1. justificational oblivion
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Are some verticals and geolocations more immune to panda penalties than others?

Are some verticals and geolocations more immune to panda penalties than others?

This question has been brewing in me for a long time. My gut feeling is that yes, Panda
    is applied differently in emerging markets. People I have spoken to have said that their
    sites that have been hit by Panda and have not recovered in the US have not been hit in
    other geolocal markets. Also, I have worked with sites in a bunch of vertical where sites
    are typically *huge* ...and the sites do not get hit....so it seems like there is a bias there.
    Has anyone on here see this as well?

I'm especially curious if you're working internationally and SEO is 2+ years behind, sort of...and
    a lot of the older tactics work, just because it is an emerging vertical and Google is not looking
    to squash an emerging market because there are just less sites and they would have trouble serving
    stuff up because there is only so much local content.... looking forward ideas
  3. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I have a few thoughts...but all of this is speculation. I don't think anyone can answer these questions with certainty.

I do think it's possible that Panda rolls out in different locations at different times. When Panda initially hit, it only affected the US. Then, some time later it rolled out worldwide. But I don't think that there are any places in the world that are immune.

sites that have been hit by Panda and have not recovered in the US have not been hit in
    other geolocal markets.
    I've seen Panda hit sites that still ranked ok in local/google maps. Perhaps that is what you are seeing?

I have worked with sites in a bunch of vertical where sites
    are typically *huge* ...and the sites do not get hit....so it seems like there is a bias there.
    I think a huge site has the potential to have a bit of Panda protection built in. If I have a 4 page site with a blog and 90% of my blog is copied content then Panda's likely going to get me. If I'm a big corporation with a huge site I could have hundreds of copied articles in the midst of thousands of unique pages and perhaps not have enough duplicate content to trigger the filter. Or another possibility is that a site that is large may have a higher possibility of being put together properly.

I'm especially curious if you're working internationally and SEO is 2+ years behind, sort of...and
    a lot of the older tactics work, just because it is an emerging vertical and Google is not looking
    to squash an emerging market because there are just less sites and they would have trouble serving
    stuff up because there is only so much local content....
    I keep reading this and can't figure out what you are asking. I think that if I live in, say, Vietnam and I have a site that is full of thin and duplicate content, Google is still going to suppress my site in the search results. But...if I have a site that sells blue widgets in Vietnam, perhaps I have less potential to steal other people's content than a site that sells blue widgets in the US.

When you mention that the "older tactics work" are you talking about spammy backlink tactics? If so, this is probably not a Panda issue. Backlinks can cause Penguin to affect you or could evoke an unnatural links warning. If you are seeing lots of sites ranking well despite having a spammy backlink profile, that still happens in the US too. I think Penguin is in its infancy and is only just learning how to find people who are gaming the system.

Comments on this post

• whiterabbit agrees : great feedback :)
  5. justificational oblivion
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Thanks for your detailed response dr. marie, especially given that my questions were a little all over the place

When you mention that the "older tactics work" are you talking about spammy backlink tactics?
    Only onpage thin content tactics

I've seen Panda hit sites that still ranked ok in local/google maps. Perhaps that is what you are seeing?
    sorry for the confusion, was referring to other countries, like Germany/Austria, Spain/Bolivia, etc

International Sites & Panda

To clarify, the on-site content tactic that I'm seeing used is really aggressive page creation and internal linking strategy, basically the very 'thin' content strategy that was in it's zenith just before the Panda Update. So now, you're in an unusual position of: do you remove something that is "working" for the time being or do you leave the thin content as is for the time being, just keeping in mind that this will not be viable in the future?

I do think it's possible that Panda rolls out in different locations at different times. When Panda initially hit, it only affected the US. Then, some time later it rolled out worldwide. But I don't think that there are any places in the world that are immune.
    What I have seen for non-us/uk countries ...is that google overall has a looser leash generally

Search Niches and Panda

As a hypothetical example, there is the classifieds space: lots of very large sites. One of the characteristics of a classifieds site is that they are usually huge, because all the individual ads are getting indexed. Also, many of the ads, are very thin content. There are other search niches that are structured similarly. TONs of pages and TONs of thin content....yet, counter to intuition, these sites did not get hit. I was wondering if there is something about being in the classifieds space [ or a similar space], where google treats your niche differently....more importantly, based on your niche, does Panda treat you differently ?