1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

IS some thing going on - I'm seeing diff results on diff Google Servers

Currently, I search for one of my keywords in Chicago and I get my plain old results(#48 and #49). We've made a bunch of changes in the last week (i.e. complete CSS redesign, etc.). When my buddy searches from Detroit he gets a new ranking (#1 and #2). Is this something that will completely update throughout the google servers?

I'm kinduv at a loss for how to explain this.
    the keyword i'm testing is "busrates" and the site is http://www.busrates.com/

In fact - it seems to alternate between the old and new rankings each time I search. Try it: http://64.233.161.99/search?hl=en&lr=&q=busrates&btnG=Search
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Mar 10th, 2005 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Removed live link
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hello medianox,

The difference in search results is normal with Google. You can do a search on your computer with Google one minute and get one set of results, and the next minute you try the same search and get completely different results.

This is the result of your search on Google pulling results from a different Google data center.

At this moment, there are 2 different results flowing through the data centers. This has been non stop since 17 Dec. 2004. Until all the data centers are in agreement with one set of results, you will see different results on Google when you do a search.

Hope this helps..

Newcomer
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

i'm noticing two different results as well for a financial keyword i'm tracking. Theres a difference of at least 50 spots between the two, so somethings going on.
  7. No Profile Picture

Those of you with veteran status - what exactly might be going on with google? Are they making a major adjustment? Also, I noticed they've only indexed the root page on my site (they reindex this page each day) but not the new inside pages - will this indexing come later? I've got a robots.txt that tells them to follow every link.
  9. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Different DC will often give different results. Some may be for actual data, some has older data and some will be used to compile the new data of an update. Depending on your location and how busy the DC closer to you is, you may get different results if you are being served a different DC.
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...
  11. Registered User

Google Data Center switching

This changing of using different Google Centers is affecting everyone including me. :-?

My Hawaii Real Estate Website:

http://www.awesome-pc.com

is also being affected. One time the keywords Hawaii condominiums comes in at 14 another 25 on Google

Does anyone know how to know which data center is being used when you do a keyword check?

Sincerely,

Miles Takiguchi
  13. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

You can ping www.google.com from a dos command prompt and it will give you the IP of the center you are being served.
  15. Registered User

Finding Out Ip Of Google Datat Center

Originally Posted by Jocelyn
    You can ping www.google.com from a dos command prompt and it will give you the IP of the center you are being served.
    Thanks Jocelyn,

I have pinged Google and I have got two different ip's

www.google.akadns.net

Sincerely

Miles Takiguchi
    http://www.awesome-pc.com
  17. Contributing User

different data centers - different sandbox results?

these ups and downs i notice parallel in my sandbox results - 7% to 72% sandboxed - google position 5 to not in first hundred.