1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Some one has duplicated my contents on another site

Some one has published my home page contents on another site. What google do with it, penalize me or him and what is solution of this bad thing? I can not change my contents.
  3. A Developers Perspective
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google won't penalise you because someone has copied your content.

How long has your info been up before it was copied? Google will leave the one that its spiders crawled first. If by any chance they copied and got crawled first then unfortunately they may end up penalising you as it looks to them like you have copied the content.
    If you are new to SEO please read these, On-Page Optimisation and Meta data before asking questions.

Or if you would just like to view my website: http://www.cwhittaker.com, State SEOCHAT for 10% off custom websites
  5. Contributing User

I would not sit back and do nothing and trust Google will not penalise you. My site content was copied severely by numerous competitors and it seems I was the one that was penalised for this. After writing new content I regained my lost traffic so its clear copied content "can" have a negative effect!

Moving forward I would suggest contacting the site owner of the site that scrapped your content and request it be removed immediately. I would then recommend setting up an account with DMCA DMCA Protection & Takedown Services and be ready for any similar future situations. They offer an awesome service for protecting your content and requesting removal of copied content.

Comments on this post

• ChillDot agrees : Yep definately don't sit back and do nothing, whether or not it does affect rankings, they stole your work!
  7. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Go to this link instead of the home page DMCA Website Protection Pro and you will see a link to get the take down done for free rather then using the paid options

Also, its worth contacting google to let them know that someone is using your content and you are taking actions with a DMCA removal. You can do this via https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...-notice?pli=1& where you will simply need to login and give as much details as you can. Doing this will have google remove the site from the index, so its well worth doing just to get pay back on the site that's stolen your content so even after doing the DMCA they still will be screwed when it comes to ranking on google
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

1. He has just copied and paste my home page all contents on a very fake looking site. I'm going to send him a "Cease & Desist" letter first. If he removes contents by himself, it will be better. If not, then I'll go for other actions. Is it right?
    2. After that he has copied my contents, I checked that I've made some little change in my words. (Sorry that I checked that copying late). If I send request to Google, will Google consider that his contents are old than me and will Google think that I copied rather than him? I think Google can not be so silly? Am I right?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

"... I'm going to send him a "Cease & Desist" letter first."

I have had to do this twice. Of course it's easier if the other site is hosted within your own country, otherwise they know you can't do much with a "Cease & Desist".

In my case a polite but firm email had immediate effect. There are sample letters on the web. You want them to believe re-writing their content will be a lot less painful than the trouble you're about to unleash.

In both my cases it was some newbie web owner who was over-anxious to get a site up and stole my content. If your letter or email doesn't work, do as Nathaniel recommends.

Another thing I do is use absolute instead of relative URLs for all my internal links. That way they have to do some editing in order to use your code.

Ed
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by eddyf
    I have had to do this twice. Of course it's easier if the other site is hosted within your own country, otherwise they know you can't do much with a "Cease & Desist".
    He is not from my country, so as you suggested, I'll send him a polite request first
    In both my cases it was some newbie web owner who was over-anxious to get a site up and stole my content. If your letter or email doesn't work, do as Nathaniel recommends.
    In my case, he does not look newbie, but feels like he has deliberately do this to take me down because he looks from save niche and the site on which he has duplicated my contents is nothing but a simple page that he created just for this purpose.
    Another thing I do is use absolute instead of relative URLs for all my internal links. That way they have to do some editing in order to use your code.
    Can you explain this more?

Comments on this post

• eddyf agrees : With absolute URLs all links on the copied site will bring up your site. This is not what a person wants who has copied your site. They would need to edit all the URLs.
  15. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by ChillDot
    Google won't penalise you because someone has copied your content.

How long has your info been up before it was copied? Google will leave the one that its spiders crawled first. If by any chance they copied and got crawled first then unfortunately they may end up penalising you as it looks to them like you have copied the content.
    I don't know where you got the idea that the first content wins. That's never been the case. Most popular page/site wins. That's why scrapers were raking it in for a long time. Google has gotten wiser to scraper sites but you can get hit with a duplicate penalty if Google finds the copied content on a more popular site.

Incidentally, if you're in the US and the copied content is international, Google still has to honor a DMCA request.