still stupid?

Is the new algo looking for keywords in 1. Anchor Text 2. Domain name 3. Page Title 4. Page content...in order?

Sorry about the long post but this is very weird to me.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

What exactly is your question?? Hard to explain something when there is no actual question or problem!!!
  5. web designer
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

radrace....

what search phrase did streetrodcentral.com get 'zapped' on?
    it doesnt look like it was 'street rod central'.
    both sites show up #1 and #3 for this phrase.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

by it not getting zapped on "Street rod central" again is evidence for the theory that the filter was only applied to more competitive phrases. I doubt that one gets many searches.
  9. Modsky
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I think the question was "Does the described situation seem strange" php*

Does seem odd though seems G is treating them as identicle sites for backlinks. Did you have a redirect on this and then remove it? That is a cheating way to get a PR 10 to show up on your domain, (forward your domain to Yahoo for a period and then reverse) for 1 update you show Yahoo's backlinks and a PR 10 (NOTE THIS DOES NOT HELP WITH RANKINGS AND IS WELL KNOWN)
    Anyways interesting situation
  11. No Profile Picture

Unhappy Google doesnt make me giggle.

Ironically I have had a quite similar situation..

Main site (a victim of the great Missing Index Page on Google debate)

This site new 2 months short of being a year old and listed in google for about 5-6 months with an ok position on important keywords and great positions on not so popular keywords. My favorite keyword phrase has two words however my domain used only one of those words in it followed by a descriptive word. So, i purchased a domain name with my keyword phrase and that descriptive word at the end. Figured this could either help seo stuff, or perhaps people would go to this domain name forgetting the main one doesnt have the keyword phrase but just the one word.

Anyhow...
    It was basically a duplicate site, with a completely different design, some variations of text throughout, less features, and a different main page. Same product catalog. I did happen to have it redirect to the original domain name a couple times, but only for about 5 days total. I really wanted to use this domain for testing and other purposes such as having different sales than my main domain, things like that, however i hope that I am not hurting my main site just because i submitted it to google..

My main site is a PR5 with 55 backlinks (says google, but i beg to differ. I have found lots more sites with a link to my site in google than what they list, which is REALLY frusterating). I realize its probably the PR4+ issue but i'll complain about that further down this message.....

My newer domain was submitted to google with a laugh and not expected to be seen for a few months like my main one. Well, as a loyal user of the google toolbar I check PRs daily (with distress) and always check to see if maybe my second domain got listed. Amazingly it finally did... or did it?

When i search for backlinks for the newer domain name, i get the exact results for that domain as my main one. But those links are directed towards my main site not this one!

The newer domain shows up in google with no PR when u have the www. in front of it however when u take that off, it has the same PR5 as my other site...?

So thats my story..

A few things that I wanted to say without starting a new post:

How in the world is a person supposed to get backlinks? I have a site that sells things, many, infact. I also offer great prices and could easily see my site as being one of the 'main' ones. There are lots of sites that do the same thing however. Therefore the keywords/phrases are huge. Getting listed on the top 10 PAGES felt good. However now i feel my site is worthy of much more. It offers so much more than these sites that are higher than mine. Frankly it makes no sense. So, since the backlinks are so very low i figure that would make the site listed higher, if there were more. Its impossible!! The sites with the higher PR than my site DONT want to link to my site, and i dont blame them! Why would a competitor want to put a link to someones site that has better prices, or more selection?

I realize google is a 'free service' and they are doing the best they can and they do a great job but honestly.... they should 'hire' some people to make things a bit better. Why should my original site be listed (or at this point not listed) behind a selection of sites that contains domain redirects to domains already listed, duplicate domain names, pages that are just plain bad, sites that dont really have much to do with the keywords, sites that are subdomains and domain.com/directory/ sites, and foreign pages containing ?????????????????.

Previously mentioned, people say in various ways to not put all your bread in one basket, well.. thats fine but when google is the main way people find things its kind of hard to not. I never have been up top for my main keywords so its not effecting me to the extent of some, but its still a bad bad situation. I know that my site is of good quality and if i were searching for those keywords i would want to find my site listed. If my site is listed for these keywords this tells me that there must be sites of similar quality missing from google. Thats no good! I have started using other search engines for more important searches.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. My consistent google link tracking and various google server checking is really making me lose it. I have tried so many different things and am quite frusterated. I search for my keyword with the -alskjf after it as mentioned in another post and i show up on the third page for a main keyword.. AGH!

Welp, good luck everyone!

??: :-( :-? :sad: :-( :sad:
  13. No Profile Picture

LOL i havent typed anything that long in a long time............geez..
  15. Registered User

Originally posted by seo guy
    I think the question was "Does the described situation seem strange" php*

Does seem odd though seems G is treating them as identicle sites for backlinks. Did you have a redirect on this and then remove it? That is a cheating way to get a PR 10 to show up on your domain, (forward your domain to Yahoo for a period and then reverse) for 1 update you show Yahoo's backlinks and a PR 10 (NOTE THIS DOES NOT HELP WITH RANKINGS AND IS WELL KNOWN)
    Anyways interesting situation
    Seo Guy, no, I never had a redirect on it. To clarify, neither of these sites got zapped. I was referring to my main moneymaking site not mentioned in the post (check profile):sad:

I spent most of yesterday trying to figure out why some sites disappeared and others stayed strong. The main site that got zapped only disappeared for my main three keywords. It shows up fine on related terms that I have links into from other sites. This update seems to be looking at keywords in sites that link to the domain and deciding if it's relevant for that keyword.

"Hands in air, dumb look on face"
  17. No Profile Picture

Re: Google doesnt make me giggle.

Originally posted by Vyolett
    Ironically I have had a quite similar situation..

A few things that I wanted to say without starting a new post:

How in the world is a person supposed to get backlinks? I have a site that sells things, many, infact. I also offer great prices and could easily see my site as being one of the 'main' ones. There are lots of sites that do the same thing however. Therefore the keywords/phrases are huge. Getting listed on the top 10 PAGES felt good. However now i feel my site is worthy of much more. It offers so much more than these sites that are higher than mine. Frankly it makes no sense. So, since the backlinks are so very low i figure that would make the site listed higher, if there were more. Its impossible!! The sites with the higher PR than my site DONT want to link to my site, and i dont blame them! Why would a competitor want to put a link to someones site that has better prices, or more selection?

??: :-( :-? :sad: :-( :sad:

Sorry for chopping up your post, but the question you pose above is EXACTLY what I've been wondering about.

My plan is/was to go to the top results in the DMOZ and request a link exchange. But like you said, why would I want to put links on my site to my competitors, and at the same time, why would THEY want to link to me?!

Also, could someone with a Google toolbar check my PR for www.glamgal.com? I had to uninstall my toolbar because it was causing a VERY OLD version of my home page to appear. I've been asking around on the Google Toolbar forum to see if anyone has any thoughts on why this happened. With everything else that's going on, I'm scared to death to reinstall the toolbar.

Thanks.

Catmom
  19. Registered User

I see a 5